Author Topic: World Cup  (Read 3520 times)

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
World Cup
« on: October 22, 2011, 12:38:49 AM »
..I'm an Englishman, living in Scotland, and I'm proud of what the Welsh have acheived in this world cup..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Mike Morgan

Re: World Cup
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:02:42 AM »
That's nice.

Did you see that tackle on Shane Williams @ about 10 minutes in?  Shocking.

Posting at this ungodly hour as I had a 6:00 overtime start sprung on me yesterday just as I was about to leave work.  Can never stay asleep if I know I have to get up early and woke at about 4:30 so thought I may as well get up.  The joy!

Rob W

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 06:37:23 AM »
I'm up as well. Just had some breakfast. Anyway, I'm an Englishman living in England, have been to Scotland many times, even seen bits of it I didn't intend to!  but I'm afraid don't give a stuff about Wales in a 'world cup'.  I love Wales, absolutely love the place, but a rugby union world cup is only slightly more believable than the world baseball series whatever it's called.    Soz   ;)

Mike Morgan

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
I'm not a massive fan myself and keep getting momentarily confused because of thing like the ref pointing towards the team that have been given a penalty or whatever, and that the ball can go out of play but if a player catching it has his feet inside the lines the ball is still in play.  More of a footie fan myself,  but clearly I'll support the lads.

As far as knocking the composition of the rugby world cup, which I'm guessing you're suggesting is little more than a money making opportunity for each countries rugby union dreamed up by a bunch of money grabbing buggers, it's a damn sight fairer and more competitive than the boat race where the same two get to the final every year.

Yours, an Englishman (by birth) living in Wales who has been to Scotland a few times and came home, looked around and thought 'that's not a mountain, Scotland had mountains.  That's just a big hill'.  N Wales excluded.

As one of the local musos with Man connections who passed away a few years ago said, English by birth, Welsh by choice ;)

Ian Hislop is the opposite having been born, I think, in Mumbles but considers himself English.  I suppose that makes the countries even.  Or have Wales had the better deal with me?  No need to answer that!

PS I read somewhere that the 'world' bit doesn't refer to the planet, it refers to a newspaper that originally instigated the event.

Davey - can you help with this?

Rob W

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
and that the ball can go out of play but if a player catching it has his feet inside the lines the ball is still in play. 

Not unlike cricket, where if the fielder catches the ball whilst the ball is still within the boundary, but the fielder's foot steps outside the boundary, it's six runs.

I think we should join Allan, Pete T and Uncle Bill with their tossing.........................caber's. Now that is a sport 

;D

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »
Sod the World Cup.

It was forty years ago today........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGznExojzc
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »
..so what was that bloke doing in the second clip? Got round the keeper, open goal in front of hinn, and he plays with the ball at his feet waiting for the defenders to turn up?

Didn't watch it, but NZ 8 France 7 is a bit closer than I expected..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Rob W

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »
Sod the World Cup.

It was forty years ago today........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGznExojzc

Brilliant. And I loved the penny round collar!

Here's one for you from Le Stade de Gigg   :)

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=15934

Mike Morgan

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »
If it wasn't for a dogy French ref, Wales could have won it ;)

Robbed we was.  Robbed I tell thee!

Alan Davies

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »
48 games played & I managed to watch almost 40 of them. Shame the memories will be dominated by dodgy referees. All the 50/50 decisions in the final were given in favour of the Kiwis. France were subtly pickpocketed but credit to them for not bitching about it.