Author Topic: Message to M Ace re your continued use of the "Man" name  (Read 33817 times)

Gavin Crumpton

Message to M Ace re your continued use of the "Man" name
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
I and a considerable number of other people who care about the band and its legacy are deply offended by your continued use of the Man name.

You have done untold damage to the band's reputation by releasing an album that is simply not worthy of the band's name and has received numerous shockingly bad fan and professional reviews on the web and elsewhere. You have also devalued the bands name on the live circuit by reducing audience numbers and forcing promoters to cancel gigs due to poor advance ticket sales. Indeed it is now extremely unlikely in the UK and even Germany that the band will ever be able to tour again as a result of the damage done.

You have been disrespectful to Micky's monumental contribution to the Manband not least by sacking George whose presence ensured that Micky and his legacy was still represented in the band. George was/is the right person to interpret Mickys playing and develop the Man guitar sound with his own ideas. He was/is without doubt the best way to keep Mickys memory alive in the current Manband.

Worst of all you have divided what was already a small but loyal fanbase to the extent that we are now being compared to the acrimonious fanbase of the two Wishbone Ash bands.

How about doing the decent thing and stop using the Man name before it becomes devalued even further?

Alternatively, why not call up George and Bob, apologise to them profusely for your (and Phil's) actions and ask them to rejoin the band? Who knows if they forgive you maybe the lost fans will too or at least tolerate your presence in the band?

I cant imagine for one second that you're "Man" enough to respond to these points let alone act on them but at least you know how some of us feel.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
Re: Message to M Ace re your continued use of the "Man" name
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
.....once the appropriate percentage of all the royalties/profits/mechanicals/anything raised from Man merchandise, from Voicepants material to the forthcoming Box Set, reaches the estates of Mssrs Jones and John, the founders of the band that (engages tact mode) you play in.
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 03:05:36 PM »
.....once the appropriate percentage of all the royalties/profits/mechanicals/anything raised from Man merchandise, from Voicepants material to the forthcoming Box Set, reaches the estates of Mssrs Jones and John, the founders of the band that (engages tact mode) you play in.

...and while were on that subject, who is benefiting from the "Live Adventures of Man" CD set being released by a label that I believe has an association with your former friends at Voicepants?

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:42 PM »
Welcome back Gav. Not devisive at all.  ;)

I and a considerable number of other people who care about the band and its legacy are not at all offended by Martin's continued use of the Man name, along with the other current members of the band.

Your move.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:18:12 PM by Jules »
Boldly going.......

Michael Heatley

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
Found in my underwear drawer...

Dear Will, Phil, Terry and Micky
I wish to register my disgust at your sacking of Deke Leonard, a well respected founder member of your - no, MY - band. No good can come of this. In fact I will not be purchasing any so-called 'Man' records in the future.
Yours dejectedly
M.D. Heatley (16 3/4)

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
I didn't know you were a doctor as well.
Boldly going.......

Michael Heatley

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »
I prefer mentally deficient...

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
Welcome back Gav. Not devisive at all.  ;)

I and a considerable number of other people who care about the band and its legacy are not at all offended by Martin's continued use of the Man name, along with the other current members of the band.

Your move.

Thats exactly why it's  devisive because some see things the way you do and some see things the way I do. Given that the bands fanbase was minimal become this happened it has been very damaging to the band. Man has gone from obscurity to near extinction since 2008. Well done Martin. And well done Jules for championing Martin's idiocy.

Your move... Or if he has the balls to defend his actions Martin's move...

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:55:21 PM »
If all that separates the differing factions is the difference between obscurity and near extinction it's frankly not a discussion worth having.   

Over the past couple of decades the band's workrate was never sufficient for them to have any realistic expectation of a rise in their circumstances.  There were a couple of occasions when it looked like they were ready for some serious business but on both occasions poor health intervened.   Outside of that, they simply didn't do the work.

I've said it before but the time to retire the name after Deke and Micky had both stopped playing.  Once you got beyond that core, there was always going to be people who'd doubt the legitimacy of the band regardless of who else was left playing along.
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Greasy Trucker

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »
I and a considerable number of other people who care about the band and its legacy are deply offended by your continued use of the Man name.

You have done untold damage to the band's reputation by releasing an album that is simply not worthy of the band's name and has received numerous shockingly bad fan and professional reviews on the web and elsewhere. You have also devalued the bands name on the live circuit by reducing audience numbers and forcing promoters to cancel gigs due to poor advance ticket sales. Indeed it is now extremely unlikely in the UK and even Germany that the band will ever be able to tour again as a result of the damage done.

You have been disrespectful to Micky's monumental contribution to the Manband not least by sacking George whose presence ensured that Micky and his legacy was still represented in the band. George was/is the right person to interpret Mickys playing and develop the Man guitar sound with his own ideas. He was/is without doubt the best way to keep Mickys memory alive in the current Manband.

Worst of all you have divided what was already a small but loyal fanbase to the extent that we are now being compared to the acrimonious fanbase of the two Wishbone Ash bands.

How about doing the decent thing and stop using the Man name before it becomes devalued even further?

Alternatively, why not call up George and Bob, apologise to them profusely for your (and Phil's) actions and ask them to rejoin the band? Who knows if they forgive you maybe the lost fans will too or at least tolerate your presence in the band?

I cant imagine for one second that you're "Man" enough to respond to these points let alone act on them but at least you know how some of us feel.

My God, he's really got under your skin, hasn't he?  I'm told by a number of people who troll this message board (some through gritted teeth) that the name 'Man' belongs to no-one and everyone.  So what's the big deal?  MA just happens to be the one with the minerals to fly the flag at the moment, and for the rest of time maybe.  Good for him, Good for Deke not having an issue with it, Good for those who will be turning out on saturday or even those who wont but hope it goes well anyway.  I was too young to catch anything but the arse end of Man's first era, and opportunities have been limited since, and I for one can't bloody wait to hear those magic songs again, played by people who want to play them for people who want to hear them.  As opposed to people who want to whinge about it on the internet.  I don't know what went on during the recording of the last album, and y'know what, I don't care, what I care about is hearing some stonking good music, played, thank God, (sorry MA and PJ) by people who might actually be capable of still playing it in a decade's time. 

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »

My God, he's really got under your skin, hasn't he?  I'm told by a number of people who troll this message board (some through gritted teeth) that the name 'Man' belongs to no-one and everyone.  So what's the big deal?  MA just happens to be the one with the minerals to fly the flag at the moment, and for the rest of time maybe.  Good for him, Good for Deke not having an issue with it, Good for those who will be turning out on saturday or even those who wont but hope it goes well anyway.  I was too young to catch anything but the arse end of Man's first era, and opportunities have been limited since, and I for one can't bloody wait to hear those magic songs again, played by people who want to play them for people who want to hear them.  As opposed to people who want to whinge about it on the internet.  I don't know what went on during the recording of the last album, and y'know what, I don't care, what I care about is hearing some stonking good music, played, thank God, (sorry MA and PJ) by people who might actually be capable of still playing it in a decade's time.

Actually Greasy this was a message for Martin to answer not for you.  Theres a slight clue to that in the thread heading. Frankly I'm not interested in what you think or say on the matter you complete dick.

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
If all that separates the differing factions is the difference between obscurity and near extinction it's frankly not a discussion worth having.   
Man have been in obscurity since the mid 80s, but I wouldnt argue that their career since then hasnt been worthwhile and that they should have called it a day back then. Would you?

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:51:20 PM »
Actually Greasy this was a message for Martin to answer not for you.

If that's the case Gav, have you contacted Martin directly via his own website?

He's not a regular Forum visitor.
Boldly going.......

Greasy Trucker

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »

Actually Greasy this was a message for Martin to answer not for you.  Theres a slight clue to that in the thread heading. Frankly I'm not interested in what you think or say on the matter you complete dick.
  No need for name-calling, I was just offering an opinion.  If you want to earn some respect, tell MA direct, you KNOW he won't be wasting his time on here....

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
Actually Greasy this was a message for Martin to answer not for you.

If that's the case Gav, have you contacted Martin directly via his own website?

He's not a regular Forum visitor.
It is a message for Martin but its something I think he should answer publicly. He's not had anything to say about his continued use of the Man name even though he knows there is strong criticism of it from some quarters. He certainly knows that their are regular attenders of Man gigs up until 2008 who he has put off from going to Man gigs by his actions.

I thle think he is unable / unwilling to defend himself against these criticisms then they will stand.

You will be seeing him on Saturday why not ask him to read this thread and comment? I would genuinely be interested in what he has to say.

As has been said elsewhere the original members are getting older and wont be able to do this for very much longer. It would be a sad and shabby end to the Man story if it ends like this.