Author Topic: "Manfinger"  (Read 2796 times)

Davey

"Manfinger"
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
has everyone seen this? it may be over by now : a film commemorating Man and Badfinger http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-s-Glynn-Vivian-Art-Gallery-celebrates/story-20941897-detail/story.html ... -peace

Rob W

Re: "Manfinger"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:08:49 PM »
That's a great spot, Davey. How did you come across that? It's on this coming Saturday. I'm surprised there's been no mention of this. Surely somebody knows of it? If I lived in Wales, I'd be there.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:31:22 PM »
That's a great spot, Davey. How did you come across that? It's on this coming Saturday. I'm surprised there's been no mention of this. Surely somebody knows of it? If I lived in Wales, I'd be there.

Of course, if you lived in Wales, you'd be in Wales   8)

Hope this will at least get a DVD release if it doesn't show more widely
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Davey

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:16:47 AM »
.....i was just googling to find the Man/Badfinger '74 tour poster and it was the first thing that popped up...if i was in Swansea i'd have been there too...i kind of dig Swansea,at least the parts i've been to so far-cheers

George Jones

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 01:13:40 AM »
First I've heard!!!! I'll check it out!

Rob W

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 02:53:31 AM »
Done a bit of a google search. Only one site appeared but quite a good little read.
Can't understand how this has slipped below the radar. Mention on this site of liaising with fanzines....?

And I get the impression not even the facebookers have a clue. Deary me :) 

George Jones

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 11:11:17 AM »
Im looking into it as we speak, no-one has been contacted about it. 

A review has popped up tho' and it is not favourable...... :o

Leon Michael

"........tonight I attended the screening of Manfinger, a documentary that supposedly "looks at the intenal tensions between commercial success and rebellious expression in the music industry" its an hour of my life that I will never get back... this has to be the worst documentary I have ever had the displeasure to sit through, bad camera work, appauling sound quality (so bad that at times it was captioned) and no cohesion. The alarm bells began ringing before the film, in the introduction by the film makers, one of whom admitted that when they began to make the film she had heard of neither Badfinger or Man, (Now that is a good start) they had no storyboard, they just let the interviews lead the documentary....a great idea if they had interviewed at least one of the members of the bands mentioned, but no,Apart from the inclusion of a journalist who had interviewed the girlfriend of Pete Ham (the girl who inspired the song "Without You") the interviewees were a list of nobodys who had achieved nothing and had no real experience of the music industry , a bunch of students without a clue... and 60 minutes of my life that I will never get back. I wish I could say it was so bad it was brilliant, but no...it was beyond that. My advice is to AVOID THIS SCREENING AT ALL COSTS. Look at my example, save yourself 60minutes of you life..walk along the beach, breath in the air, hug someone you love....go shopping....but do not go see this documentary."

Borderboy

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Chin up boys. "It was brilliant, but no...it was beyond that" "they just let the interviews lead the documentary....a great idea" -  Leon Michael. Well that's how the West End works isn't it?  ;)

Colin Salter

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
It does seem extraordinary to make and show a film about Swansea people in Swansea without speaking to people who actually knew the bands. Presumably Swansea is full of such people, as even the most basic research of the subject would indicate. Reminds me of an interview I was present at conducted by Muriel Grey, the Scottish cultural journalist. She took great pride in not doing any preparation for her interviews "to allow the spontaneity of the moment carry her through". Bollockspeak for being ignorant and not worth your salary. We had to do all the running of explaining who we were and why we were on her show and (not quite) who Shakespeare was, who had written the play we were performing.