Author Topic: New Man remasters vs voiceprint reissues  (Read 32361 times)

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
Re: New Man remasters vs voiceprint reissues
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »
Give us a shout on michael@northdown.demon.co.uk to talk turkey.  ;D

Let's hope everyone gobbles them up  ::) :D
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
I thought he'd gone into mourning for Fulham..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

burningjapan

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »
Well, up to now, apart from Greasy Truckers 3cd I think all the remasters are incredible. Especially when you consider the primitive equipment some must have been originally recorded on. Maybe I have a faulty copy of Greasy Truckers, but where's Micky in the mix? Deke sounds so loud, not at all like the vinyl or the Man only version released a few years back. Feel like putting that cd with Spunk Rock and Angel Easy in the new 3cd case!

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 01:41:01 PM »
I don't think either of the guitars are as prominent in the new mix although Micky does come off the worst in comparitive terms.   The original mix of the Man tracks at least were pretty dry and I rather liked them like that - I think that's where a lot of the power came from when listening.   The remix appears to be making it sound more like the room in which it was recorded but it seems to have lost a bit in the process (although it's arguably a more accurate representation of the live event.   This makes the GT album the only Point release I'll be keeping out of the current round.

The good news for BITF is that we'll have the live tracks in both their known mix as well as the entire concert remixed.   
It's Just My View

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »
I'm listening to Spunk Rock from GT on my computer at the momenet and the balance sounds a lot better than it does on my hi-fi.

Odd but I suspect the smaller speakers have the effect of compressing the sound in comparison to when played via the somewhat more capable speakers on my hi-fi set up.
It's Just My View

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music

Salmacis

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »
New member here. I used to have the Eagle issue of 'Do You Like It Here Now...' and I thought whoever mastered that made a right hash of it- there was bizarre distortion on the guitar of 'Manillo' for one thing. Esoteric have done them right, IMHO, and have treated the catalogue with the respect it deserves. The repackage of 'Be Good To Yourself...' alone makes it worthwhile if you're a die-hard- the map was never well reproduced in the old BGO CD.

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »

Give us a shout on michael@northdown.demon.co.uk to talk turkey.  ;D

MH,
Have you received my mails?

Pete T
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 11:57:09 PM »
I certainly agree with you on the Eagle re-issues. That series was a real disappointment, and the Do You Like It Here Now edition was particularly bad. It always annoyed me on the POiNT version, that the record skip noticable in Many Are Called wasn't spotted (I wonder, was anybody listening?), and the Eagle CD was a sub-standard re-hash of even that sub-standard effort. The penalty of not having access to the tapes at the time.

At least with the POiNT originals (not the re-issues), the sound quality is worthy of the material.
Boldly going.......

Rob the Organ

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 03:22:21 AM »
Hi there all. I've just got back from a gig with Al Maclaine which reminded me to register here and start chatting. I am a semi-pro musician on the London/SE circuit and used to go and see Man an awful lot in the early nineties.

I finally got around to ordering the reissues yesterday and am looking forward to them immensely.

Regarding the full "Truckers" at least two mates of mine have moaned that Micky's guitar seems a lot less upfront than the original vinyl mix. Anybody agree?

That said, as Brinsley Schwarz are also a particular favourite of mine, I am certainly not complaining as BS fans definitely get the best out of the package!

Rob

Rob the Organ

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »
Of course, if I'd noticed there was a second page and read the comments, I wouldn't have asked such a stupid question - technology in the hands of a simpleton, as ever. That's why I stick to the Hammond as synthesisers and midi would throw me all over the shop in a similar way!

HOWEVER... glad it's not just me and a few mates that think the Deke/Micky guitar levels are a bit skew-whiff.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »
Re Jules post 1034 - What was the intended sequence for Pepper?

Rob the Organ

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
New member here. I used to have the Eagle issue of 'Do You Like It Here Now...' and I thought whoever mastered that made a right hash of it- there was bizarre distortion on the guitar of 'Manillo' for one thing. Esoteric have done them right, IMHO, and have treated the catalogue with the respect it deserves. The repackage of 'Be Good To Yourself...' alone makes it worthwhile if you're a die-hard- the map was never well reproduced in the old BGO CD.

I have yet to see a BGO reissue of any description where the packaging is anything but shoddy. Or basic to be kinder.The vinyls were a little better but the bigger "canvas" on an LP cover makes that an easier task. I've got a Brinsley Schwarz "twofer" from BGO that at least has some nice liner notes from Brinsley and Ian Gomm and a few pics, but even Brinsley himself (he is a mate) looked at it and shook his head - particulalrly when he noticed that the back insert viewed under the clear CD tray stated "other available releases from RAVI SHANKAR!". To be fair, that's probably a one off printing error but was the icing on the cake at the time.

Funnily enough my remastered Pa(d)get Rooms and DYLIHN? turned up this morning. Hurrah!

On first hearing, I like them a lot - and if you don't like the mix on the new complete GTP then the Spunk Rock and Angel Easy (although I think from a personal view I like the DYLIHN? '71 version with Clive audible) offered more than make up for it, at least until I can be bothered to dust down my own vinyl GTP, sink it into the home studio PC and attempt my own transfer/tidy up for the iPod.

Alan Davies

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
Just got the remastered Rhinos and I am very impressed. I haven't listened to the live extras yet but the mixing and mastering on the original album is a top job. Packaging is good too. I find the differing formats for the various releases a little wierd, BGTYALOAD doesn't really benefit from the additional stuff but having the full Penarth set works well for me.
 :)

Rob the Organ

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
Just got the remastered Rhinos and I am very impressed. I haven't listened to the live extras yet but the mixing and mastering on the original album is a top job. Packaging is good too. I find the differing formats for the various releases a little wierd, BGTYALOAD doesn't really benefit from the additional stuff but having the full Penarth set works well for me.
 :)

Yep, the Penarth set is the jewel in the crown!

Mike Burgess

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »
Have to say the Padget rooms reissues is blistering. I would happily listen to all recordings from this period, as the band were on fire! Hearing the Rhinos live stuff was a disappointment, though greatly anticipated, as is the Maximum Darkness reissue, though boo! to it not being a triple!!  ;)