Author Topic: Quicksilver Messenger Service  (Read 22861 times)

Rob the Organ

Re: Quicksilver Messenger Service
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 02:13:21 AM »
So...you mean we've had a three page discussion, decided that Dino Valenti isn't everyone's cup of tea, had to attend night school to learn how to scan a picture of JC looking the wrong way, caught some lung disease through blowing the dust of ancient copies of Dark Star, decided that Gary Duncan is also quite a good guitarist, that Freiberg is 70, that Cipololitta played in lots of bands (but not Mott The Hoople) only to learn that they're now not coming over?

......sorry, my mistake. Their place has been taken by the Dino Valenti/Mickey Hart band. Backing vox by Donna Godchaux. And here's their version of.....'Pride Of Man!' Wail! Shriek!

Come on, set me up for some more before I have to go and do something useful. 

Nick, Dino is dead. So we're safe there. But we have learned more (over a few disparate threads that somehow overlap by way of Ch*n* C*t S*nfl*w*r) about post-heyday San Francisco than you have highlighted:

We (literally "we" as it was you and I) have also taught the world that if you ever plan a wedding and need a spare part, Mickey Hart is your man; That Bez had a precursor in Donna Godchaux, and that the GD might have gone to heaven if they hadn't have recorded the similarly titled abortion of an album; most crucially that Bob Weir's "Ace" is the best GD album after American Beauty and that after Blues For Allah the game is over.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2008, 11:12:15 AM »

Incidentally Nick (bringing two threads together) - I, too, am a Touch of Grey fan.  Not for any particular musical reason, but the lyrics certainly struck a chord.  "Every silver lining... I will get by." 

Yes, particularly apt at the beginning of this year. (Goes a bit quiet.....then brightens up)
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
Of course it doesn't get anywhere near Cassidy...

Oh No! Dont! Quick! It's all too beautiful!

Fair do, Donna sang this well. She was fine in the studio on the quieter stuff (e.g. 'France' on Shakedown Street) but couldn't deliver it on stage.

How can I be sure?  ::)

Ho! Allan - I write the songs that make the whole world sing!
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 07:49:29 PM »
We (literally "we" as it was you and I) have also taught the world that if you ever plan a wedding and need a spare part, Mickey Hart is your man; That Bez had a precursor in Donna Godchaux....

Ah Rob. An interesting concept has just entered my head.

I realise that with most people, concepts enter their heads as well. However, unlike me, they reject the useless ones.

Being a desperate artiste, I have to consider everything, just in case. And also because I can't tell. So with the irony presented by 'rejecting the useless ones', let's consider other spare part musicians who have neverthless had successful careers and NO I'M NOT BITTER. (heaves chest in and out for dramatic effect....)

Steve Knight (Mountain) - Keyboards;
Joe Leeway (Thompson Twins) - Not Sure;
Mickey Hart (Mickey Hart) - Mickey Hart;
Bez (Happy Mondays) - World Drumming;
Andrew Ridgeley (Wham) - Guitar;

I'm sure there are others so that I can get REALLY BITTER ALL OVER AGAIN. However, I think we can demonstrate our fairness by actually leaving Donna G. off on the grounds that she was actually doing something.

Linda McCartney? Jeanine Pettibone? 

mikes

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »

I thought Leeway was banging on the other odd drumthing. Including Linda and Donna on shared vocals - wouldn't these make a fair band for the European Song Contest?  :-X

Rob the Organ

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 10:33:19 PM »
We (literally "we" as it was you and I) have also taught the world that if you ever plan a wedding and need a spare part, Mickey Hart is your man; That Bez had a precursor in Donna Godchaux....

Ah Rob. An interesting concept has just entered my head.

I realise that with most people, concepts enter their heads as well. However, unlike me, they reject the useless ones.

Being a desperate artiste, I have to consider everything, just in case. And also because I can't tell. So with the irony presented by 'rejecting the useless ones', let's consider other spare part musicians who have neverthless had successful careers and NO I'M NOT BITTER. (heaves chest in and out for dramatic effect....)

I'm sure there are others so that I can get REALLY BITTER ALL OVER AGAIN. However, I think we can demonstrate our fairness by actually leaving Donna G. off on the grounds that she was actually doing something.

Linda McCartney? Jeanine Pettibone? 

To be fair, Steve Knight wasn't useless but just didn't get a look in. The Mellotron on "Don't Look Around" is worth a mention. However, as to whether he truly earned his keep or not, you could have a point. On these grounds, if Steve is unavailable I'm sure Chick Churchill could cover.

What about Tom McGuinness on guitar?  Must be a really good friend of Paul Jones to be tolerated repeatedly as he IS useless. He got away with it in Manfred Mann AND STILL DOES in the Blues Band (who I was once informed want about ?500 a man to play). Figure that!

The dancer from that awful eighties prog band IQ could be found a role, I am sure....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:38:48 PM by Rob the Organ »

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 10:44:28 PM »
To be fair, Steve Knight wasn't useless but just didn't get a look in. The Mellotron on "Don't Look Around" is worth a mention.

Ahhh, Rob thanks for reminding me....things to add to my you tube favourites.....Mountain: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3sDOBTJE4

Rob the Organ

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
Great QMS Winterland New Year 67/68 show on Wolfgangs Vault.
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/quicksilver-messenger-service-concert/372-5673.html

Haven't listened properly yet but the snarling guitar intro to Pride of Man is grrrrrrrreat 8)