Author Topic: A NEW BEGINNING......  (Read 93738 times)

Alan Davies

Re: A NEW BEGINNING......
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »
How spooky is that. As I read your post I am playing the re-release Man 1970. Romain just moved nicely into Country Girl.

Martin Daughton

« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »
How spooky is that. As I read your post I am playing the re-release Man 1970. Romain just moved nicely into Country Girl.

Very spooky because I just did the washing-up while playing the re-release Paget...."Romain"  :o

Rob the Organ

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2008, 12:22:56 AM »

Somebody told me that Clive john is not well and was in hospital.

Cezza :(

Do we know how recent this news was? Clive was hospitalised earlier in the year with a chest condition but all that was ages ago.

I did speak to Clive in Sept/Oct to pick his brains for the guitars article I wrote for TWC last issue and he seemed fine, so I'm hoping the news was a belated bulletin.

THAT SAID - I did leave a voicemail for Clint just before weekend (re: Knees Xmas gig) and have yet to hear from him - which is most unusal. Usually the phone rings with a cheery Hanover Street "How are you, you bugger?" within a day or two. So I am concerned now..

Anybody with 100% cast-iron up to the minute news, please step forward!!!

Rob the Organ

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2008, 12:26:55 AM »
If Take That changed their name to Man, would you suddenly buy their records and watch them? 

Well they'd have to prove they could do a decent version of "Many Are Called" first.

I've never been convinced that it's the personnel who make the band Man. For me it's the music they create.

There would have to be some continuity for me - unless a posse comprised of (say) Deke, Tweke, Clive, Ken & Jeff Jones were to come along and set up shop if all other existing parties called it quits. That would be Man in my head, no problem.

Davey

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2008, 04:05:25 AM »
oh...well everybody keep playing the music of course;looking forward to the next man album and concert

and more;if i don't catch up with you please don't forget to come to america together or solo; maybe new

york if you would;we'll have a good time-peace

mikes

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2008, 01:50:27 PM »
... and love, davey.

Are your mushrooms good over there?

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »
... and love, davey.

Are your mushrooms good over there?

..at this rate, he'll soon be up to 10 posts..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

joan

• Terry Williams and Man pages
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2008, 03:00:40 AM »
Sad news, I didn't know all this mess !  :o
It's hard to decide who would deserve the right to have a band called MAN:
Martin Ace, who has been in and out since 1970 and is 'almost' a founder member
or
George Jones, son of Micky, the MAN himself.

No idea...

Martyn Jones

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
I think most fans think the same way lets just hopr 2009 proves a good year for Man music, see you on the road what ever the line up is

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »
Greetings Joan

Glad you have joined this site - I have been looking at your updated TW site http://webs.ono.com/joan_duarte/terry.html - I didn't realise that there was a documentary on him ('Between Ourselves') and this is one I would like to see!

The Rockpalast and Roundhouse DVDs are now available as proper releases on Voiceprint VPDV35 and 36.

As for Man.....yes, a significant event has taken place. We think that legally Martin is entitled to use the name 'Man' and therefore George would have to call his band something else, although this is not confirmed. (Can anyone confirm the legal side?)

It would appear that musically George is more inclined towards the BGTY style than Martin. As this was arguably the most popular version of Man, this split - although painful - may ultimately enable a return towards that style.

So we're hoping that good news can come out of bad, and we're looking forward to two new albums next year! 

Nationsounds - the label that brought you Shake The Nation and raised 1,500 in memory of Micky...

joan

• Terry Williams and Man pages
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2008, 09:26:40 PM »
Hi Nick Nation

That Terry documentary is very interesting but I have it in bad quality, like Jules do if I remember well.

Personally I think MAN without Micky nor Deke isn't really MAN.
Right now without Deke and Micky, Martin seems "necessary" for MAN to exist but...I think he isn't a talented musician.
So...

Martyn Jones

« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2008, 09:27:03 PM »
I would love to know the legal side as each band is different, for example BJH are John lees BJH or BJH featuring Les Holroyd, Martin Turners WA, or just plain Wishbone Ash. So we could have Martin Ace and Man, Manband featuring George Jones and Bod Richards the list is endless!! The legal expertswill be the one's who make the money on this one as they always do.

Rob the Organ

« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2008, 11:35:03 PM »
Martin seems "necessary" for MAN to exist but...I think he isn't a talented musician.
So...

Don't hold back, Joan, speak your mind!

Rob the Organ

« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2008, 11:57:49 PM »
It would appear that musically George is more inclined towards the BGTY style than Martin.

Just as well, because Deke ain't coming back in a hurry. ;D

I think we're all arriving at the same crossroads now, whatever our initial thoughts and loyalties were:

• Martin is the rightful owner to the Man name. He may not be 1968 original but occupied the bass slot longer than anyone else in 1968-76 AND has been there since 1983 when the band reformed and commenced fresh trading. His new band will be Man as he sees it with (I spoke to Martin and he told me this himself) brand new material but enough old chestnuts to satify the faithful.
  • George Jones's new band will be a Manband-based project where he will keep his father's flag flying highly and the chances are it might be a very interesting band, very BGTY/BITF influenced to make sense of the lack of Deke and is also likely to bring in a load of new material we haven't heard for a few years.
  • Deke Leonard's Iceberg (featuring Will Youatt) will hopefully out and about again next year to satisfy the faithful and hopefully scoop up a few of the stragglers that fell away from Man after Micky/Deke both jacked it in.

I think next year will be a great year for Man-related music, not the disaster that many fear...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:03:48 AM by Rob the Organ »

Davey

« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2008, 06:01:16 AM »
have to say i do believe martin ace is talented,surely this talent relates to music ...just curious(not

weighing in)is rightful the same as legal?...very excited to see and hear the rockapalast. thanks for the

info-stay with the music-happy new year-davey