Author Topic: King Crimson  (Read 10808 times)

Mike Cross

• BSFA, Cipollina & Kurihara, Hull SF Group
Re: King Crimson
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 01:44:52 AM »
Rob, give Mike a break ; he has just owned up to going from Kenneth Williams to King Crimson in a single bound !
Also, Man are in the post, via John Peel, if you look hard enough.

Yes I did look hard enough, which is surprising as I do have the attention span of a gnat, which is probably being unfair to the gnat. I want to know what was the lightbulb moment that got Mike to think "I know what, I'm going to buy a Man album", and what was that album.

I'm nosey like that.. ;D

I wish I could say.... must have been tracks from Revelation, and/or 2 Oz played by John Peel. Did they do any sessions for him around then?

Someone advertised a 2nd hand 2 Oz of Plastic on the Uni Union noticeboard, & we went round to his room to complete the deal. It was winter, & he had one of those boxy metal heaters, which was one of v few flat clear surfaces in the room, so one of us (probably me) put the LP on the top of it. We soon realised this was not a good idea, as the heater was on, so i grabbed the LP!  Went home, put it on the record player, & discovered it pretty much too warped to play!

Christmas '71 I had a holiday job in the PO sorting Office, & I remember buying Do You Like It Here No on the way home from that one day. I bought a secondhand Man later (maybe from Cob Records mail order, having also bought another LP called 'Man' from them that was by an American band of the same name!), and a new Revelation sometime later.

Mike Cross

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 01:49:03 AM »
I'm sure you're all dying to know....

The Kenneth Williams album was 'On Pleasure Bent' - https://www.discogs.com/Kenneth-Williams-On-Pleasure-Bent/master/813330, and I also had a Rambling Syd Rumpo EP, probably this one (https://www.discogs.com/Kenneth-Williams-Rambling-Syd-Rumpo-In-Concert/release/2255920) with such memorable tracks as:

Song Of The Bogle Clencher, Sussex Whirdling Song, Pewter Wogglers Bangling Song, The Drunken Nurker, Runcorn Splod Cobblers Song, and The Terrible Tale Of The Somerset Nog

:-[ :-[

Rob W

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 04:22:26 AM »
Blimey, sorry I asked now!

Only joking. Enjoyed all that. I remember the Cob Records advert in Record Collector. In 1990/1, before I knew they'd reformed,  I'd look through the classifieds to see any Man records for sale.

And a great mention of warped records. We could have a thread, What is the most warped record you own? In fact, I think I'll do just that   :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:24:34 AM by Rob W »

Barry Island

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 08:10:40 PM »
Got my wife her Christmas present today. Last Crimson gig on their 50th Anniversary Tour at The Albert Hall. Thought it rude to send her on her own so I got myself one as well. Had to wait until 9.00 a.m. when tickets went on sale - frantically checked the capacity of the hall when I saw I was number 1847 in the queue - half an hour later after watching the countdown I got my tickets and was late for work. Bloody extortionate as well - Fripp says on the greeting to their Website that is full of good ways of extracting your hard earned cash. Keeps Toyah in frocks I suppose but unfortunately not off the stage. Man bring out the mellow in me King Crimson the masochist!
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

Tel

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »
I'm sure you're all dying to know....

The Kenneth Williams album was 'On Pleasure Bent' - https://www.discogs.com/Kenneth-Williams-On-Pleasure-Bent/master/813330, and I also had a Rambling Syd Rumpo EP, probably this one (https://www.discogs.com/Kenneth-Williams-Rambling-Syd-Rumpo-In-Concert/release/2255920) with such memorable tracks as:

Song Of The Bogle Clencher, Sussex Whirdling Song, Pewter Wogglers Bangling Song, The Drunken Nurker, Runcorn Splod Cobblers Song, and The Terrible Tale Of The Somerset Nog

:-[ :-[

When I was a clencher's bogleman in famous Lincoln town
I often clenched my bogling fork for less than half-a-crown
And I would joggle and nurk, my boys, as I shall quickly tell
Oh, 'tis my delight on a shiny night, on a foggy night as well.

A classic!

Michael Heatley

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »
Switch Lincoln to Wimborne and we are back on topic ;D

Jon M

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »
Green grow my nadgers oh!
Who knows where  Kenneth williams got his love of folks songs and how he combined it with his love of smut without the censors noticing.
All of it more interesting than anything the fairports did once they went trad.

Mike Cross

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 10:22:28 PM »
Green grow my nadgers oh!
Who knows where  Kenneth williams got his love of folks songs and how he combined it with his love of smut without the censors noticing.
All of it more interesting than anything the fairports did once they went trad.

According to Wikipedia, "Round the Horne scriptwriters Barry Took and Marty Feldman... wrote the majority of the songs' lyrics, based upon traditional folk songs"

Three crucial folk songs by Syd:

The Song Of The Bogle Clencher
Sussex Whirdling Song
Pewter Wogglers Bangling Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=013O6kAa3Yg
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:24:27 PM by Mike Cross »

Barry Island

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 01:14:53 AM »
You’ll get me started on Jake Thackeray at this rate.
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

Rob W

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »
You’ll get me started on Jake Thackeray at this rate.

Bantom Cock, anybody?

Barry Island

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 10:52:23 PM »
Those were the days!

Michael Heatley

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 12:50:52 AM »
Thank goodness, I thought Rob had silenced the board....😉

Barry Island

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 12:08:46 AM »
Quieter than the home crowd at Bury .....allegedly! New Manager to get them going!

Rob W

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 12:39:14 AM »
Quieter than the home crowd at Bury .....allegedly! New Manager to get them going!

We make a reasonable noise at Gigg. Considering there's so few of us  ;D

It's a new owner we have, not manager. Nobody saw that coming. A sale from one property developer (who has increased our liabilities from £1m when he took over to £8m, Club losing £50k per week, numerous CCJ's, a few Winding Up Petitions, and taking out high interest loans from dodgy companies to pay off previous high interest loans) to another Property Developer pal of his. I'm not happy with this at all. Tick tock...

Barry Island

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 08:25:44 PM »
Only joshing Rob. Down at Torquay we have had new owners relatively recently. Much like the German with a phobia about sausages we feared the wurst. TBF they have been decent, revived the Academy, kept the squad full time and brought in Gary Johnson. Top of the table now but it is only National League South but after five or six seasons of misery we are lot happier. Hope things go well for your team.