Author Topic: Haha! Been away so long!  (Read 1844 times)

Barry Island

Haha! Been away so long!
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:48:57 AM »
Brexit etc! So Live at The Coal Exchange Best vid of all?
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
Re: Haha! Been away so long!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:37:08 AM »
Video wise I prefer the OGWT versions of 'Fight' and 'Road' even though there's only 2 tracks! 'Coal Exchange' is still a good DVD though.

Rob W

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
I had, shall we say, a rather interesting conversation with Martin Ace at the Witchwood Ashton Under Lyne, fairly soon after the Coal Exchange gig, arguing the point why the video should be made available. I think this was an Effigy video wasn't it? My favourite bit of the video is seeing how many faces I recognise at the end.

I'd give my right b*ll*ck (as Deke would say) to have the Phil/Will/Tweke band on video. Proper gig, not as keen on the OGWT bit as NN is. Sorry Nick

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
That's alright Rob! The Coal Exchange Vid was organised by Steve Elsdon, not Effigy.

Rob W

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 09:32:39 PM »
Was it? At my age, memory is rubbish, and I did wonder when posting, if it was an Effigy vid.

I'm well aware of Stevey Elsdon's input, and I'm the proud owner of one of his Man at the Coal Exchange t-shirts, but I'm sure Gavin and crew filmed it. Had a few conversations with Gav about it! Well, not so much conversations, more like Gavin monologues (ie rants). "Too much red" - my *rse!!

Tel

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 07:41:09 AM »
Steve did the eventual publication and distribution years after the gig.

It's a lovely memoir for those of us who were there on the night and it holds a special place for me.
Who can forget leaving the Coal Exchange and trying to get a Taxi back to the Hotel at about 2:30am! Rob should as well as Allan Heron and the Biggerstaffs.

Was this the one with Andy Fairweather-Lowe and a very pissed Morty from Racing Cars staggering about on stage trying to join in with Gin House Blues?

Tel

Rob W

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 03:06:37 PM »
Tel, I don't remember that taxi journey! I recall vividly our walk back to the hotel in Swansea, 1999 though.

I have many memories of the gigs seen in Wales, and many stories to tell. That 1999 Swansea gig spawns 2 great stories ranging from that cassette recording where our very first conversations meeting up in the pub were scrubbed by my brother (sic) to my first encounter with an Oystermouth Rd B&B landlady!
One of the best stories though emanates from the Coal Exchange gig. Prior to the gig, detoured to Rockfield Studio. In brief, having a nose around the courtyard, scruffy bloke appears asks what I'm doing. Told him here for the Man gig, he says I'll let you in to have a look. Fumbles with a wad of keys. Can't find the key. He's struggling. I tell him not to bother. Finally finds the right key, lets me in, he can't find the light switch, pitch black. I'm wondering who is this. I again say don't bother. Finally there's light, we sit down, he tells me the place is on its knees, no demand for recording studios anymore, it's all instant Pop Factor stuff. This place is dead. I say to him, "don't let Kingsley Ward here you say that" He said "I AM KINGSLEY WARD!!!". I went on my knees and bowed to him. One of the great moments in my life.

In other news, the mystery of who was it having a rant about Mr Ace and the video. Thank you to the lurker who did some digging for me. Very much appreciated  :)

Tel

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 06:21:36 AM »
Tel, I don't remember that taxi journey! I recall vividly our walk back to the hotel in Swansea, 1999 though.

I have many memories of the gigs seen in Wales, and many stories to tell. That 1999 Swansea gig spawns 2 great stories ranging from that cassette recording where our very first conversations meeting up in the pub were scrubbed by my brother (sic) to my first encounter with an Oystermouth Rd B&B landlady!
One of the best stories though emanates from the Coal Exchange gig. Prior to the gig, detoured to Rockfield Studio. In brief, having a nose around the courtyard, scruffy bloke appears asks what I'm doing. Told him here for the Man gig, he says I'll let you in to have a look. Fumbles with a wad of keys. Can't find the key. He's struggling. I tell him not to bother. Finally finds the right key, lets me in, he can't find the light switch, pitch black. I'm wondering who is this. I again say don't bother. Finally there's light, we sit down, he tells me the place is on its knees, no demand for recording studios anymore, it's all instant Pop Factor stuff. This place is dead. I say to him, "don't let Kingsley Ward here you say that" He said "I AM KINGSLEY WARD!!!". I went on my knees and bowed to him. One of the great moments in my life.

In other news, the mystery of who was it having a rant about Mr Ace and the video. Thank you to the lurker who did some digging for me. Very much appreciated  :)

If my memory serves me correctly it was very late. As shown on the DVD it was the whole of the ES album as well as the usual run of favourites. I have just checked my review over on the Archive. This wasn't the gig with Racing Cars and AFL but there were two support acts - Rock Steady Eddie and a blues band whose name I didn't get. Plus I noted that Man finally left the stage at 1:15am.

As I recall we left the Coal Exchange and started to walk toward the City Centre but we lacked one thing, somebody who knew the way. Rob Davies, our token "Welshman in London" sorry Rob) whether he was in this entourage I cannot recall. I do remember there were a few of us and we needed to eventually flag down two cabs to get back to the Hotel. And I remember you being there Rob because at some point I had jokingly referred to you as a Bastard and you kept going on about it  :D

However there are several memories of 1999 Railway Mans Club. The raffle being held between the end of the main gig and before the encore. but the weather as we walked along Oystermouth Road. There wind and rain coming off the Bristol Channel was horrendous and we soaked and frozen by the time we made the short journey to the B&B. I say in my review that the weather didn't get us down but it was also unforgettable.

The gig with Racing Cars and AFL was the christmas gig from 2000, and Morty having attempted to invade AFL's slot, he then attempted to join Man during C'Mon. He was greeted by Martin suggesting he should "Foxtrot Oscar"!

Dec 1999 to Dec 2000 was a good 12 Months for Man gigs.  :)

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 09:59:29 PM »
I remember that walk (which is a minor miracle given the amount of drink consumed). We were heading in the right direction, but the legs were definitely at risk of going in different directions.

I'm also about 99.9999999% certain that Gavin and chums were not invloved in the filming of this.

Supremely glad to have the DVD now, and not just to see me with some ridiculous Dad dancing moves. Only quibble would be that I'd have preferred to have it as they played on the night, rather than seperating out the ES tracks from the classics.

They played the Coal Exchange again for the Christmas gig which is where the AFL and Morty stuff happened. That was the night we drove down to Cardiff, saw the gig, and then drove straight back up after depositing Barry Island at the motorway junction. Utter madness.
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Rob W

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 03:50:25 AM »
Yes, ascertained it wasn't the Effigy crew who filmed this. Though by the proverbial hook or crook, I'll unravel my personal mystery as it's bugging me no end. Favourite though is I'm confusing a Stevey rant for Gavin, but then again...

Agree with Allan about the separation of the songs. I dug out my DVD of the gig. I see I also have a sampler DVD of the gig, so when possible, I'm going to watch that, maybe it's in normal order, though not all the performance will be on I presume.

Cannot recall at all the walk back. Probably as well because I can't recall Tel calling me a b*st*rd. Tel, you won't have been the first...or the last  ;D

I

Nigelbb

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »
Is this DVD still available anywhere?

I tried ordering from Amazon Marketplace seller a month ago but it never arrived & Amazon tell me if it's not marked as 'Despatched' in the next couple of days the order will be cancelled https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01N0D9S3B

Olly Goodwin

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 12:14:34 PM »
Responding to Nigelbb re. availability of the Coal' DVD - Dawn and Steve passed their stock to Mary, don't know if she has any left but you could contact her via the Twang Dynasty Facebook page. Its gold to me, the last great high point of the Leonard / Jones era - and with Phil Ryan - ( the all too brief second Jones / Ryan / Leonard era)  showcasing what I now love as a great album.