Author Topic: Deke's Funeral  (Read 3328 times)

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
Deke's Funeral
« on: February 10, 2017, 11:53:17 PM »
This message was posted on FB tonight.....

DEKE'S FUNERAL - ANNOUNCEMENT

Thank you all so, so much for your wonderful tributes and memories of Deke. I don't think he ever realised just how many lives he touched.

A Memorial Concert for Deke is being organised and I hope everyone will come along to say goodbye to him and celebrate his life on that day. Details will be announced in the following weeks.

We would love all those who would want to pay their respects to Deke to attend his funeral and, if I could hire our local Rugby stadium, I would.  Over the past week we have been inundated with well over a thousand messages and calls from truly well-meaning persons who wish to attend. However, due to limited space within the venue, this could be potentially disastrous and distressing for myself, Katy and Deke's closest long-term friends leading to some who are ill and some who are travelling far being excluded from the service.

Everyone is welcome to travel to the venue.However, Deke's funeral service will, by necessity, be private, the interior service restricted to family and closest friends.   

I wish it could be otherwise, I promise you, because I know how much he was loved by so many wonderful people and how much he loved everybody.  And this will be reflected in a  true celebration of Deke's life at the Memorial Concert.

Thank you all so very much. I hope Deke's legacy will carry on with you all. .

Deke was my love, my pal, my life, my world.  I miss him.

Much love & thanks, Mary, Katy & family
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Michael Heatley

Re: Deke's Funeral
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
DEKE’S FUNERAL

A short report for those of you who saved your respects for the tribute show. It was a privilege to represent you all.

We arrived at the Crematorium to find a queue already formed. Pugwash was at the front, illuminating proceedings with his usual smile from behind his walking frame.

It may have been a rock’n’roll funeral, but everyone was in their Sunday best. We could have done with name badges, saying ‘I am/was So and So’; many faces rang bells. Those recognised included Breezy, Steve Elsdon, Josh, James, Dai Rees, Ray Jones and half of Alkatraz (Will, sadly, wasn’t well enough to attend)… Black suits, grey hair (optional), but no sombre mood.

Both downstairs (70-ish) and upstairs (40) of the Crematorium were crammed; those not on Roger Hoodless’ guest list watched from an ante room. The unseen person playing the music was clearly not expecting ‘Razorblade & Rattlesnake’, which jolted everyone upright as it blasted out at near live performance volume. It was faded as Deke made his entrance, borne by the Son of Man boys.

George read some of Deke’s words from The Twang Dynasty; I append them below. Then the humanist celebrant recounted his life in brief. It was probably the first time anyone has said ‘fuck’ in such a setting, but to be fair he was only quoting Deke. The meeting with Mary at a Corncrackers reunion was also recounted; a bittersweet moment.

The allotted half an hour flew by. We meditated, as instructed, to Elvis’ ‘Trying To Get To You’ and exited to ‘A Hard Way To Live’, Taff quietly placing a plectrum on the coffin as a personal farewell.

The wake at the tennis club was, again, full of familiar faces; if only I could put names to all of them. Jenny Marshall, the Eichler family (sans John, sadly unable to travel), Andy Zammit from Deke’s record label, Mike Kennedy, Terry and Peter Williams; apologies to those missed out.

Plenty of positivity bubbled to the surface, too. Deke’s daughter Kate had her hands full chasing speedy toddler Edie round the room (Deke had nicknamed her “the terrorist”), while a repeating slide show – organised by Mary, as was the event – showed pictures from happier times that inspired many reminiscences. Martin was there, and an embrace was witnessed between him and George. Dare we hope?

Finally, as everything had dwindled to a handful of hardy survivors and Mary was preparing to leave, in walked Nik Turner – sax under arm, ready and willing to start a jam session. Deke would have muttered ‘Perfect timing’ and grinned that wry grin…

DEKE’S WORDS AS READ BY GEORGE

The best thing you can hope for in this life is to be remembered. Gone but not forgotten. But remembered for what? I wouldn’t like to be remembered as a mass murderer, or a Conservative, or an Old Etonian, or an investment banker, or a minister of the church, or a royalist, or a ballroom dancer, but I could live with being remembered as an artistic Titan who enriched the culture of his day and became, for time immemorial, an inspiration to those who would seek to explore the outer limits of the sounded note and the written word.

Guitar-playing, it almost goes without saying, is an essentially absurd preoccupation, but so is Life. Guitar-playing is a fruitless search for meaning in a meaningless universe, but, once again, so is Life. Guitar-playing, beyond all reasonable doubt, is a futile attempt to establish order amid prevailing confusion, but, one more time, so is Life. Life is thrust upon us, without prior consultation, by time and circumstance and we’re stuck with it.

I’m not the best guitarist who’s ever picked up a plectrum, but, looking on the bright side, nor am I the worst. I tried to be a Scotty Moore, a Frank Zappa, a Jimi Hendrix, but I turned out to be a Deke Leonard, something I have to live with every single day of my life.

The guitar has been, still is, and always will be, the most important inanimate object in my life, right up there with beds, books, reading-glasses, teabags, tobacco and my drug-box. But the guitar is a switchback ride. It is a source of both astral euphoria and profound depression; delight and disappointment; pride and frustration; pleasure and pain. Above all, it is the true mirror to the soul.

Donations in memory of Deke may be made to a cause close to his heart:

The Human Appeal Gaza Emergency Fund
humanappeal.org.uk

Michael Heatley

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »
Can't believe I didn't mention Tweeky, who was in great form... Sorry pal!

Dave Bardsley

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
Thanks Michael.  Pleased to read about Martin and George meeting up - life must move on.

Barry Island

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 02:19:52 AM »
Thanks MICHAEL. We had a family gathering this weekend when many words were exchanged re Deke and his part he played in our lives. A big part of our and so many other lives. Loved the guy. Respect from all in the Donaldson Clan. Safe journey Deke. Hope we meet on the other side!
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:32:15 PM »
Thanks, Michael.
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Jon M

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »
That embrace, George and Martin, quite something.
One has just been involved in producing a great cd, just released, in a band with no permanent bass player.
 The other?