Author Topic: There is no sanity clause  (Read 5062 times)

Mike Morgan

There is no sanity clause
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
Just ordered tickets for Rich Hall for his April date (Who is this April woman?) in Port Talbot, 15 each.  Rhod Gilbert is in Swansea Grand for 25 a pop. 

Checked out a few other listings and both Michael Mcyntire (SP?) and John Bishop have large arena tours going on but still have their 'from 42' tickets available for many dates.  .

Comedy was recently described as the new rock and roll - this feels to me like the comedy bubble has burst and may return to it's rightful, to my mind, home of more intimate theatres.

Tel

Re: There is no sanity clause
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
There Is No Sanity Claus -

A quote from the legendary Marx Brothers to boot. From the film A Night At The Opera.

People have been saying this about comedy for some time but I suspect the current economic climate and the massive over exposure of certain comedians on TV has a lot to do with it.

I used to attend a lot of comedy shows and seen Rich Hall several times (extremely funny) but along with many other things it's been hit by my circumstances. There are many I would go and see if I could, though McIntyre wouldn't be one of them.

Live theatre will be next followed by live music and then cinema. And of course the pubs have already been hit big time.

Then it'll be bringing back the Workhouses! (I joke not read the small print in the last budget)

Rob W

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 07:05:47 PM »
Tel, I don't know what your "circumstances" are, and certainly not prying. But if it's these that prevented you from the Morriston at the weekend (and others), just so you know you were sorely missed, but not forgotten!

x   

Martin Daughton

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
Sorry Mike. I lost it when you included comedy and MM in the same thread.
I cannot stand that unfunny.... <collapses into incoherent spluttering>

Mike Morgan

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 01:50:21 AM »
Martin - I have to agree with you about Mc&tyre.  Initially I found him funny, but hsi 'humour' didn't take long to wear thin.

All these comedians doing the Arenas is extremely unattractive to me.  Just watched a bit of Al Murray doin the O2 which was ok, but.

Did I mention I went to the O2 last May to see... ;)

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 02:38:08 AM »

Nnnnnooooooooooo..............
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Martin Daughton

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »

Someone who looked a lot like you said something a lot like that a lot...  ;D

Mike Morgan

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 01:28:40 AM »
Did I mention I went twice? 8)

Rob W

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 01:58:44 AM »
Did I mention I went twice? 8)

I just managed it once. Must be an age thing........

Tel

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »
Tel, I don't know what your "circumstances" are, and certainly not prying. But if it's these that prevented you from the Morriston at the weekend (and others), just so you know you were sorely missed, but not forgotten!

x

Hi Rob and all

Thanks for the comment and I was there in spirit.

Unfortunately things have not been good both in circumstances and health for the past year.

Hoping that 2012 would be better than 2011 has however not been so. My sister, who is mentioned on my Manorak profile on the archive, passed away in the early hours of New Years Day at the tragically early age of 48. Since she gave up the Fish and Chip shop she has been living and working in Egypt so we also have all the heartache of repatriation as well.

She was a good 'un and Deke's words are oh so true in her case.

Tel

Mike Morgan

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 12:30:01 AM »
Tel, I don't know you other than through the board and didn't know your sister, but condolences anyway.  Difficult times.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 01:43:50 AM »
Sorry to hear your sad news, Tel.

Hope we'll be able to catch up at some point in the near future
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:27:14 AM »
Tel, my thoughts are with you.
Boldly going.......

Rob W

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 02:30:49 AM »
Yes, sorry to hear such sad news. Hope this doesn't come across as being crass, certainly not intended to be, but I go by the saying 'you have to play the cards you are dealt with'. Tel, be strong and get on with it. It's the only way. And you know, not saying we can replace an obviously loved close family member, but something I've been speaking with to a few message boarders since the recent gig, we here are more than just faceless internet names. We really are a 'family'. We're with you, mate! :)

Tel

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 04:14:45 AM »
Hi All

Thanks for the kind words.

It is difficult, especially for my Nephew and Niece and my Mum, who is 74. I've always believed that no parent should have to bury a child. The circumstances are also too similar to my Dad, who was also abroad (in Holland) when he died so all those memories have resurfaced as well.

It is still difficult to believe and it feels like a big gap has developed in my life.

But I do appreciate and I am grateful for your words which do give strength at this time.

Love

Tel