Author Topic: ANY RUGBY FANS OUT THERE?  (Read 5987 times)

William Rait

ANY RUGBY FANS OUT THERE?
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:15:50 PM »
Just wondered why, as this forum celebrates The Greatest Welsh Band ......Ever, that no mention seems to be made about Wales' national passtime and devout religion....RYGBU :)
Admittedly I went to scholl in Monmouth back in the 1960's and things may have changed somewhat(e.g the startling dominance of Swansea and Cardiff football teams may have bedazzled all welshmen)

Rob W

Re: ANY RUGBY FANS OUT THERE?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
Just wondered why, as this forum celebrates The Greatest Welsh Band ......Ever, that no mention seems to be made about Wales' national passtime and devout religion....RYGBU :)
Admittedly I went to scholl in Monmouth back in the 1960's and things may have changed somewhat(e.g the startling dominance of Swansea and Cardiff football teams may have bedazzled all welshmen)

Hi Unc, how are you doing?

But the question is......... is Rugby Union in wales all it's cracked up to be? As I see it, for all these years, driving through Wales, or on the train, the sports fields are predominantly association football. Rugby doesn't really get a look in.  Or does it?

;)

William Rait

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »
Hiya, Rob. Yeah ,That's what I was wondering. I haven't been to God's Own "2nd " Country(as in My other country is Scotland :)) for a very long time, and even then it was a long weekend in Snowdonia. I worry that this is the case, cos RU is very much a minority passtime else where in these 6 Nations. Like cricket in the Caribbean Islands being surpassed by kids learning to play Baseball(yeugh!) has the round ball finally removed Welsh predominance?

Mike Morgan

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »
When I was in secondary school in the 70's, there was a virtual ban on organised football i.e. the games lessons and there was no choice but to play rugby and the school only had a rugby team.  As time passed by, football was allowed and has indeed appeared to take over from rugby up to a point.

The rugby 'crowds' tend to be significantly lower than those attending football, but I find many rugby fans are more fanatical and have difficulty in accepting that there is nothing wrong in enjoying both codes and in my experience enjoy little more than sneering at anything to do with football.  Rugby clubs are closing and no longer have the 'heart of the community' role they once had and many are struggling to field youth teams.

And then you come to internationals.  Rugby rarely has a problem selling out the 75k or so capacity Millenium, but a 10k attendance for football in Swansea's Liberty Stadium is seen as a good effort.

I did post something about March the 16th (Wales v England) about a month ago and I don't think there was a single reply.

And if you're interested I have a fleeting interest in Rugby and don't follow football at all as I support West Ham ;D

Martin Daughton

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »
Admittedly I went to scholl in Monmouth

Pair of clogs? A cheese grater thing for your bunions? Medicated talcum powder?

Bad for your feet rugby.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:20:32 AM »
Good spot Matrin.  Hate  :)those miss-spellings.

Nothing to do with Arron's gal, however he's splet.

happytrails

• One of many Tragic Creatures who loves his bananas
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »
Yup...massive one here....only thing is I support the Quins and Munster...the whole family are rugby orientated....even enjoy Rugby League.

William Rait

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
Yup...massive one here....only thing is I support the Quins and Munster...the whole family are rugby orientated....even enjoy Rugby League.
I assume that you support Ireland then? In which case ,I apologise for your loss! In many years of watching Rygbu, I don't think I've ever seen such a bizarre result. Ireland 80% of possession, 80% of territory and yet still lost. I know that your no10 is getting stick, but really, it should never have come down to a rookie's boot. Ok, we defended doggedly(how many Scotland match reports have said that over the years) but usually we would still expect to loose and big time given that our attack was so pathetic. Hope Declan keeps his job and uses rest of the tourney to develop some of your great youngsters.

happytrails

• One of many Tragic Creatures who loves his bananas
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »
Uncle Bill, yeah there sure are a lot good players in Ireland, Wales everywhere, but England are me team ...have just always admired Munster but Quins come 1st...especially as I can get a Bus all the from home to their ground.

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 02:02:59 AM »
Rugby doesn't really get a look in.  Or does it?

..twat.

Anything field that's flat has the tall posts..

..but then the games not played properly till you get the other side of the river. (and then only the highest natural crossing point)..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:08:49 AM by Pete T »
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »
No!
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
*Anything*..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Rob W

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 02:53:05 PM »
Did Pete T call me a tw*t?

We used to be such good friends.

And I still harbour hopes of us sharing a canoe one day, soon.

Tw*t

;D    ;D

Arjayay

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
I still harbour hopes of us sharing a canoe one day, soon.
Less canoodling in public please

William Rait

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
I still harbour hopes of us sharing a canoe one day, soon.
Less canoodling in public please
He said that to me and then left me up the creek.........paddleless ;D