Author Topic: MICKYS 1ST ANNUAL XMAS JAM 2011  (Read 49106 times)

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
Re: MICKYS 1ST ANNUAL XMAS JAM 2011
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
Another grand weekend, and some new parts of South Wales explored in Morriston and Neath.   

Managed to get out by half past eight on Saturday morning with a clear head (I limited my wine consumption at the office christmas party to a bottle and a half!) and made good progress arriving at the Premier Inn just after four o'clock.   A quick shower and then heading off to find the Red Lion.

Thoroughly enjoyed the show and, on the drink front, made up somewhat for the restraint shown on the previous evening.  When the bar ran out of the beer I was drinking (Worthingtons?) I was transferred to Newcastle Brown which helped kill any remaining sobriety in my system.

Good sleep until about 11 the following morning, and then headed for some lunch at 12.   The restuarant at the Premier Inn did a rather nice "all you can eat" spread.   That's all the encouragement I need!!

Headed into Neath which is virgin territory for me, and managed to find the British Legion despite not having a clue where it was.  Martin spotted it just before we were about to start another cycle around the town centre.

Enjoyed the fuller set from Iceberg (additions to Saturday night included Fools Like Me, In Search Of Sarah And Twenty Six Horses and Tahitian Thunder).   Got a couple of copies of Deke's book (that's Christmas sorted for some lucky person) but didn't get them signed - by the time the show finished it was quarter past six and we still had to think about heading back to Scotland. (Martin had received some bad news in the morning which put the dampener on his day a bit, and he was just keen to head off asap by that time).  I've got enough Deke autograph's in one thing or another so not the end of the world - he did say he would sign them for me later so I hope he's not still hanging around waiting for me.

Sunday was Deke's birthday, and also the first time I've ever been at a gig with a picture of the Queen staring out at me.  I believe Deke's younger than her ;-)

Made decent time back up north, and got home about half past two in the morning.   That wasn't without a little panic - I needed to refill once along the way and had been checking the distance to service stops carefully to make sure I was ok.   However, the one we stopped at was closed (permanently, by the look of it) and the next stop was pretty much the same as the amount of miles I had left in the tank.  It was cold and shitty by this time so there was an air of increasing panic as I worked through what we'd need to do if we didn't make it, but luckily we got there.

As ever, it was great to see everyone and to meet new people as well.  I always feel absolutely at home when I'm there and that speaks volumes.   Looking forward to next year already.
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Colin Jouxson

« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
Left home at 2.15 on Saturday and got to the Premier Inn around 4.15 after taking the wrong turn off (twice) on the M4 ::). Had a taxi to "The Club" only to find some pretty steaming football fans and were told by Rob that everyone was in the Red Lion.
We made a short walk there to see a number of the usual suspects,and chatted to a few of them and enjoyed our short stay there (decent pub)....

We made our way back to "the club" and enjoyed a great night of awesome tunes with the highlight being the jam at the end which featured just about everyone including Tweke Lewis who provided some tremendous playing.  It was a very healthy turn out with a great atmosphere throughout,and speaking to George at Deke's show on Sunday he said another Micky Annual jam was penciled in for December 15th 2012 ... a big HOORAH for that 8) :-*

After a very hearty "eat all you can" breakfast on Sunday morning in the Taybarn's restaurant next to the premier Inn,we made our way up to Neath getting to the club at around 12 noon. We then retired to a pub just around the corner and went back to the club about 1.45 and took up seats right next to the stage.

By the time Deke and Iceberg took to the stage,the place was bouncing with a very full and congested hall with quite a few standing up,possibly the best crowd I have seen in there for Deke & the boys.
The show I believe contained 12 tracks (correct me if I am wrong) and was very much enjoyed by all who attended. Highlight for me was the as ever superb Brian Breeze guitar work throughout,a joy to behold.

I do have about 9 tracks I managed to record of pretty good sound and picture quality.. I did ask Deke & Will permission to record before the show,and they said it was fine as long as not put on "You Tube" so I will be uploading to a private site,and viewing will only be allowed via password.

If anyone would like to view and knows of a decent uploading site I could use (I am having problems with Photobucket) please let me know ;).

Was great to meet you all again.

Cheers

CJ
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:31:21 PM by Colin J »

Jon M

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »
Thanks to George for arranging a great night of music.

Before the music there is the architecture – Morriston has some amazing churches, a mix of gothic and Italian, as well as a carrot gold Rolls Royce parked outside Sherwoods on Morfydd Street. The turn of the century houses in Penarth were equally wonderful  as I took the chance to see the Paget Rooms on the way.

Son of Man were good, if too short, and it was a treat to hear C‘mon as the intro still produces a frisson of excitement in the room; more please.

This was followed by the rare sight of Tweke playing guitar, backed by the best rhythm section in the land.

Next  was Deke who was on good form and played an excellent if familiar set. The highlight was the percussion guitar discussion between Bob and Brian ; worth the ticket and then some.

Even the guitarist in the pub downstairs was good as discovered if you needed a direct route to the gents .

There is an audience recording of the music from Son of Man onwards unless this interferes with a formal release.

Better book the premier inn for next year now..

brilliant

J.

Martin Daughton

« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
Roundabouts!

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »
Had a taxi to "The Club".........

Wimps!!!!  I thought you locals would be made of sterner stuff
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Andrew P

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2011, 11:14:09 PM »
Nah, why make it difficult? I had a lift to the Red Lion courtesy of the good lady, and a taxi home from right outside The Club, for which the £30 fare was worth it to kip down in my own bed. The only walking I did was from the Red Lion to The Club (oh, and from my seat to the bar and the gents a few times). Easy life.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2011, 11:59:57 PM »
Roundabouts!

Were Yes playing downstairs?  With so many members they must have been close to the edge. Of the stage.

Peter Steventon

« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »
Well the German contingent got home last night, and have prebooked same hotel next year, Nice to Meet Nick again and Davey for the first time, looked for others but didnt recognise anyone, mind after two solid days of drinking the brain cells seem to die off
Have to thank George for arranging everything, and the Lads at Neath Legion for putting up with us for 6 nights
Lets hope next year is as Good if not Better
Merry Christmas to everyone and a Prosperous New Year
Pete

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
Congratulations George on putting on such a wonderful evening. Great atmosphere, fantastic music and nice to see so many friends again. Micky would have enjoyed the evening and would be proud both that this was done in his memory and of George's guitar playing which was immense, particularly on C'Mon. Looking forward to next year and hope to see Son of Man headlining the show then!

Tina's blog featuring our journey to the gig:  http://www.silverfootprints.blogspot.com/

Merry Christmas and a happy and peaceful new year to you all

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
Not made any comments yet, it was a hell of a journey back, and been a bit hectic since..

It was a great night George, sadly I didn't have enough time to speak to all the people I wanted to, yourself included George.. Sorry.
Beer was great in the Wetherspoons pub, even the pint bought for me by Rob W..!!

Bands:
Sorry, forget the name, but loved the three piece blues band. How do three piece bands create so much sound? Think Budgie, Cream.. Lots of energy, great sounds. They'll go far.
Solo Chappie. Entertaining.
Son of man. Loved everything you did, just need a recording now..
Deke & Iceberg. Superb. As always. Sadly, with the nuber of bands on, time was always going to be limited. Had I realised there was a gig in Neath the following day, would have stayed on..

Payed a visit to micky's grave. A beautiful spot with splendid views over the bay.

Also visited an old couple in Port Talbot. We met them over 25 years ago in a pub by Dan-yr-Ogof showcaves, The Gwyn Arms. There was a couple of coaches in and the lounge bar was full. Had to share a table with a family from Cheltenham, and grandparents from Port Talbot, Jack & Nancy. Jack had been in the Navy, tattooed, and entertained a 3 or 4 year old Ashley with tales of being captured with Jong John Silver by Canibals, and being cooked in a pot, the tattooes being the stamps like Danish Bacon. They got Ashley to write his name and address, and birthday on a serviette, and promised to send a card for his birthday. Every birthday and Xmas to age 18, he got a card, with 2 pounds. Always sent a thankyou letter, and we still exchange Xmas cards. We turned up at the door, unannounced, after a 2 hour meeting in a pub over 25 years ago. Jack let us in, not sure exactly who we were, but Nancy recognised us straight away, "It's Ashleys mum and dad from Scotland.." Jack is now 90, with breathing problems, Nancy is 87 and they've been married for 65 years next year. Bless them.. The world is full of nice people..

Breaking news: my CD burner is working. Pete m. Send me your address, copy of Green Ray gig is made. Davey. Send me that list of the boots you have..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »
Perhaps I'm just a great big wuss, but I really find tales as in Pete T's post about Jack and Nancy so moving.  Focus on the good guys, for there are more of them than the bad guys.  Shame the bad guys seem to have more influence.

Rob W

« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
My sojourn probably started about 4.30 Sat morning having just got in from the Works Do absolutely ratted and having been sick for the first time since my teens.  Woken up at 7.50am for the lift to Wales (that's even before the Scottish contingent left!!!).

In desperate need for a fry up and coffee. Finally get to some service station, order a breakfast barm thing, bacon sausage egg , mouth like a bear's backside,  can't wait for something hot, and I see it's got bleedin' cheese in! If I eat cheese I die!! It's in the bin. So I'm still ill.

Eventually a lovely lunch at Martin D's mum's, then to the hotel (Martin - listen to me, get a piggin' sat nav) and a 1 hour nap in my room whilst listening to the footy on the radio.

A walk to The Club, then onto the pub. Sorry CJ for introducing you as "this is Colin, he's a tw*t" but it had to be done   :-*   lol and double lol.

Glass of water to be followed by beer. Had the water, got a beer, a few sips and I felt like all the contents of my inner body including stomach lining and intestines would be 'chucked up', so I stayed on water.....all night.

Yes, I got Tuck his pint, and Mrs Tuck as well. What that b*st*rd didn't tell you in his above post, was that I then got him, and Mrs Tuck, another pint as well. Yes, Peter. You forgot to mention that didn't you. So, in return for the one pint he got for me those years ago, I've got him 4.... I repeat, 4... (in legal parlance, Mr & Mrs Tuck are jointly and severally liable). And don't forget inflation, at a higher real cost per pint as well.  Tw*t !!!   ;D

Onto the gig, loved every minute of it.  Opening trio excellent. Singer had a great voice. Son of Man stole the show. Brilliant. But highlight for me was 7171 551 with Davey.

I was last of the punters to leave the upstairs. Saw the police, spoke to them afterwards, and me n Davey ambled back to the hotel to arrive and be greeted by a horde of ageing (sorry!) rockers in the hotel lobby, harrassing the young receptionist, accompanied by a bottle of Jack Daniels. Nick & Tony - top fella's. Had some of that, then after 3am I smuggled Davey into my (single!) room so he had somewhere to kip.

Following morning, breakfast with the Bard, Pete M, CJ  - doesn't get better than that. Roll on next year.

By the way, Davey in my room. He may be a great bloke and great guitarist.

He's a rubbish sh*g though....

;D   ;D    ;D

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
..I went into shock, and find it difficult to remember these things..!!

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
Jack is now 90, with breathing problems, Nancy is 87 and they've been married for 65 years next year. Bless them.. The world is full of nice people..

Then we went into a Wetherspoons and some strange guy kept buying me drinks..

welshgit

« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2011, 11:54:55 PM »
My sojourn probably started about 4.30 Sat morning having just got in from the Works Do absolutely ratted and having been sick for the first time since my teens.  Woken up at 7.50am for the lift to Wales (that's even before the Scottish contingent left!!!).

In desperate need for a fry up and coffee. Finally get to some service station, order a breakfast barm thing, bacon sausage egg , mouth like a bear's backside,  can't wait for something hot, and I see it's got bleedin' cheese in! If I eat cheese I die!! It's in the bin. So I'm still ill.

Eventually a lovely lunch at Martin D's mum's, then to the hotel (Martin - listen to me, get a piggin' sat nav) and a 1 hour nap in my room whilst listening to the footy on the radio.

A walk to The Club, then onto the pub. Sorry CJ for introducing you as "this is Colin, he's a tw*t" but it had to be done   :-*   lol and double lol.

Glass of water to be followed by beer. Had the water, got a beer, a few sips and I felt like all the contents of my inner body including stomach lining and intestines would be 'chucked up', so I stayed on water.....all night.

Yes, I got Tuck his pint, and Mrs Tuck as well. What that b*st*rd didn't tell you in his above post, was that I then got him, and Mrs Tuck, another pint as well. Yes, Peter. You forgot to mention that didn't you. So, in return for the one pint he got for me those years ago, I've got him 4.... I repeat, 4... (in legal parlance, Mr & Mrs Tuck are jointly and severally liable). And don't forget inflation, at a higher real cost per pint as well.  Tw*t !!!   ;D

Onto the gig, loved every minute of it.  Opening trio excellent. Singer had a great voice. Son of Man stole the show. Brilliant. But highlight for me was 7171 551 with Davey.

I was last of the punters to leave the upstairs. Saw the police, spoke to them afterwards, and me n Davey ambled back to the hotel to arrive and be greeted by a horde of ageing (sorry!) rockers in the hotel lobby, harrassing the young receptionist, accompanied by a bottle of Jack Daniels. Nick & Tony - top fella's. Had some of that, then after 3am I smuggled Davey into my (single!) room so he had somewhere to kip.

Following morning, breakfast with the Bard, Pete M, CJ  - doesn't get better than that. Roll on next year.

By the way, Davey in my room. He may be a great bloke and great guitarist.

He's a rubbish sh*g though....

;D   ;D    ;D

not a bad weekend then 8)