Author Topic: Prog Rocks....  (Read 5669 times)

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
Prog Rocks....
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
Interesting looking prog compilation for the uninitiated which features Man, although (bizarrely imo) represented by California Silks And Satins.

Also includes Clive (Out of My Tree) and Deke (Hiding In The Darkness)

http://www.spincds.com/blog/2013/02/04/various-artists-prog-rocks-5cd/
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Rob W

Re: Prog Rocks....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »
Should C, S&S been the single from that LP?

I think so.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »

I think so.

Crosby, Stills and Sash?

That would cause a rumpus in Glasgow.

But, yes, it would have been a good single but might have done more harm than good if succesful given it was so different from other Man songs
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:18:33 PM by Allan Heron »
It's Just My View

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music

Rob W

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »

I think so.

Crosby, Stills and Sash?

That would cause a rumpus in Glasgow.

But, yes, it would have been a good single but might have done more harm than good if succesful given it was so different from other Man songs

Understood. But it didn't harm The Sweet.

Arjayay

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
I think so.
Roy Thomas Baker produced RW&L in between Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack
I'm not sure who decided he was the right producer, but people should not have been surprised at what he produced. 
I wonder what direction would Man have taken if C S & S had been a "hit" single? - back to the Bystanders?

Rob W

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »

I wonder what direction would Man have taken if C S & S had been a "hit" single? - back to the Bystanders?

Naaah, just follow it up with Rainbow Eyes ;)

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »
I think so.
Roy Thomas Baker produced RW&L in between Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack
I'm not sure who decided he was the right producer, but people should not have been surprised at what he produced. 

Actually, I see very little of Roy Thomas Baker's excesses in the sound of that album.  I see California Silks and Satins as a song very much relfecting Malcom as much as anything. 

He never seemed like a natural fit into the Manband at the time, and I suspect his relatively short tenure somewhat confirmed this.   Great songwriter and terrific singer but, friendship apart, not the best musical fit imo
It's Just My View

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music

Rob W

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »

Actually, I see very little of Roy Thomas Baker's excesses in the sound of that album.  I see California Silks and Satins as a song very much relfecting Malcom as much as anything. 

He never seemed like a natural fit into the Manband at the time, and I suspect his relatively short tenure somewhat confirmed this.   Great songwriter and terrific singer but, friendship apart, not the best musical fit imo

I agree entirely.

In addition, Deke Leonard was an even more uncomfortable fit when he played with Help Yourself.

And this may be near to heresy, but in a similar way, most seem to regard the golden age of Man as being BGTYALOAD and BITF. Both minus Deke!!!

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
All I've really heard of Deke's alliance with the Helps were the tracks on CATP where they just sounded like an expanded Iceberg.  Or did Iceberg sound like a contracted Helps with Deke?

Interesting point about BGTYALOAD and BITF.  You're right about the way they are held in esteem by the fans but I'd probably be more inclined to suggest DYLIHN as the epitome of the band's golden age.   His absence meant something was a bit missing on the Deke-less albums.

Having said that, it was probably only really TWC where it all seemed to hang together properly (I like RW&L and SM but there's weak elements in there) and we know what happened then. 

I'd also suggest that Endangered Species was good enough to rank amongs the best.    Probably the only one of the post-reunion albums I'd say that about unreservedly
It's Just My View

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music

Rob W

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
All I've really heard of Deke's alliance with the Helps were the tracks on CATP where they just sounded like an expanded Iceberg.  Or did Iceberg sound like a contracted Helps with Deke?

Interesting point about BGTYALOAD and BITF.  You're right about the way they are held in esteem by the fans but I'd probably be more inclined to suggest DYLIHN as the epitome of the band's golden age.   His absence meant something was a bit missing on the Deke-less albums.

Having said that, it was probably only really TWC where it all seemed to hang together properly (I like RW&L and SM but there's weak elements in there) and we know what happened then. 

I'd also suggest that Endangered Species was good enough to rank amongs the best.    Probably the only one of the post-reunion albums I'd say that about unreservedly

If I'm pinned against a wall and have to choose otherwise it's a slow and painful death, I would regard BGTY and BITF as the 'golden age', but agree entirely about DYLIHN and End Species.

Now here's the rub....... are you praising TWC? The album voted worst of all the Man LP's, and generally recognised as the weakest album (or certainly one of them!

Well I hope you are, because then I'm not on my own. I love the album, I love the band members at that time, as Phil Ryan said at the time, "funky"..... And as for live? well, the best Man band I saw. Keystone 1976 confirms why I still regret they split in 76 instead of maybe just taking a back seat or similar. Pre 76, it was Phil Ryan who did it for me. How ironic what happened post 2000 !!!

Re Deke with the Helps. My eternal thanks to PT (on this occasion, Pete, not Thistle) for a cracking CD of various Helps tracks. The difference when Deke plays is marked, an they do become a poor man's Iceberg, instead of the clasic Helps.

All in my humble opinion of course.....

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
Now here's the rub....... are you praising TWC? The album voted worst of all the Man LP's, and generally recognised as the weakest album (or certainly one of them!

Well I hope you are, because then I'm not on my own. I love the album, I love the band members at that time, as Phil Ryan said at the time, "funky"..... And as for live? well, the best Man band I saw. Keystone 1976 confirms why I still regret they split in 76 instead of maybe just taking a back seat or similar. Pre 76, it was Phil Ryan who did it for me. How ironic what happened post 2000 !!!

Indeed I am.    I think with Phil back in the band it allowed a proper balance between the playing that we all love alongside the strength of the songs.

I really like TWC and think it's a much more coherent and consistent album certainly than Slow Motion, but also probably Rhino's as well

It's a bit underwhelming on the production side but Mr Sanchez has his standing offer to remix the damned thing.   

And the gigs with this band were astounding as well.
It's Just My View

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music

Arjayay

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »
Re Deke with the Helps. My eternal thanks to PT (on this occasion, Pete, not Thistle) for a cracking CD of various Helps tracks. The difference when Deke plays is marked, an they do become a poor man's Iceberg, instead of the clasic Helps.

I don't know if they are on PTs selection, but I'd put a good word in for Leonard's playing with the Helps on The Amazing Zig-Zag concert

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »

I don't know if they are on PTs selection, but I'd put a good word in for Leonard's playing with the Helps on The Amazing Zig-Zag concert

i'd forgotten about that - will need to check it out again.

Can't get past the Nesmith set when I think of that collection.
It's Just My View

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »
..I've done some copies recently, but been pretty busy and not had time to post yet. Next week now.. :-\
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.