Author Topic: "Just for the Crack" Peter Welch  (Read 15565 times)

Dai Port Talbot

Re: "Just for the Crack" Peter Welch
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »
Must be time for a re-formation gig with this much support !!
[/quote]

Rob The Organ did try to get something going with Brins a couple of years back. Failed to get off the ground due to a critical mass of Lack of Gumption. I beleive you can still get your guitar serviced by Brins at Chandler's in Kew.

Nicholas Drain Lowe has of course moved on to othe things. Ian Gomm is holed up in mid Wales and god knows where Billy Rankin is.

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »

Ian Gomm is holed up in mid Wales
I know, I spoke to him some time ago about his solo albums and availability, was charging the earth for them, so I didn't bother..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Rob the Organ

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »
Must be time for a re-formation gig with this much support !!

Dai: "Rob The Organ did try to get something going with Brins a couple of years back. Failed to get off the ground due to a critical mass of Lack of Gumption. I beleive you can still get your guitar serviced by Brins at Chandler's in Kew.

Nicholas Drain Lowe has of course moved on to othe things. Ian Gomm is holed up in mid Wales and god knows where Billy Rankin is"

Now that the cat's out of the bag (thank you David) I might as well say that we had one gig in the diary before Brin..somebody got cold fe...err...before it was cancelled. That was opening for Man at the Boom Boom. Then Brinsley quit to do his house up and retire; Bassist Tex Comer got an offer to reform his old band Ace ("How Long", yep); Andy Winfield (gtr & vox) slipped a disc (ouch) and I got married.

At a Hank Wangford gig, Martin Belmont once said to me that "even though I'd been gigging for years, I never really learned to play guitar properly until the Rumour, sat in buses and hotel rooms with Brinsley and a couple of guitars". I think I'd say the same - very few have the economical, no-fat-on-the-meat style that Brinsley has.

Other than Robbie Robertson.

Ian Gomm SPENT the earth on his last CD, I bet. Seeing as it features the likes of Clive Gregson and the Amazing Rhythm Aces and was partly recorded in Nashville. But it's quite good and worth a spin - put this and Nick Lowe's "Convincer" on and alternate tracks and you very nearly get a modern Brinsleys album.

Bob Andrews, my favourite UK Hammond player bar none, moved Stateside to N'Awleans after his stint with Graham Parker. I have had an email or two since Katrina and he is alive and well - just finished a piano album and working on a Hammond release. He plays with noted blueser John Mooney here and there.

Billy Rankin is alive and well, apparently a celebrated competition standard fisherman and currently on drums with the reformed Ducks Deluxe.

Well, Dai -  we might as well go the whole hog and plug ourselves now you've opened your trap: http://www.myspace.com/londoncountry
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:48:13 PM by Rob the Organ »

Michael Heatley

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 06:56:40 PM »
Remind me what was this thread about?  ???

Rankin has been deposed as a Duck as he is too busy fishin'. I saw him at the reunion gig tho and he can still play, albeit like me he has put on a few ?s.

Ian Gomm kindly bootlegged his superb 1st album for me as he didn't want me to line Line's pickets (he'd never got any royalties for it).

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »
albeit like me he has put on a few ?s.
?s or lbs ?

Martin Daughton

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »
Ian Gomm kindly bootlegged his superb 1st album for me as he didn't want me to line Line's pickets (he'd never got any royalties for it).

Sounds like Mr Gomm should picket line Line to stop Line lining .... I'll stop now

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 07:29:38 PM »
Is it good, I have three of his, 24 hour music, rock and roll heart (both on Hux), and Summer Holiday (is this the Line one?). I really enjoy the Hux ones, not had time to listen to the Line one much..

Strange how this started with P Welch, moved to the Brinsleys, on to Gomm, and hasn't been moved to "OTHER BANDS" yet!!

Michael Heatley

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 11:09:55 PM »
Yes Pete it is Summer Holiday (aka Gomm With the Wind on reissue). Hard to find on CD

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »
Hard to find on CD
Pretty sure it came from e-bay..

Michael Heatley

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 12:12:57 AM »
Pete

Remind me to email you - got something you might be interested in (not Steve Hoffman's latest...)  ;D

Rob the Organ

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 12:54:31 AM »
Yes Pete it is Summer Holiday (aka Gomm With the Wind on reissue). Hard to find on CD

Gomm with the Wind was the USA release. I have a vinyl of both.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »
Well, Dai -  we might as well go the whole hog and plug ourselves now you've opened your trap: http://www.myspace.com/londoncountry

Nice site, Rob! Go that whole hog! Mmmmmm, hog.......