Author Topic: `Clive John RIP  (Read 46400 times)

Andrew P

Re: `Clive John RIP
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 11:34:40 PM »
I've just logged on to see what's been happening after a few days away and ... well, I'm raising a glass of red and I've lit a candle which is burning out on the patio. I knew Clive was ill but it's still a shock. Like others have already said, Clive was a gentleman, always welcoming of strangers and willing to chat. First encounters were down the Coach House cellar in the 1970s and 1980s watching the Tremblin' Knees, bottle of Newcastle Brown in hand, then  the wonderful Cardiff Arms gigs in the 1990s with Contraband; I treasure the 2 rolls of film I shot there one day in 1997. An amazing Knees gig in the Adam & Eve some years ago prior to a Man Xmas Party at the Patti, where you could barely raise your glass for the standing crush. At the Man Xmas gig at Sin City I managed to collar him for a signature on my copy of "To Live For To Die" which I think he said was his favourite album - he thought this was great, took out a pen and started to write, then Ace yelled at him to get on stage and play so he stopped and handed the CD back to me with apologies and went. I wish I knew what he was going to write, as all it says is "Long time" but I treasure it. Sad news, happy memories, happy trails Clive.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Davey

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 04:55:07 AM »
...thank you for your music Clive...eternal peace to you...

Michael Heatley

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 11:16:13 AM »
Clint's funeral will be @ 3.00 on Friday 2nd September at the Swansea Crematorium, Morriston (J47 of M4).

And afterwards at the Salisbury Club.

Will see any of you there that can make it.

Also, on lighter note, in answer to Allan's bet that no-one would use the Deke quote, see

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/man-keyboard-player-passes-away/

Mike Morgan

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
All, Swansea Crem is off junction 46, not 47.
For those of you not familiar with the area, the DVLA 16 story tower block is next to the crem so it's a bit difficult to miss.  After coming off the M4, head east on the A48 (prob S/P Morriston) and the turning is the first on the right after about 1/2 a mile.  The crem entrance is about 200 yards up the road, off a mini roundabout. The official link is below.

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=27428

The area is often subject to traffic congestion at that time on a Friday, with the many early starters in DVLA taking an early finish at 3:00.

Michael Heatley

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »
Tanks for the correction Mike - just checked and I got the rest of it right!  :o

Martin Daughton

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 05:33:25 PM »
I can't get the time off work. They are really off about letting you take late shifts and Saturdays off unless they are part of a longer holiday and I have both this week. I will take my first break at 15:00 and play Out of my Tree on the iPod.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »
No problem Michael -we wouldn't want to subject boarders to the joy of the roundabout on J47.

It's a bit like that one Chevvy Chase went around for days in a Lampoon film.  Not as much traffic, but one of those where the lane changes are shown by the studs in the floor and many drivers eventually just shut their eyes and go for it. 

Andrew P

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
I will be there and, I hope, afterwards at the Salisbury. I'll almost certainly be driving so should be able to offer lifts if anyone needs them.

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
I will be there and, I hope, afterwards at the Salisbury. I'll almost certainly be driving so should be able to offer lifts if anyone needs them.

..Andrew, can you pick us up from Scourie?..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

celias

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 11:03:48 AM »
Here are a couple of newspaper clippings from my scrapbook compiled during my teenage years! So many,many years ago.

I only met Clive John on one or two occassions. Once at a Contraband gig at the Adam and Eve where he kindly signed a Contraband flyer for me adding  "and don't let your stoat get the goat"!

R.I.P. Clive

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
Here are a couple of newspaper clippings from my scrapbook compiled during my teenage years!

Nice one, Cee - I don't think I've ever seen the one bottom left - perhaps Mr P could tell me whether I've seen it or not, he's good at that sort of thing. I squinted as best I could, it appears to be written by 'Judy Garland' so perhaps the gig was at The Rainbow. (yes yes I know it was the Oval really)

celias

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »

Nice one, Cee - I squinted as best I could, it appears to be written by 'Judy Garland' so perhaps the gig was at The Rainbow. (yes yes I know it was the Oval really)

Thanks Nick and thanks for your help. First attempt at trying to get it to the right size and wording did not come out as well as I thought.  Seems clearer if you read it with one eye shut!!

Andrew P

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 02:08:38 PM »

..Andrew, can you pick us up from Scourie?..

Well done, Pete, yes I did wonder if anyone would take it literally, and hats off to you for getting in first with the offer of a real overland trek.

Iowerth Pritchard

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 08:41:36 PM »
Here are a couple of newspaper clippings from my scrapbook compiled during my teenage years!

Nice one, Cee - I don't think I've ever seen the one bottom left - perhaps Mr P could tell me whether I've seen it or not, he's good at that sort of thing. I squinted as best I could, it appears to be written by 'Judy Garland' so perhaps the gig was at The Rainbow. (yes yes I know it was the Oval really)

Well Mr N, I haven't seen the cutting on the bottom left before, but I have seen that photo of Clive in other Sounds features.  The 'John quits Man' cutting is from Sounds 10/3/73.  Sounds were very fond of this set of pics from the Oval (16/9/72) and were still using them in the early Eighties (in their 'Wax Fax' feature).  I think they were taken by David Redfern, and as I recall weren't you once in active pursuit of the rest of the film roll?

Having answered Mr N's query, here's one I'd like to pose.  Is Clive's real surname actually John?  In a 1965 Pylot Records promo sheet for the Bystanders all of the band have pseudonyms, except for Clive who apparently was using his real name.  Micky is 'Mike Martin', Ray is 'Ray Selby' etc. but Clive is 'Clive Morgan', and his real name is listed as Clive Stuart John Morgan.  Any theories anyone?

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 08:54:10 PM »
I have a theory, Mr P. It's Morgan. And Mr Redfern (here): http://www.davidredfern.com/images/vintage/ would need his palms crossed with a fair bit of silver, that's if he's still got the negatives....those photographer chappies seem to take a zillion shots of everything so there could be more.