Author Topic: Albums of The Year  (Read 1988 times)

Mark Oakley

Albums of The Year
« on: December 08, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »
Is it time for the Album of the year nominations yet?
Here are mine…to get the ball rolling…and please allow some lee-way if it transpires (as is highly likely) that any of my selections were actually launched in the latter part of last year.
In at No 5 ……Diamonds In The Dirt/ Joanne Shaw Taylor  (only reason this one didn’t climb a little higher was the fact that it sounded like sides 3 and 4 of her debut album White Sugar. Still brilliant though).
At No 4…….Through Low Light & Trees/ Smoke Fairies  (intoxicating blend of blues and folk shot through with haunting melodies. It’s never gonna blow your socks off, but the sort of album you’ll return to again and again and be guaranteed an enjoyable hour-or-so each time).
No 3….The Micky Jones Tribute Album/ Various Artists (it had to be in there. Some fabulous new interpretations of Man classics,– featuring amongst many other treats – a lesson in the tasteful use of feedback)
No 2…Don’t Explain/Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa  (the first album featuring the latter that I’d describe as exceptional. Beth Hart has an incredible voice, and this collaboration just works perfectly).
No 1…and streets ahead of all rivals, is Black Pearls/ Eric Sardinas (must have played it 100 times since I bought it c. three months ago…and every time sounds as good as the first)
Your turn….

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
Re: Albums of The Year
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
I got John martyn's "solid air"..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Trevor Barstow

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
Album of the year for me was (first was 2010 album)

Long Live The Duke & The King - The Duke & The King
followed by
I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive - Steve Earle

Both seen live during 2011 and both amazing.

Mark Oakley

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »
Oops!
Just discovered that my pick of 2011 was actually released in 2003.
The new Eric Sardinas album was Sticks & Stones.
Luckily I bought both together...and the new one is just as good if not better than the old one.

Pete Middleton

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »
Album of the year for me has got to be Lou Reed and Metalica's 'Lulu' album - much maligned but actually rather good.....oh, and in the re-release section, although it's sounding remarkably new, Man's 'live at the Marquee'. :)