Author Topic: "The Great 1936 Bury (vs. Swansea) Dressing Room Incident"  (Read 2740 times)

Rob W

"The Great 1936 Bury (vs. Swansea) Dressing Room Incident"
« on: August 14, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »
For any Swans out there. And those who can't make up their mind (Mike?   8)  )

Great stuff. I'm surprised there wasn't a war declared.

http://scfcheritage.wordpress.com/from-the-archive-2/the-great-1936-bury-dressing-room-incident/

Mike Morgan

Re: "The Great 1936 Bury (vs. Swansea) Dressing Room Incident"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Rob,  Great stuff but I can't read the scan of the letter from the Swans as it's too light.  I can guess at the general tone from the other correspondence. :D

I've followed the Swans since the 60s and my first visit to the Vetch was in about 1967 and those visits carried on until the late 80's when circumstances made it difficult for me to get there.  I was there for many seasons when the 'crowd' numbered about 2,000 and I used to make arrangements to meet people inside the ground as it wasn't necessary to meet outside.

Swans and WHU have always been my two footballing loves, but WHU were confirmed as my'first' club on the Swans first home game last season when they slaughterd WH 3 - 0 and I took no joy from that.  It did help not to show emotion as I was in the WH end.

If I had to try and quantify my preferences I would say they're probably 100% WH and 95% Swans.  Each club has brought me deep misery in their own way over the years ;)

Rob W

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:45:23 PM »
Mike, I can  read the letter from Swans clearly, both on my laptop and this here mobile. Hope you can somehow, because it makes good reading. Disputes in those days were handled so gentlemanly. Queensbury Rules and all that.

And I have a 2nd team. Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic Football Club, or AFC Bournemouth from when John Bond (ex WHU) had the name changed.

Firmly in 2nd place though. But if someone asks me for my favourite all time player, it's not any of the Bury legends, but Ted Macdougall.

Must admit, I now look out for PT's results now before Bnmth...

Mike Morgan

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 12:03:13 AM »
Rob,  I shall get my team of IT experts  8) on the case to see if my contrast settings can be suitably reconfigured.  Won't be my son, prob be a mate once he gets his car fixed / gets a new one.

This may take some time.

Rob W

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
 And today was the rubbish 2013 Bury (vs. Newport) football match incident.

Poor game. Two poor teams. Not surprised Bannon bottled oit of attending ;)

Prior to match, chatting with N'port fans in the pub, shoehorned Man into the conversation, not even the fella's my age took the bait. That disappointed me more than the match.

Looking forward to the return match though. Maybe...

Barry Island

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the correspondence re Chico Flores' recent exploits. Probably be written by the Swan's hairdresser in attendance on the day.
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense