Author Topic: ..for those of you not on Facebook..  (Read 9013 times)

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
..for those of you not on Facebook..
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:02:31 AM »
Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday dear PT,
Happy birthday to me...
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Andrew P

Re: ..for those of you not on Facebook..
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
There's tidy. Belated good wishes, Pete.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »
Happy Birthday Pete, we're in for a flurry now (hint)

I was going to ask you about this Facebook malarkey - I know you're a user so you might be able to assist me...Story is that all the myspace artist sites have been knacked unilaterally and I have been cut off in my prime. I wondered if being on facebook might be an idea as there is more musical skulduggery afoot and I need to be able to communicate certain ground breaking events. Trouble is, I don't know how Fb works and I can't quite see the point of it - others get messages telling them that somebody they don't know has done something they're not interested in and this has put me off. However I know a sizeable Man contingent loiter, many of whom are not forum members, so (to quote hip jargon) I need a tailor made solution and you are just the man. Expect an email.

celias

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »
Happy Birthday Pete - best wishes - Celia and Barb

Mike Morgan

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
Nick, I was reluctant to sign up initially for the reasons youmention in your post.

Having accepted that there will be a lot of crap - a mates daughters posts are typically 'I'm lying on the sofa watching eastenders'.  Five minutes later' Eastenders has just finished and I'm going to make a cup of tea' - I've found it really useful way of keeping touch from near and far iin a very quick format; I haven't always got enough to say to warrant an email which can look abrupt where it seems appropriate onFBook.
  Another thing I find useful is that for some reason, our very own veteran journalists emails for things like Deke updates fail to get here for some reason but I see the stuff on FBook.

Unwanted Friend Requests do pop up from time to time, but you can ignore the ones you don't want to accept.

Some of us in work are in one particular group and as such can be assured that onkly those intended to receive the messages can view them, unless of course someone cuts and pastes or whatever.  A handy option if, like me, you can;'t remember which method of posting messages goes to the individual or the world at large.  A bit of advice I saw on that is 'if you woudn't paint it on the side of your house, don't put it on FBook'.

Watch out for the game requests though >:(

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »
Happy Birthday Pete, we're in for a flurry now (hint)

I was going to ask you about this Facebook malarkey - I know you're a user so you might be able to assist me...Story is that all the myspace artist sites have been knacked unilaterally and I have been cut off in my prime. I wondered if being on facebook might be an idea as there is more musical skulduggery afoot and I need to be able to communicate certain ground breaking events. Trouble is, I don't know how Fb works and I can't quite see the point of it - others get messages telling them that somebody they don't know has done something they're not interested in and this has put me off. However I know a sizeable Man contingent loiter, many of whom are not forum members, so (to quote hip jargon) I need a tailor made solution and you are just the man. Expect an email.

If "others get messages telling them that somebody they don't know has done something they're not interested in" then they don't know what they're doing.   What you receive on Facebook is entirely down to who you want to "friend" or the groups/pages that you join or like.   If you find you don't want the information that's coming though, then unfriend, unlike or leave the group as appropriate.

There's some "sponsored" stuff which are essentially ads but that's what you expect on a free service, but the sponsored stuff is usually driven by any other activity so has the benefit of being reasonably relevant.

It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
If "others get messages telling them that somebody they don't know has done something they're not interested in" then they don't know what they're doing. 

Yep, that's them all right!

Rob W

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »
I pick up the phone and speak

Or text

Maybe email

Don't write letters any more

Do kids still have penpals? Suppose not with fb. Another industry that's died due to technology.

Yours sincerely,

A Luddite

:))

Michael Heatley

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:57:06 PM »
Happy birthday Pete. Is it Varieties again?

And Mike M, you have PM.

Davey

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:06 PM »
...i am on fb...for now...but im gonna take a year off from it for an experiment in a month or two...in terms of promoting ones own music, im not so sure...ive never heard of a group breaking out on fb...keeping in touch with people who are far away and/or who are heroes is a plus...hearing important info about an old friend etc... but people are getting so much info; that while the guy from gilligans island(god bless him) is getting 1,768,078  "likes", on a good day im getting a total of 3 ... its nice to share things with people...but in my case, im gonna use "the force" like star wars for the next year to do that...then ill check back in...good luck Nick!...btw Pete T your b day message is over there :) cheers&peace...

Rob W

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »
Forgot to say in my above post. Happy birthday, Pete.

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 12:35:27 AM »

And Mike M, you have PM.

Two years to go micheal, two years. I'm a youngster amongst us!!

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 12:35:52 AM »
Forgot to say in my above post. Happy birthday, Pete.

Thank you Rob..

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 12:37:30 AM »
Yours sincerely,

A Luddite

:))

..and we used to light the fire by rubbing two sticks together. Does anyone apart from Roy mears still do that?..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:39:13 AM by Pete T »

Mike Morgan

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 12:39:30 AM »

And Mike M, you have PM.

Buggered if I can find it! :).

My initially  reaction would be my total ineptitude at IT related stuff 8)