Author Topic: Big Big Train  (Read 2239 times)

Jon M

Big Big Train
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
Any views on this prog outfit?
I started listening a couple of years ago when Dave Gregory, guitarist of XTC, joined and i was impressed but then it is the only modern prog that I listen to..   

j

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
Re: Big Big Train
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:00:17 PM »
An outstanding band.  I got into them via the Gregory connection and have since bought all the back catalogue.  No musical histrionics, but great songs played superbly.
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Oakers

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
I agree with Allan that BBT are instrumentally top notch. They're a great band at the 'folk' end of the prog' spectrum. Would love to see them live but frustratingly live shows seem to be few and far apart - and all too often in London! My only gripe - and admittedly this is a very personal and subjective thing - is that I find the lyrics and delivery of them all just a bit too earnest. All that lamenting of our industrial heritage and times when honest folk grafted long hours building ships and railways etc., is all very well...but quickly gets irritating I find. Shame this is the only prog' you're listening to Jon. There's tons of brilliant stuff out there. Suggest you try Lifesigns - probably a logical progression from BBT!

Jon M

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:22:52 PM »
i take your point about honest toil and the poor quality of the lyrics, earnest nursery rhymes, so i listen to the music and wait for the moment when Dave G comes in. as for modern prog i shall give Lifesigns a go, thanks for the recommendation.

jonathan

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »
My views are similar to Allan and Oakers, technically and musically good, lyrically a little too self-satisfied. Worth a listen, but I lament the absence of a decent groove, even if it is in 13/8.
Boldly going.......