Author Topic: Wireless Router Thingy  (Read 3694 times)

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
Wireless Router Thingy
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:38:06 PM »
Help needed....

I wanted to move my computer to another room (away from my modem) and was told that a Router would enable me to zap the signal from my modem, round the corner, past the bathroom and into my computer in the front room.

Drivers were installed, etc...it indicates good connection between Router and Computer...but unfortunately....I only get limited or no connectivity. I've moved the computer back to the original room and set it all up and the internet is fine. So before I move anything else anywhere, has anybody got any ideas?
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Mike Morgan

Re: Wireless Router Thingy
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:47:42 PM »
Not a clue myself, but if you get no joy off the board I'll ask a few techy friends.

4 - 0.  Yus, oh fecking yes!

Tim W

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:45:12 PM »
Have you set up the router with the logon details for your internet connection?

Typically you do this by entering the IP address of the router into your browser to acess the config panels.

What model router is it?

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:23:29 PM »
How far away is the router from the PC?

My set-up is, (bit of 3d imagination needed here), enter hallway, BT homehub is at ceiling height on left. Door to left is lounge c. 4x4 metres, door to right is kitchen/diner, c. 4x4 m. Ahead are stairs, leading left to right, to bed no 2, c. 4x4 m, above kitchen, with passageway above hall to bedroom 1, c.4x4m. All interior walls are wood/plasterboard, as are floors and ceilings.

Can pick up broadband anywhere downstairs, but can be a bit less reliable upstairs. May have to leave doors open, and not obstruct the signal with bodies (not dead, or piled up in mounds)..

PC on landing (music with 1.5 tb drive) is connected through ceiling with a cable to homehub, and then picked up wirelessly by laptop virtually anywhere.

Hope this helps..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »
Back on for a second...Mark, it's TP LINK, think I need to move computer back (drat) so that all three can be connected - it only became an issue after I'd switched off and switched on again, so perhaps address lost and needs re-entering...will send before it goes again....
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Ron Brain

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 02:13:56 AM »
don't ask me. I got a new modem/router, not realizing it wouldn't work with my current modem. Luckily I know the guys at my local ISP, and they came round and helped. Changed my connection too, increasing my speed. Sadly now my studio Mac only gets occasional reception. I can sit next to it with my lap top and it works fine. Once its configured and you long on, you computer should always find your network.

It shouldn't matter if the router or your computer gets turned off. Actually, you might try resetting your router. It may have a hard to find recessed button (a little hole) or you can just unplug it. This often helped connect the studio to the old router. It is suppose to be easy, it never is.

Dave Bardsley

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 12:57:25 PM »
It might be your walls. 

I was told that the reason for my poor mobile phone reception at home might be because the clinker blockwork used in 1930's houses had a high metal content which sheilded electro-magnetic signals.  My router works OK, but it's in the same room as the PC. 

Arjayay

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »
It might be your walls. 

I was told that the reason for my poor mobile phone reception at home might be because the clinker blockwork used in 1930's houses had a high metal content which sheilded electro-magnetic signals.  My router works OK, but it's in the same room as the PC.

Another problem in older houses is that when replastering, plasterers often fix chicken wire to the walls to give a key.  This produces a "Faraday Cage", earthing all the radio signals.  The same problem can occur in reinforced concrete walls or steel frames.  Some upmarket restaurants deliberately hide reinforcing mesh in the walls, to stop peoples mobiles working.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
Hmm...this house is a 1930s semi of the vernacular.

All was fine with the modem/router/computer (with USB adaptor) next to each other. But once the computer was moved into the other room, it went horribly wrong....the connection was slow, maybe two pages worth....then disappears. I could re-instate the connection by running diagnostics and fiddling about, but woud again result in a signal only lasting a minute or so.

Have bitten the bullet and got a long lead running dangerously through the house instead. Would still like to get this router sorted, though.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 04:51:14 PM »
It might be your walls. 

Hope this wasn't another typo........

(Yes, I'm back!!)
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Tel

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 05:40:54 PM »
Nick

Have you thought about using hime plugs?

They allow you to use the mains network to carry the Network signal and saves using extended Ethernet cabling. Google Maplin Homeplugs to see what I mean.

Tel

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
(Yes, I'm back!!)

Al, you missed the Celtic Caley Thistle game..!!
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.