Author Topic: RIP Julie Felix  (Read 133 times)

Tel

RIP Julie Felix
« on: March 25, 2020, 04:11:54 AM »
With everything else going on this slipped under my radar.

Julie Felix passed away a couple of days ago. Although she is remembered for a couple of hits in the 1970's, including a cover of Simon & Garfunkel's El Condor Pasa, this is not really representative. She was definitely a radical, protest singer who came to fame in the 1960's with a residency on The Frost Report. Although American born, Julie was resident here in England, living (and still performing into her 80's) in and around Chorleywood, Hertfordshire.

Her 1966 album, Changes is a true hidden gem which I will dig out and give a spin in her memory.  :(

Rob W

Re: RIP Julie Felix
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 03:06:49 PM »
Hi Tel, hope you're looking after yourself.

I remember watching her tv programme, I think on a Saturday night. Would have been aged 10, if that. Think I had a bit of a crush on her. The pre cursor to the wonderful Sally Carr.

I'm now aware she was a bit of a radical, protest singer, but I certainly wasn't at the time.

Sad news.

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 07:42:37 PM »
I had the privilege of regularly delivering milk to Julie in my early teens, as one of the lads that helped our milkie out at weekends and during school holidays. She was a delight, and always happy to talk, especially when she knew I was beginning to play the guitar. She lived in a lovely little cottage too, tucked away out of sight if you didn't know where to look.
Boldly going.......

Tel

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 07:57:44 PM »
Hi Tel, hope you're looking after yourself.

I remember watching her tv programme, I think on a Saturday night. Would have been aged 10, if that. Think I had a bit of a crush on her. The pre cursor to the wonderful Sally Carr.

I'm now aware she was a bit of a radical, protest singer, but I certainly wasn't at the time.

Sad news.

Thanks Rob - Like (almost) everybody else I'm tucked up indoors and spend most of my time swearing at Boris or Trump via the TV screen. My Sarcoid definitely limits my wanderings and puts me in a risk group so I have to be extra careful.

Julie did have a series in the late 60's or early 70's which if I recall was on BBC2, monday nights at 8pm. She toned down the radical songs for that, concentrating more on traditional folk. But when first came into the public attention it was on The Frost Report. I also found an EP (remember them) of 4 songs from The Frost Report. She is definitely a guilty pleasure.

(Note to self - there was a life before CD's, Downloads - with a load sitting on my shelves and if I get some time I should go through them "get some time??" - Lol)