Author Topic: `Clive John RIP  (Read 46399 times)

helena

Re: `Clive John RIP
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »
Seems like it's all bad news on this forum these days. The end of an era does not even start to describe it. Very sad to hear this. At least in the music something lingers on....

John Bannon

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 11:32:40 PM »
Like Pete T, Gina texted me whilst I was driving on the m'way. I didn't read the text, could see who it was from, I daren't tell you what was going through my mind. When I stopped, and read the news, frankly it was to be expected, but doesn't soften the blow.

Clive, like MJ, and others, made me, a nothing, so welcome. I was so humbled. Last time I saw Clive, was when he appeared at MJ's funeral. Much better memories though, are the first time I met him at one of the early JBO Man gigs.  Clive appeared in the densely congregated room, I said (shouted!) to him. "I had a dream about you last night" (which I had). Can't remember precisely what he said, but in no uncertain terms questioned my parentage, questioned my sexuality,and I think told me to go forth and multiply, but not as politely. (In retrospect, I don't think he thought that last bit through   ;D )

We spoke about his cricket, I think he was treasurer of some cricket club, and we spoke at length when he was on the door of the Tawe Delta Blues Club.

Highlight of all my Man Xmas gigs, I'm afraid wasn't Man, but one Sat afternoon at the Adam & Eve, watching the Tremblin' Knees and Contraband. The place was jumping. Had to leave early for the Patti Man gig, half way through a song, but Clive gave us a cheery wave, shouted something, I forget what. Oakers may recall the events.

As Allan rightly says, as good as the music was, it was as much, if not more, the warmth and welcoming of the Clive's and MJ's which made everything so worthwhile.

x

Rob you always spoke of those concerts with great affection and I used to think I'll join you one day and have a good old blow out to the 'Trembling Knees, Back then I was always left floundering around trying to find accommodation in the Swansea area, everything being last minute in my life at the time.
After the Patti Pavilion concerts and copious amounts of alcohol, I could have quite easily slept on a park bench, so should have saved myself a lot of bother. Thank You for poster of those days.
I guess after the news today we will never get to share those moments. 
Inside every old Man is a younger Man thinking 'What the f**k happened'

John Bannon

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 11:37:50 PM »
This is terrible news, everyday that goes past another part of my youth is no longer with us, its selfish of me to talk like that,

John - no shame in saying that which is only what many of us will be thinking as well.  We've spent our lives building up all the different things that make us what we are, and you feel that a bit of you has been hacked off as each person is taken from us that has contributed to that.    And just reminds us all in the most terrible fashion that we've just skipped that bit nearer the top of the queue ourselves.

Hopefully we'll all be able to raise a glass or two together in celebration of Clive come December.
Allan your so right, We will definitely raise a glass to those who mean something to us this December....I'm thinking I might be nearer the top of the queue you mentioned........
Inside every old Man is a younger Man thinking 'What the f**k happened'

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 01:10:37 AM »
Allan your so right, We will definitely raise a glass to those who mean something to us this December....I'm thinking I might be nearer the top of the queue you mentioned........

The queue order is all fucked up and no one knows where they are on it.   Probably just as well that's the way it is.
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Rob W

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 02:45:15 AM »
Maybe in deference to Clive, we should all attend the 17 December gig wearing a pair of corduroys from the 70's. Sure he'd appreciate that    :D

Ron Brain

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 04:28:31 AM »
a great man. had some good times hanging out with him...Knew he was ill. Not good news

Brian

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 07:08:22 AM »
So sad, so sorry to hear.  I'm glad I got the chance to meet him in person a few years back (thank you Tony). 

Will be spinning You Always Know Where You Stand With A Buzzard, Be Good To Yourself At Least Once A Day and Do You Like It Here Now Are You Settling In quite a bit for a while.  I'll bet the long album titles were Clive's idea. 

May You Rest and Rock In Peace, Brother Clive.

Terry

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 08:45:48 AM »
Another great loss to the music scene,Clive you will be missed as a musician & person.
Hold your ferret aloft with pride as you once told me.RIP

Trevor Barstow

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 10:52:38 AM »
Another great loss to the music scene,Clive you will be missed as a musician & person.
Hold your ferret aloft with pride as you once told me.RIP
My sentiments precisely. Thank you Clive.

Oakers

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »
There will be a commemorative airing of 'Buzzard' for me too this evening.
Have to agree with Rob that that boozy afternoon-evening in the company of The Tremblin Knees and Contraband holds memories every bit as fond as the best of the Man gigs and indeed any other gig I've been to.
Don't recall what Clive's precise words were....just that he had time for anyone who wanted to chat and came across as a thoroughly decent bloke.
Sad news indeed.

William Rait

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »
This news and George's news  are the very reason why it is SO IMPORTANT that we be good to ourselves(and everyone else as well)at least once a day and that as long as we are able

we KEEP ON CRINTING. Thanks for the good music

lloydie 2

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
Very sad news indeed will raise a glass tonight at the Clan gig :'(

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
2011 really has been a shit year in terms of deaths and serious ill-health both in the Manband family and further afield...

Clive was of course an important part of the Manband sound and story especially in the early years and for me of the original (1968-1976) Man albums the ones he appears on are more interesting and enjoyable than the ones made without him. Maybe not the main ingredient on those albums but an essential part of the overall mix nonetheless.

Always friendly and welcoming when you bumped in to him in Swansea. Maybe the best memory I have is filming the interview for GWP in his back garden. He was hilarious and trying not to laugh so it didnt spoil the sound recording was near impossible. His pride in particular that people were still interested in the songs he wrote and played on 40 years ago and his enthusiasm for the Man legacy and music in general were plain to see.

By way of tribute I've posted this video on Youtube today:

Edgar Broughton & Son of Man - Shit on the World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFgQwQSvXq8

I think Clive would have enjoyed this version.
RIP

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 12:38:47 AM »
I do recall fondly the redoubtable Mr Heatley and his mobile making sure that Clive could be present in spirit if not in person ath Pontardawe.

Pride's a good description, Gav.  Critically, it wasn't a selfish pride but something more warm and encompassing.
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
Pride's a good description, Gav.  Critically, it wasn't a selfish pride but something more warm and encompassing.

He was actually quite astonished and dumfounded that anyone, especially younger people like George and Josh would be interested in those songs. You can see it in the look on his face when he's talking about it on GWP1. He also made a point of saying his comments that he was pleased the band still thought the songs good enough to play were on behalf of the "older manband generation" clearly he thought any credit should be collective.