Author Topic: Ancestral Manboard  (Read 3249133 times)

Nick Wynne

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27540 on: March 24, 2008, 06:57:18 PM »
Thanks to Bill, Michael and Tony for supporting the gig in Cirencester on Saturday.(shame about poor Kevin being struck down by a vicious bout of MAN Flu!!) The crowd was not as big as we had hoped but we ended up with 150 people, the majority of them man virgins (my friends and relatives!) Everyone had a great time! When was the last time you were at a man gig with half a dozen young women dancing?
Nick   aged 50 (once!)

Rob W

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27541 on: March 25, 2008, 12:38:29 AM »
I see Ringolevio are playing The Bar Fever, Wigan on 31 May. Advertised as "Ringolevio plus guests". I wonder who the guests will be? Will I be too old to go to a Ringolevio gig?

And whilst I'm on, not that I'm chasing the postman down the street or anything, but the prizes to the questions asked on the gtfm radio prog -I wonder if these are going the same way as the Deke's Angels gift things went   :eek2:

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27542 on: March 25, 2008, 02:25:33 AM »
Can anyone give me any advice on what to get/what to avoid in the Jefferson Airplane/Starship world post Volunteers and  Blows Against The Empire.  Mostly stuff in the first half of the seventies - I know to leave the 80's well alone :-)
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Tel

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27543 on: March 25, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
Allan

I have always had a liking for red Octopus, Jefferson Starship from 1975.

The line up is

Marty Balin
Grace Slick
Paul Kantner
Pete Sears
Craig Chaquico
Papa John Creach
David Freiberg
John Barbata

It's probably a little more sentimental than earlier Airplan/Starship albums (i.e. More love songs) but some great melodies - especially Miracles.

Pete M

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27544 on: March 25, 2008, 03:09:12 PM »
Allan, A Jefferson Starship album that can be bought cheaply, is relatively recent (1999) and I think very interesting is 'Windows of Heaven'.It has its low points but is generally good. Very wordy but full of the themes that Jefferson Airplane dealt with back in the 60s.
It features:
Paul Kantner
Marty Balin
Jack Casady
Diane Mangano
Slick Aquilar
T Lavitz
Prairie Prince

Get along to the Rhythm festival, Bedford during August as Jefferson Starship are there with Quicksilver Messenger Service and I do believe a band called 'Man' - oh, and if you like Ska music, Dave and Ansil Collins. (Link added on left)
Not sure what line up Jefferson Starship will have but they were certainly great at the tail end of 2006 with Paul Kantner, Marty Balin and David Freiberg. I do know that they've replaced Diane Mangano on vocals but I can't remember with who.

Mike Aboud

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27545 on: March 25, 2008, 07:39:32 PM »
Talking of which, does anyone know the QMS line-up for the Rhythm Festival? And are they worth giving the time of day to without Chippo? I have to confess my QMS collection is limited to Happy Trails and lost gold and silver. What else is worth investigating?

BTW on a more or less related thread, I've been listening to Sailor, the first or second Steve Miller Band album. What a revelation! I've always been fond of Fly like an Eagle, but this early stuff is just as good while sounding very different.

Ron S

• Career Records
Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27546 on: March 25, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »
Mike- the first QMS is a classic. I'm fond of Shady Grove, but it's not everyone's favorite. I'll even give the nod to the 4th one, Just For Love? It's got the dreaded Dino V, but it's got some good playing.

Sailor is a good one as is Children Of The Future, the first one. I'm been digging the new three lately: Brave New World, You're Saving Grace and Steve Miller 5. Avoid Rock Love, it's a real dog. I finally bought it, and just found it un-listenable.

Most of the major early SF band records are great: Dead, Airplane, CJ Fish, Moby Grape... maybe a few others.
The Country That Rules Magnetism, Rules The World

bill

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27547 on: March 25, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »
Rob - ref your GTFM prize, I've been in touch with Andy and he's asked if you can send (or resend!) an email to rockshow@gtfm.co.uk with your postage details and he'll get your prize off to you.

As you can imagine, at a small, local radio station he's on his own a bit with the Rock Show - hence my involvement with the "Listen Again" thing - so things can sometimes take a little extra time to happen!!

I'm chasing him for my prize as well by the way - I've won stuff on the Rock Show before and it always turns up eventually :-)

Rob W

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27548 on: March 25, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »
Hi Bill, thanks for that and obviously if I receive a prize, then great, I'll be well made up. If it hss gone by the wayside, then hey ho, such is life. By the way, I do listen to gtfm now.

On the topic of Ringolevio, I appreciate only just posted, and there is the minor distraction of a UK our at the moment, but when convenient, if Messrs Ace or anyone else can confirm the guests at the Wigan gig and will I be too old (!), I'd be grateful. Thanks,

Dave Bardsley

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27549 on: March 25, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »
Rob.  Age should not be a barrier to any music. But young ladies dance better than old ladies...

Ringolevio are different (as are the Spactaculars) from Man but are well worth a listen.  At The 100 Club they opened for Man and my two virgins (three if you counted my daughter) were impressed and suggested they should try for some gigs in the London pub/club venues. If you have nothing else to do, give them a go.

Colin J

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27550 on: March 26, 2008, 06:37:14 PM »
Saw the band in Pontypridd on Sunday evening,it was short,sweet and effing magic......i could have stayed there all night and listened.
This line with Phil back in the fold is even better than before,IMHO he adds some awesome keyboard playing to the set and i loved it...
Cheers lads for the music and chat
:beer: :beer2:

MICHAEL HEATLEY

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27551 on: March 26, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
I hope for Martin's sake he was dressed in masculine mode...

Martin Daughton

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27552 on: March 26, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »
Why are you shouting Michael?
Looks like I can't make Swansea. :-(
Have to save my pennies to go to Wembley instead as my stepdad has bought me a ticket...

tony

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27553 on: March 26, 2008, 10:30:27 PM »
Wow are Man playing Wembley?

Martin Daughton

Ancestral Manboard
« Reply #27554 on: March 26, 2008, 10:34:33 PM »
The Blue Man team are...