Author Topic: Goodnight Mr Burrows  (Read 7556 times)

Mike Morgan

Goodnight Mr Burrows
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
Someone said good night to me as I was leaving work today and I grunted. They looked a bit surprised and I explained it was from the end of a tv show. Been trying to find it and got as far as Mr Burrows, but can't find a clip. I think it was from Cheers. Anyone remember? My reputation as a sad old twat with a memory for useless trivia is at risk here.

Colin Salter

Re: Goodnight Mr Burrows
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »
Not to be confused with "Goo'nigh', Jahn Boi". I think Mr Burrows is/was indeed the producer of Cheers. If I weren't so lazy I would look it up on t'internet.

Colin Salter

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »
Wikipedia concurs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Burrows - James Burrows has had his directing hand on the tiller of many classic comedies, although Cheers is the only one he's credited with co-creating.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:23:27 PM »
Thanjs Colin. That's me watching repeats - NO - surely not repeats on sky! - to see if I can get a link.

Barry Island

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »
And there was me thinking what depth the site had with references to William Burroughs. Guess the clue was in the spelling. Have to say Cheers was/is quality though.
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

Mike Morgan

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:14:14 PM »
I bought one of Williams books - Nova express and couldn't get on with at all.. Bought the dvd of Naked lunch and watched it a few times and still have no idea what iit's about. Love so many bands who were inspired by him though, particularly Steely Dan

Barry Island

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 07:19:53 PM »
If you watch the film version of On the Road he pops up as a character on that. His behaviour may go some way to explaining the impenetrability of his work. I tried several of his books also and struggled big time.
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

gmaleone

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 05:34:59 AM »
Hi,

I was trying to remember this also.

It was a James Burrows program but it was "Taxi" and the tag was "Goodnight Mr. Walters"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glbfHRcsh1I

Mike Morgan

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
Thanks for that. A fine first entry but don't expect many threads to stay so closely on topic :)

Tel

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »
Thanjs Colin. That's me watching repeats - NO - surely not repeats on sky! - to see if I can get a link.

Time to go off topic (Lol!)

The repeats of Cheers are on UK Gold, not Sky - BUT it does raise the question. Has satellite TV now taken on the generic term of Sky. A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine was talking about a documentary on "Sky" - which was in fact on Animal Planet - another non Sky (the company that is) channel.

So has Murdoch finally won and (like Hoover/Vacum Cleaner) has Sky now become more than just the broadcaster. We need to know!!!!

Mike Morgan

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »
I think you're right Tel.
Hadn't thought about it before your post, but now realise I speak exactly as you describe.

Rob W

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 06:53:39 PM »

Time to go off topic (Lol!)

The repeats of Cheers are on UK Gold, not Sky - BUT it does raise the question. Has satellite TV now taken on the generic term of Sky. A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine was talking about a documentary on "Sky" - which was in fact on Animal Planet - another non Sky (the company that is) channel.

So has Murdoch finally won and (like Hoover/Vacum Cleaner) has Sky now become more than just the broadcaster. We need to know!!!!

Not in my house it hasn't. No Sky, no BT, no whatever else there is.

But spookily, just 20 minutes or so ago, I did shout downstairs, "should I bring the hoover down".  It isn't a hoover!!

Mikey, can we now declare this thread has gone off topic?

I though would prefer to say like the others, it doesn't go off topic, it opens new conversations, but like the perfect MJ solo, it always gets back to the main point....eventually  :)

Mike Morgan

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 07:44:40 PM »
Rob, is that because you follow other intellectual pursuits or because you're a tight bugger ;)

As sure as the sun rises in the morning, we will go off topic.
Greater Liverpool have just gone one up against the Tottingham. Greater Liverpool is close to Greater Bury is it not? Did your boys pull back a late equaliser today or did they give one away?
Not being a tease there, but genuinely can't remember.

Rob W

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 12:12:16 AM »
Rob, is that because you follow other intellectual pursuits or because you're a tight bugger ;)

As sure as the sun rises in the morning, we will go off topic.
Greater Liverpool have just gone one up against the Tottingham. Greater Liverpool is close to Greater Bury is it not? Did your boys pull back a late equaliser today or did they give one away?
Not being a tease there, but genuinely can't remember.

Neither intellectual nor a tight bugger.  Just never had the urge....for satellite TV!!

Delighted Lpool and Spurs drew. I had them on my Predictor League as a draw, and with season end upon us. I'm close to winning the inter office competition whereby the others club together to buy the winner a football shirt. Trouble is I don't wear footy shirts at my age. And Burton Albion equalised I'm the 90th minute.
Didn't want to be rude and not reply. Too seriously off topic now. Shhh!!!   :)

Mike Morgan

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 01:14:56 AM »
I can give you details as to where you can get vintage West Ham shirts  :)