Author Topic: Man Bootlegs  (Read 1310 times)

AndyB

Man Bootlegs
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »
Hello all,

A few years ago (by reckoning anyway) Man used to allow bootlegs to be shared via Dime .. I know there is an earlier posting on this subject, but for me it leaves the subject somewhat open ended.

So, I understand that Dime (presumably under instruction from the Man band) have added Man to the list of artists not allowing their shows to be shared via Dime.  That's a bloody shame, but there we are ..

My question is this .. is there another torrent site that is allowed to share Man bootlegs and in a "lossless" format ??

Campbell

Re: Man Bootlegs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 10:08:30 PM »
I think it was Martin who objected to Man content on Dime and so it got removed.If I was a member of the band ,I would have done the same thing.Since the reform of the band in the early 80s ,there have been loads of live albums,(some very good) released and the band counted on sales of live albums just to keep going.
The legendary Grateful Dead didn't have a problem with bootlegs,but there again Bob Weir has supposedly $60 million sitting in the bank.
The only Man bootleg I am really familiar with is the Cheltenham gig from 1997 which has been mentioned a lot on this board.
I am not familiar with any site with Man bootlegs on.

Rob W

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:54:24 PM »
Not listened to 'sugarmegs' for a long while, but a fabulous site with loads of Man gigs and other bands as well. Give it a go. Well worth it

Nigelbb

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 08:40:38 AM »
You could argue that Bob Weir has $60 million in part because the Dead were happy for their gigs to be recorded thus building fan support long before social media was a thing. Their repertoire was immense & they played a different set every night so live tapes are endlessly fascinating & rewarding. Most of their gigs dating back to 1965 are available on the Internet Archive https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

AndyB

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »
Not listened to 'sugarmegs' for a long while, but a fabulous site with loads of Man gigs and other bands as well. Give it a go. Well worth it

Thanks.  I had inadvertently happened upon "Sugarmegs" a while back, so aware of its content and the option to download content from the site.  I've played most if not all of the Man boots on there and several are very listenable and of course, very enjoyable.

Campbell

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 01:12:13 PM »
You could argue that Bob Weir has $60 million in part because the Dead were happy for their gigs to be recorded thus building fan support long before social media was a thing. Their repertoire was immense & they played a different set every night so live tapes are endlessly fascinating & rewarding. Most of their gigs dating back to 1965 are available on the Internet Archive https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

I would agree.The only thing that bugs me....back in 2000-so we are talking 20 years ago,I went to see Man at the Canterbury Fayre festival .Beautiful location,good weather.The manband was ok.I recall Mr Heatley was there ,Gina was there.The volume was low--a bit difficult to hear-not necessarily the band's fault.
So,the next year I returned.Hawkwind were headlining.I recall looking at some of the stalls and low and behold there were cassettes of the Man 2000 performance on sale.No artwork just a TDK cassette  of the performance. 3 pounds a pop,so the band touch nothing.Not official.People were buying the cassettes.

Rob W

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »
To play devils advocate, there is a counter argument to bootlegs. That is they can give publicity and create legit sales which otherwise wouldn't be there.
If we take Canterbury for example, those purchasing the man cassette. As a result of buying that cassette, would they then not purchase a legit Man release they would have otherwise? I doubt it. They'd either be committed Man Fans (hate that phrase), or in my opinion, most likely, they either saw that Man set, thought I was there, I'll buy that, or they'd have purchased it out of curiousity. Either way, purchasing that cassette just may get them to seek out purchasing a legit release, thus providing the band with money they otherwise wouldn't have received.
In my tiny world, I do loads of free stuff which often results in fee paying work. It's the same thing. It's all about getting in front of people. There were plenty of discussions on here when Martin pulled Dime. Man needed Dime more than Dime needed Man. In my opinion 🙂
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:52:49 PM by Rob W »

Nigelbb

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:52:51 AM »
Bootlegs were only ever desirable because the performances were unavailable legitimately. The Dead completely cut the ground out from beneath the feet of commercial bootleggers by encouraging tapers. Why buy a recording when you can trade a tape with another fan for free & have a choice of many hundreds of shows? As I mentioned previously the Dead are probably a special case with their vast repertoire & different set every night.

George Jones

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 04:54:48 PM »
I'd rather the DIME stuff than all of those horrific cd releases we've had over the past two years.