Author Topic: A night out in Hamburg  (Read 4171 times)

Mark Oakley

A night out in Hamburg
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »
You have approximately four-and-a-half hours in which to help influence my choice of entertainment on a one-night solo stint in Hamburg in Monday (when I shall endeavour tio resist the allure of the Reeperbahn in favour of musical entertainment).
My choices would appear to be: 1. Hard working northern German blues band Blueswalker; 2. US heavy psych' rockers Nebula, or 3) The Shin - who seem to be a fairly sophisticated folksy-blues outfit.
Has anybody come across any of these outfits? I'm completely undecided...so any and all opinions will be welcomed.

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
Re: A night out in Hamburg
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »
Has anybody come across any of these outfits? I'm completely undecided...so any and all opinions will be welcomed.

Oakers, none have reached my playlists, let us know how you get on..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Dave Bardsley

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:55 PM »
Oh the joys of experimentation and discovery.  The chance opportunity to go to a Queen Elizabeth College bar night where some unknown band would be playing (for free) led to my first hearing Wishbone Ash. 

Whether you go for a band or a stroll down the Reeperbahn, go for the one that is different from your normal diet. - You never know what you will find or what you will miss, but you will only have one opportunity to find something new...

Rob the Organ

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 01:17:11 AM »
You have approximately four-and-a-half hours in which to help influence my choice of entertainment on a one-night solo stint in Hamburg in Monday (when I shall endeavour tio resist the allure of the Reeperbahn in favour of musical entertainment).
My choices would appear to be: 1. Hard working northern German blues band Blueswalker; 2. US heavy psych' rockers Nebula, or 3) The Shin - who seem to be a fairly sophisticated folksy-blues outfit.

NEBULA by a long chalk. Euro-blues is often ineffective and played sitting down in jumpers - but with pointy guitars. Likewise over there folksy often means VERY folksy and stiff. You probably would do well to side with a USA act if in unchartered territory throughout all options.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »
If you've seen the film Garden State and enjoyed the somewhat fey but melodic tunes on some of the music, then you may have been enjoying The Shins.   Probably best described as a US Lilac Time
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Michael Heatley

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 12:41:10 PM »
What do you call a man with no Shins?

Tony  ;D

Martin Daughton

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »
What do you call a man with no Shins?
Tony

Funniest joke I've heard for days!

Mark Oakley

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:46:53 PM »
This turned into a typically shambolic Oakers outing!
Decided on The Shins and met a colleague near the venue for a beer or two an hour before doors opened. On studying the posters however, I discivered that The Shins are a Bulgarian folk-dance band...and I wasn't up for that in the slightest.
So after the beers I got a cab to The Logo Club to go see Nebula instead, only to find a large sign on the door reading Fall't Aus...which a helpful passr-by translated for me as Cancelled!
That left just The Cotton Club and Blueswalker, but sadly I now had insufficient funds for the additional cab journey + admission + a drink + cab back to hotel, so spent the night reading the previous day's paper and the latest Terry Pratchett!
I now wish I'd given The Shin a try regardless. Ah well.

Martin Daughton

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »
The Shins are a Bulgarian folk-dance band...and I wasn't up for that in the slightest.

I saw a Bulgarian folk-dance troupe on the Greek island of Naxos a few years back...
Apart from a couple of startlingly attractive female dancers you really didn't miss much.