Author Topic: How did you discover Man?  (Read 41446 times)

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
Re: How did you discover Man?
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
Quite right, Pete. You tell him.

I'll now carry on listening to the wireless...

..Deke's wireless?..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

happytrails

• One of many Tragic Creatures who loves his bananas
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:55 PM »
My introduction was a bit longed winded ...but not that long...It was having seen IceBerg supporting Hawkwind at the Hawkwind / IT Party at Wembley...was knocked out by their sound and mentioned it to a friend who said I ought to listen to Man on Greasy Truckers...that was it for me...but then I met a young lady working behind the counter of a record shop in Kingston who I grew up with, she invited me upstairs for a smoke where they were playing a copy of Happy Trails...that was it fer me, I knew then that I was well and truly tuned in ...

Barry Island

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2014, 10:04:26 PM »
My introduction was a bit longed winded ...but not that long...It was having seen IceBerg supporting Hawkwind at the Hawkwind / IT Party at Wembley...was knocked out by their sound and mentioned it to a friend who said I ought to listen to Man on Greasy Truckers...that was it for me...but then I met a young lady working behind the counter of a record shop in Kingston who I grew up with, she invited me upstairs for a smoke where they were playing a copy of Happy Trails...that was it fer me, I knew then that I was well and truly tuned in ...
Sounds like the dream record shop to me. Are we talking Kingston Jamaica? Jamaica or did she offer? Double punnery for you there.
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

happytrails

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2014, 10:16:25 PM »
Jamaica would have been warmer than Surrey, and she offered ,but only the toke...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:18:08 PM by happytrails »

Barry Island

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 10:26:31 PM »
Nevertheless sounds good but obviously a branch of Virgin records!!!(Sorry in very poor taste but just couldn't resist)
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

happytrails

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2014, 10:41:22 PM »
Told me I coudn't hit the Karma button more than once in an hour...yer comment put a smile on me face though...so did the Kashmir Twist we toked.

rockprof

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2014, 11:51:07 PM »
Huzzah for Kashmir twist! And the lost fortnight listening to Man and the Clash at the Rock View in Srinagar.....
Another bit of paradise now off limits.... :(

Nikke55

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »
No. it wasn't me! But one of my firend stole some records in a recordshop. One was Elephants Memory and the other was Man - Revelation. That album had a deep impact on my musical taste. And it has to this day. I've got all the albums on vinyl even "Live at the Padget Rooms" and Iceberg things. Deke's Map of India of course.
A big moment was when I saw Man live in Stockholm 1974? It was when Deke was back after Iceberg. I was standing with my friend in the front row at the door when the members of Man came walking by to get in. Mickey came first and think I was the only one recognising them. But I was perplexed I couldn't say anything. The gig? One of the best in my life! There's a lot more to say. Man made me to go to Wales. Been there three times so far.
Be good to yourself...
Kai

John Bannon

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2014, 09:08:40 PM »
No. it wasn't me! But one of my firend stole some records in a recordshop. One was Elephants Memory and the other was Man - Revelation. That album had a deep impact on my musical taste. And it has to this day. I've got all the albums on vinyl even "Live at the Padget Rooms" and Iceberg things. Deke's Map of India of course.
A big moment was when I saw Man live in Stockholm 1974? It was when Deke was back after Iceberg. I was standing with my friend in the front row at the door when the members of Man came walking by to get in. Mickey came first and think I was the only one recognising them. But I was perplexed I couldn't say anything. The gig? One of the best in my life! There's a lot more to say. Man made me to go to Wales. Been there three times so far.
Be good to yourself...
Kai
Hi Kai, Welcome to the board, these memories are exactly the type of thing we like to hear.   

Barry Island

« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
Nice one Nikke. Where do you live now and which bits of Wales did you visit?