Author Topic: Springsteen & I  (Read 10492 times)

Mike Morgan

Re: Springsteen & I
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »
Point of detail; not a point to be scored ;)

Rob W

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »

At Hampden it was a woman who was in her 50's and possibly older that was taken up.   He noticed the sign to dance with Hazel early on in the gig and he said he most certainly would.   This was probably two hours at least before they played Dancing In The Dark.   Not sure if this is irrational or not, but I would have been majorly disappointed to the point of it ruining the gig if he hadn't gone back for Hazel.   It was a close run thing as he picked someone else out of the crowd but they had been waving a sign wanting to dance with Jake.   Jake being Jake Clemons being Clarence Clemons son.   So the girl was set up with Jake and the Bruce went and got Hazel up.   And just to add to the senitmentalily of it all, the Hampden gig was the second anniversary of the Big Man's death and Bruce was very attentive to Jake all evening.  It's all on You Tube if you want to check it out.  i dare you to watch it and not have a huge grin plastered on your face.

Went to keep the wife happy?  That does sound like the guy in the film.

I was at Roundhay Park as well and it was a fantastic experience.  Booked into one of the bus trips which took us down the day before and we stayed in Manchester overnight before heading over to Leeds.   I was on my ownsome and there was also a girl on the bus on her lonesome too.   Feel free to fill in the details ;-)

I've got a recording of this show if you're interested.  Actually, even if you're not interested, I've still got a copy of the show.  (And also this monrh's Hampden gig too)

Allan. You ageist, you!!! There are some pretty 50+ year old women you know! Very pretty..... very, very pretty. 

Yes, I will watch it. And not only will I have a huge grin on my face, my eyes will probably well up!

I used to keep the wife happy (now, now) by accompanying her to rubbish gigs (the worst being Elton John, but would have been Barry White. Fortunately for me, the Barry White gig (sic) was cancelled. Unfortunately for him, it was because he died. Or was he just ill? Either way, you may remember it was a hot topic on the ancestral manboard. Anyway, those gigs (sic) gave me nectar points to watch Man away.

Yes, I recall you saying you were at Roundhay Park. A great day. I'm glad you are recounting your tale with the lonesome girl, because if it was me, you'd tell me off   ;)

Allan, if you don't mind me asking. If you have a copy of the Roundhay Park gig, could I have a copy? I'd like to see it, but Debbie (ex Mrs W) would love it. Thank you

Rob W

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »
Rob, it's all the twisting and turning (rather than the twisting and shouting) and very hard surfaces that normally does for footballers and other athletes joints.  I saw a stat once that went something like 60% of all sportsfolk have either arthritis or the begginings of by the time they were forty.  I always though Ian Rush was ok until there was a replay of a goal he scored. He started the move in the welsh goal area and stuck it away the other end about 15 seconds later.  Remarkable!
Totally happy to accept that what I wrote are generalisations, but generalisations with some foundation ;)

Allan, just had a look at the setlist and agree with you that it looks like a rock set, but the overall feel to me at the time was a strong violin influence, with the squeeze box also featuring strongly.  Something I loved is the way the band looked they were having a great time and loved what they were involved in.  That always gives me a nice feeling when bands exude that so you must be wondering why I enjoy seeing Roger Waters so much!  I have no answer to that ::)

I'd just like to reiterate that I had a great night and really enjoyed the band.

Re twisting and turning.... you're quite right. It's also the constant sprinting from a standing start which is a totally different type of fitness regime.  I never did understand why most park football teams idea of fitness training was a cross country run around the local park, or worse still, along the roads.

Talking of Ian Rush... Jears back, I had front row tickets to see the posy sh*te known as Les Mis. went with the ubiquitous Mrs W, and my scouse pal and his Mrs. Front row, behind the orchestra pit, all the toffs, and my Scouse pal whispers to me loudly so that everyone could hear "this is ok, but I'd rather watch Rushy nod one in at the far post". Utter class. Can still see the woman's face behind me.

And I agree about the band having a great time. At Roundhay Park, it was just like one big enjoyable party, of which the 10k, 20k+ (Allan ?) crowd were made very much part of.  Contrast this wth our very own Mart............

:)

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
Contrast this wth our very own Mart............

Hmm. For some odd reason I now hear Loose Stringbean (sorry, but I did work in a record shop and you soon build up a list of alternate names) singing 'Manillo'. Try it, it works! Now where's my medication. Oh there they all are.
Nationsounds - the label that brought you Shake The Nation and raised 1,500 in memory of Micky...

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 05:03:58 PM »
And I agree about the band having a great time. At Roundhay Park, it was just like one big enjoyable party, of which the 10k, 20k+ (Allan ?) crowd were made very much part of.  Contrast this wth our very own Mart............

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/music-and-gigs/leeds-music-nostalgia-summer-of-1985-the-boss-played-roundhay-park-1-5885537
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »
Allan, if you don't mind me asking. If you have a copy of the Roundhay Park gig, could I have a copy? I'd like to see it, but Debbie (ex Mrs W) would love it. Thank you

Not a problem - it's just an audio recording though
It's Just My View

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »
It's Just My View

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music

Mike Morgan

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 11:20:55 PM »
Good to know Mrs Queens grandson is having a nod at the Manband with his sprogs name.  Would have been better if it had been Michael George, but one out of two aint bad 8).

Can't see the royals going for 'Deke'.  Which is a shame.

Rob W

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 11:28:50 PM »
Good to know Mrs Queens grandson is having a nod at the Manband with his sprogs name.  Would have been better if it had been Michael George, but one out of two aint bad 8).

Can't see the royals going for 'Deke'.  Which is a shame.

Spookiness abounds.

Enjoying the evening sunshine with a neighbour, and I said to him, why couldn't they name it Wayne or Gaz. Oh well...

Rob W

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 12:35:59 AM »

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/music-and-gigs/leeds-music-nostalgia-summer-of-1985-the-boss-played-roundhay-park-1-5885537

Don't know why I said 10-20, I recall the crowd was massive. I also recall watching the fencing get torn down as per the article.

Bit different to this weekend when I'll be watching Manc Floyd at Bury Met. Wonder if Mike M will be there. Did he ever tell you he went to see....?