Author Topic: John McKenzie  (Read 434 times)

Arjayay

John McKenzie
« on: May 10, 2020, 02:28:55 PM »
Someone has just added to the Wikipedia page about John McKenzie that he died today, but there is no reference to support this claim
I can't find anything with a Google search and some people vandalize articles like this "for fun"- does anyone have any verifiable information?

joan

• Terry Williams and Man pages
Re: John McKenzie
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 04:03:05 PM »
yes, he died on friday I think
Lots of messages in Facebook already  :'(

Tel

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 04:06:11 PM »
yes, he died on friday I think
Lots of messages in Facebook already  :'(

Joan - do you have a link as the Wiki page was updated by a Bot.

joan

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 04:21:21 PM »

Tel

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 04:59:08 PM »
try this
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435165230102659

Thanks. Seems definite then. Only Terry survives from the Welsh Connection line up.  :(

Olly Goodwin

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 07:21:53 PM »
So sad to learn today of the death of John Michael Mckenzie. Always my favourite Man bassist, and a lovely chap. Was thinking of him just today as I read my new e-book, Deke Speaks. Also recently, as he "liked" my post about one of my all time favourite gigs seeing him with Man at Croydon's Fairfield Halls. I had also been meaning to reply to Mick St.Michael's recent post " Man had three great musos, and one great songwriter and writer in Deke" .No - Michael- four great musos; John Michael McKenzie was a great bassist, after Man he played with many greats and I came across him in the 90s in Tony O'Malley's and Neil Hubbard's band (ex Kokomo) at the 606 Club in Chelsea. - They were so tight. You don't get to play with those guys unless you are one of the best, and John was. Terry has repeated that John's funky playing changed Terry's style. No greater praise than that ! Was glad to get the opportunity to chat with John on a few occasions over the years, most recently at Phil Ryan's memorial. Always quiet and self effacing. George had coaxed John to join Son of Man for the 50th anniversary show at the Dagenham Roundhouse, thank you George, but illness prevented him, which was a great sadness. We've been deprived of another great member of the Man family tree, now savagely pruned.

Arjayay

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »
I first came across John with "The Globs" - the Global Village Trucking Company, in about 1973 - they were always appearing in outer East London - possibly because it was a quick trip back to their commune in Suffolk
There have been 2 TV documentaries about the Globs - but in those pre internet days we didn't know the keyboard player James Lascelles was "The Hon." and 20th in line to the British throne, nor that the drummer, Simon Stewart-Richardson, was and still is, a baronet - they just played great music
I spoke to John for a few minutes at a Man gig at Southend (I think) and was struck by his easy going nature, and interest in what the fans thought about the way the band's music was evolving
As many here will know, he had had cancer, at least twice, and, to quote form his "Just giving" page had played with :-  David Bowie, Tina Turner, Bob Dylan, The Pretenders, Eurythmics, Seal, Dr John, Renato Zero, Tom Scott, Kajagoogoo, Bonnie Tyler, Morrisey Mullen, Jim Diamond, Shakira

Brian

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 01:06:28 AM »
A lasting memory for me was seeing John McKenzie with Man up close and personal at the Savoy Tivoli, in what turned out to be one of their last ever US appearances.  He just looked so cool up on stage. 

Spinning Welsh Connection today…

Campbell

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
So,sadly another one gone.
I only got to see John performing with Man once which was on their tour(All's well that ends well tour).
A wonderful bass player.
As someone else commented,there is only Terry still surving from that line up.

Campbell

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 09:20:14 PM »

Rob W

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 11:04:44 PM »
Seen a lengthy thread on the Steve Hillage site including a great clip of John.

happytrails

• One of many Tragic Creatures who loves his bananas
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »
He's in the line up here ...remember these programmes well.
https://youtu.be/MExLFl2g688

joan

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »
What a bass player he was! improvising, playing whatever he wanted, zero fails, wow !

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 08:55:47 AM »
John was a thoroughly nice chap and fantastic bass player. He was so pleased to have joined Man, and told me he felt it was mainly Deke who pushed for his inclusion. It was his biggest gig so far at the time, and later went on to play with Steve Hillage. After that he played with many artists as Arjay mentions. RIP.

Arjayay

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 03:06:24 PM »
Obituary of John, by Pete Brown, in todays Grauniad  https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/30/john-mckenzie-obituary