Author Topic: Things That Shouldn't Annoy You - But Nevertheless Do  (Read 117473 times)

rockprof

Re: Things That Shouldn't Annoy You - But Nevertheless Do
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »
Boing Boing! Better play it loud chap, flying back to Dublin, thence home to Waterford on Saturday. BUT Black country through and through, not like all these Man U and Liverpool 'supporters' from places like London, Bristol, etc. (Which incidentally is another thing that annoys me...)

Rob W

« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2012, 08:31:21 PM »
So then, rockyprof,  I'm in Wednesbury and Tipton next week. Often in Gt Bridge and West Brom centre.   sometimes Istay overnight in a hard core West Brom pub, can't remember the name but can drive there easy.
Interesting comments about the plastic fans. Sure that'll be good for a few smites. Maybe Phil P, our very own plastic scouser will post a response ;) incidentally, great seeing you the other week, Phil.

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »
..in 1963, when we moved to Gloucester, and I started junior school, I was asked who I supported. I asked (because I didn't know) who's just been promoted from division 2. Answer, Liverpool. I've followed them ever since. Even seen them play once. League cup 3rd round away at Swindon. Alun Evans had just been signed, the first 100,000 transfer fee. We lost 2-0..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2012, 11:55:11 PM »
[ Alun Evans had just been signed, the first 100,000 transfer fee. We lost 2-0..
[/quote]

Just from memory, wasn't the first 100k signing Martin Peters moving from WHU to Spurs?

Just asking :)

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #229 on: May 11, 2012, 12:38:58 AM »
..wiki has it as Dennis Law, man c to torino. Alun Evans was 110,000..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #230 on: May 11, 2012, 01:47:11 AM »
..wiki has it as Dennis Law, man c to torino. Alun Evans was 110,000..

Think Evans was the first 100,000+ transfer between British clubs
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »
Boing Boing!

Rock, could you explain the origins of this 'boing boing' thing to me. It is pretty daft yet mightily impressive when a few thousand people do it. Many moons ago a mate of mine used to sell chocs and drinks off a little tray at the Hawthorns, gingerly making his way along the touchline. He recalled that Jeff Astle once missed a shot so badly that the ball smashed into his tray sending twixes and mars bars everywhere.

A funny old game, ecomomic collapse round the corner whilst Yaya Toure is being paid 220,000 a week.
Nationsounds - the label that brought you Shake The Nation and raised 1,500 in memory of Micky...

rockprof

« Reply #232 on: May 11, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Not entirely sure meself. Having lived abroad for the past 21 years, I hav'nt been up the Albion during all that time. It's recently been attributed to Albion's tendancy to bounce between divisions, but it predates that. I reckon it started around 1992/1993 ish? Although I'm willing to be corrected by anyone more knowledgable. I'd put it down to the general yampiness of Black Country folk.
My favourite Albion moment was during the 80's when Pete Shilton played for Forest. One Sunday he made the front page of all the tabloids for wrapping his car around a lampost late at night with a lady passenger that was not his wife. When Forest played Albion the following saturday, he kept goal during the first half in front of the Forest fans. When he came out for the 2nd half and approached the Albion end, the chant went up "Does your missus, does your missus, does your missus know you're here? Does your missus know you're here?" He had a smile on his face that said "yeah, yeah, you funny f***s!" Ah! Them was the days...

Rob W

« Reply #233 on: May 11, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
The boing boing was going strong prior to 92/93. We played WBA in 1990 or thereabouts, their fans looked great in the Manny Rd End doing the boing boing. I recall us lot responding with a "what the f*****g hell is that.
My favourite memory of the Hawthorns is when in the 70's, we played Millwall in the FA Cup (a valued competition then), drew at Gigg, drew at their place, and the replay on neutral ground was at WBA. Only 3k there, but it was all Bury. And the few WBA fans were on our side as well. Bizarrely, can't recall the score. Sure we won, but in those days the result was of minor signficance   arf arf

Mike Morgan

« Reply #234 on: May 11, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »
I was way off with Peters - wiki extract below

"In March 1970, West Ham received a record-breaking 200,000 (146,000 cash) for Peters from Tottenham Hotspur and Peters duly went to White Hart Lane, with Spurs and England striker Jimmy Greaves (valued at 54,000) going the other way. Peters scored on his Spurs debut against Coventry City."

Rob W

« Reply #235 on: May 11, 2012, 11:44:39 AM »
Who's just banged in the equaliser for me on the smite/applaud front?

Thank you whoever it was.

That's worth a transfer fee of 100k in anybodys money     :)

And talking of WBA, mid 70's we played the then mighty WBA at Gigg in the League Cup.  Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham, Robbo et al, Atkinson as manager I think. Top ish of 1st tier. We were 3rd tier but a good team. Night match, foggy, about 16k on, we won 2-1. Great days.

Arjayay

« Reply #236 on: May 11, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »

A google search gets as far as "boing bo..." before it suggests "boing boing baggies"
The answer from "Baggies: The Unofficial West Bromwich Albion Web Site" is at http://www.baggies.com/faq/#BOINGING

Mark Oakley

« Reply #237 on: May 11, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
Bonus Tracks. I know...I should be grateful, but all too often they're very minor variations of the studio tracks, and I just want to hear 'the album' start to finish, and then...if it's good....from the start again!

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #238 on: May 11, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
Sorry Mr Oakers, just one final point re: Mssrs West Brom before we bizarely go back on topic, I was also impressed by their decision to use 'Liquidator' by the Harry J All Stars as their theme tune. Now there's a track with anti-depressant properties.

Bonus Tracks. I know...I should be grateful, but all too often they're very minor variations of the studio tracks, and I just want to hear 'the album' start to finish, and then...if it's good....from the start again!

Agreed. It does mean that certain acts can re-release material ad infinitum - no doubt Mr Page is planning a remastered remixed re-edited version of Led Zep 2 in time for Xmas as we speak. On the other hand, I would want to hear the bonus tracks if it's a band I'm particularly fond of - but perhaps collected together and packaged as such, rather than a way of re flogging stuff we've already got.

Nationsounds - the label that brought you Shake The Nation and raised 1,500 in memory of Micky...

Rob W

« Reply #239 on: May 11, 2012, 04:30:35 PM »
Sorry Mr Oakers, just one final point re: Mssrs West Brom before we bizarely go back on topic, I was also impressed by their decision to use 'Liquidator' by the Harry J All Stars as their theme tune. Now there's a track with anti-depressant properties.

I was impressed in the 70's when the BFC DJ of the time played VDGG as our theme tune over the tannoy every match day at 2.30pm. Ok it was Theme One, which was not the same as lemmings or Man -Erg, but it was a pretty good show.

Best footy music was Slade's, I just like the things you do (I think that's a lyric not title) really got you in the mood. And you know the other song I recall getting into match mode, was Gimme Dat Ding by the Pipkins.

No one but no one though will come anywhere near to Middle of the Road. She is my first, my last, my everything.    ;D