Author Topic: King Crimson  (Read 9512 times)

Rob W

Re: King Crimson
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 08:42:54 PM »
Yes I know, and off course much respect keeping the faith.

Ironic day for me in that Shakers played at Oldham which is now my nearest ground, almost walking distance, and we're here in Wales about to leave the house to watch Glas.

Barry Island

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 10:02:00 PM »
All good options Rob! Glas will be good believe me! Enjoy!
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

Rob W

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2018, 10:29:33 PM »
All good options Rob! Glas will be good believe me! Enjoy!

Baz, thanks for the recommendation. I did believe you. Jeez, I've been banging on about Glas ever since Stevey and Dawn Elsdon took me 'n' Lesley to see them one Sunday afternoon in August 2016.
Last night saw the band at a pub in Chepstow. In my too many years, I've seen gigs at football stadia, major arena's, small venues and pubs. Audience size from 5 to 20k. Last night, though a pub, genuinely goes down as ine of the best gigs I've ever attended. Glas absolutely stole the show. Most in the pub wouldn't have gone to see the band. And the way the room was laid out, I feared the worst. By their second set, the packed pub was stomping. I was gobsmacked. They are so talented anyway, but last night they went to another level. And their encore of Bananas was just incredible. No way could that have been one guitar, one bass, one drums. But it was.
I believe their always choca full diary is now spreading well out of South Wales and a few gigs to be held as far north as Yorkshire, and a new album contract in the offing. So well deserved.
If anybody reading this still hasn't seen them, as Barry said, "Glas will be good, believe me" Go and see them!

Dave Bardsley

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
Sounds like you got the full Glas.  Sadly they were only allowed 45 mins at the 100 Club (Glas half full) but were good value for that.  I hope the exposure does them some good as I doubt it proved economically rewarding.  Nice that they brought a bus load of supporters up with them.

Michael Heatley

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
Its a tough call - is Big in S Wales enough for James and pals?

How do you make the break? Answers on a postcard...

Mike Cross

• BSFA, Cipollina & Kurihara, Hull SF Group
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 01:44:03 AM »
I caught part of a Paco Rabane perfume ad on the TV earlier.... it had the title phrase from Schizoid Man in it  :o :o

Mike Cross

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 01:55:46 AM »
I caught part of a Paco Rabane perfume ad on the TV earlier.... it had the title phrase from Schizoid Man in it  :o :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDu0fTx_UnI

Michael Heatley

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »
That messed with my head! As my kids would say, WTF?

Tel

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »
I haven't checked it out but I believe 21st Century Schizoid Man is sampled in the Kanye West track "Power" and that is what is used in the Advert for the Paco Rabanne products - (there are two - Invictus and Olympian)

Many a musician has often said they would never let there music be used for "Commercial" purposes but that game changed when Layla was used by a car manufacturer in the 1990's and Clapton got 1500 every time it was used.

I think it is safe to assume that somebody with the international selling power world wide of Kanye West and the subsequent financial return for Fripp has probably gone some way to keeping the King Crimson project afloat.

Tel  ::)

Rob W

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »
I haven't got round to my response to Michael's post #34, mut part of my reply has been covered by Tel, above. So many bands, indeed pro sports players, and yep, politicians as well, start off all full of idealism, but as soon as reasonable sums of money become involved, the idealism is soon forgotten.

Michael Heatley

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 10:44:38 PM »
Sampling has been as harmful to music as home taping!

Tel

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »
I haven't got round to my response to Michael's post #34, mut part of my reply has been covered by Tel, above. So many bands, indeed pro sports players, and yep, politicians as well, start off all full of idealism, but as soon as reasonable sums of money become involved, the idealism is soon forgotten.

Politicians influenced by money - never!

It's a difficult one as far as Music is concerned. Being sampled can make a lot of money for the musician/artist who is sampled, and it can open doors. I also suspect not many of the people who bout the Kanye West track had ever heard of king Crimson let alone The Court Of The Crimson King and 21st CSM. But if it being used encourages the listener to look back then it is no bad thing.

To me the thing that is harming music is the rise of the "Producer". I don't recall George Martin ever being credited on a Beatles composition but every producer now insists on a co writing credit for every thing they do - especially the Scandinavian's who have taken over just about everything.

There are some very talented Singer/Songwriters whose songs are being destroyed by the modern day "Producer".

Tel

Barry Island

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 11:24:59 PM »
Shame about the ads but Fripp does like a bob or two and when he and Toyah pop their clogs it all goes to a good cause. Anyway re Schizoid Man - can you remember where you were the first time you heard it? I was at a mates house on a sunny Saturday morning, the windows were open and curtains were blowing in the wind. Never looked back.
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

Dave Bardsley

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
Anyway re Schizoid Man - can you remember where you were the first time you heard it?

Hyde Park, 1969.  Rolling Stones free concert.  Definitely stole the show...

Mike Cross

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 03:25:50 PM »
From https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/king-crimson-announce-50th-anniversary-tour-documentary-box-sets-108900

King Crimson announce 50th anniversary tour, documentary, box sets
Including expanded edition of In The Court Of The Crimson King

50 years ago this week, King Crimson had their first rehearsal in the basement of a cafe on Londons Fulham Palace Road. To mark this occasion and the release of their Top 5 album In The Court Of The Crimson King later in 1969 the band have announced a glut of activity, including a 50-date world tour.

The full itinerary is still coming together, but you can view the list of dates announced so far here. It includes three nights at Londons Royal Albert Hall in June.

In February theyll release King Crimson 197274 the second boxed set of 6LPs, from Larks Tongues In Aspic to the expanded USA, on 200 gram vinyl.

That will be followed in May by Heaven And Earth a multi-disc CD/DVD-a/Blu-Ray set covering the period from the late 1990s2008, completing the availability of all King Crimson studio albums in 5.1 multi-channel audio.

And to coincide with the anniversary of King Crimsons debut album in October, therell be a limited edition expanded boxed set of In The Court Of The Crimson King including all the live recordings, the expanded multitrack 1969 recording sessions, as well as a new 5.1 remix of the album and a coffee table book.

Starting this week, King Crimson will also be digitally releasing 50 rare or unusual tracks from the archives, along with commentary from King Crimson manager and producer David Singleton. Download the first track, a radio edit of 21st Century Schizoid Man, here.

Finally, a documentary on the band called Cosmic F*Kc, directed by Toby Amies, will be released late in 2019 along with accompanying soundtrack. For full details of all these releases and more! visit King Crimsons official site.

Tour dates: https://www.dgmlive.com/tours?liveshow=on

21st CSM Radio Edit: https://www.dgmlive.com/albums/kc-50-1-21st-century-schizoid-man

KC Site: https://www.dgmlive.com/news/King%20Crimson%20-%20Celebrating%2050%20years

Will I be able to resist buying yet another version of In the Court of the Crimson King? I arguably have 'too many' already  ::)