Author Topic: "Alls Well That Ends Well" - views and reviews  (Read 14181 times)

Rob W

Re: "Alls Well That Ends Well" - views and reviews
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 01:36:03 AM »
Hi Mike. Not sure if I'm not understanding you correctly. AWTEW is a live album.

I do like Man, the 1976 version, live. The keystone album is awesome.

rockprof

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 03:53:51 AM »
Due to financial constraints (Google 'Ireland/Troika/poverty') I don't have the new version, so am perhaps unqualified to make comparisons.....
But the original seemed to me a dreadful anti climax. The mix seemed weak, there was no OOMPH! For what was at the time, the bands final album, I don't think it did them justice.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 12:56:35 PM »
Due to financial constraints (Google 'Ireland/Troika/poverty') I don't have the new version, so am perhaps unqualified to make comparisons.....
But the original seemed to me a dreadful anti climax. The mix seemed weak, there was no OOMPH! For what was at the time, the bands final album, I don't think it did them justice.

As an album by a band that had split up, and needed to fulfil a contract I doubt anyone was paying too much attention to it.  The new version does rectify all the original faults in the album though.
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »
..I don't have it either.

Like Rob, it wasn't a favourite album. More a "shit, we've got a contract to fulfill, let's stick out another live album"..
I don't have quite a few of the recent re-issues either.. One day, perhaps.. Where there has been some considerable additional "bonus material", yes, I've gone for it..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Davey

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 08:35:59 PM »
..I don't have it either.

Like Rob, it wasn't a favourite album. More a "shit, we've got a contract to fulfill, let's stick out another live album"..
I don't have quite a few of the recent re-issues either.. One day, perhaps.. Where there has been some considerable additional "bonus material", yes, I've gone for it..
No, I've not.

I really do not like the original AWTEW album, and could not see the point in purchasing this. Frankly, I also couldn't understand what I perceived as incredible irony, considering how much the 1976 albums got slagged off, all the hype when it was announced this was being released.

However, the reports I am reading have made me reconsider, and when I get round to it, I'll get it ordered.

...i was hoping for a group listening session:)... if you guys get this i think you will dig it.here you do have 2 discs of bonus material in the form of a complete set...from the original album i dig the Spunk Rock which sounds very good here...the intro, the guitar interplay etc... Phil and Micky's solos on Welsh Connection are real nice,but overall i like the newly released one on disc 2 ...Micky's solo there is phenomenal for example...In the Welsh Connection played live,i also like what Micky does in between when Phil solos on the organ and switches to his synth solo...those four bars of riffs always gives you a nice taste of whats to come later in the tune...to hear some of the stuff from the movie(7171 551,Babe i'm gonna leave you,Born with a Future,and the full C'mon)in pristine sound and as pure audio is a nice treat.Terry is above tip top form throughout as is everyone.with John Mckenzie on bass you can't go wrong in my book...i thought the Bananas was going to be from the movie,but it wasn't...one of the best versions i've heard, the solos themselves and the segue between Phil and Micky goes beautifully here,and the sound(s) that Micky is getting out of the guitar...the previously unreleased "The Ride and the View" is also a great version.Deke's vocal is right on...it says in the notes that film footage of a complete concert exists...i think it would be an incredible project to have that properly released along with the original Roundhouse movie...can't see any good reason why it should stay in a vault for all time...same with the previous Harlech tv special with the unedited "Ain't their fight"-peace

George Jones

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
We are still working on getting the footage sorted, lots of legal issues to sort out tho'

It's a great shame we could not make one big box set of Audio and Video, but it was not meant to be.  Looks like if we can resolve the issues surrounding the legalities, it will now obviously have to be released at a later time.  Much later the way things are going.

However, two other releases are in the pipeline, more on that soon  ;)

Mike Morgan

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 11:38:31 PM »
Hi Mike. Not sure if I'm not understanding you correctly. AWTEW is a live album.

I do like Man, the 1976 version, live. The keystone album is awesome.

Quite right,Rob.  A senior moment which I realsied at about 12:00 and couldn't get off to sleep but resisted the tempation to get up and put a correcvtion in!

I meant The Welsh Connection.  Some of it was superb - Ride and the View clearly, but I was dissapointed with other parts of it.

What I meant to say was something like:
The reason I bought All's Well was to get the full show rather than for the original version which I have after picking it up for 4 in Bristol Fopp about 12 years ago.

I'll get me cocoa.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »

I still hold out hope for the complete Glasgow show on the Cipollina tour which I think was mentioned in the Keep On Crinting sleeve notes
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

joan

• Terry Williams and Man pages
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »

number 1 would be this:
"New horizons" BBC TV 1974 (approx 25 minutes)
Performed: Back into the future demo and recording plus various interviews and other footage.......there is footage of the band recording at Olympic Studios in Barnes.....there are also snatches of live footage of the band and shots of the cover photograph of the BITF album being taken at Taplow railway station in Berkshire.
Line-up: Micky Jones, Terry Williams, Phil Ryan and Will Youatt.

and number 2:
Old grey whistle test BBC TV 1973, 15 minutes
"Ain't their fight" and "Life on the road"
Filmed at Golders Green Hippodrome at the same time as recording a Radio One in Oncert programme in October 1973.
Line-up: Micky Jones, Terry Williams, Phil Ryan, Will Youatt and Tweke Lewis.

Ron Brain

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 01:47:41 AM »
now this does sound a lot better... just arrived today.

Pete Feenstra

Re: "Alls Well That Ends Well" - belated review
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
Here's a belated review of Man's fine box set of 'All's Well That Ends' Well' on Esoteric, please click on the link below

http://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/2014/07/album-review-man-alls-well-that-ends-well/