Author Topic: Live at the Keystone  (Read 438 times)

AndyB

Live at the Keystone
« on: May 31, 2020, 05:45:05 PM »
Hello Forum,

Might be being a bit picky, but I'm curious.
I have a copy of "Slow Motion" on CD .. it's the current 2 CD version which includes a number of previously released live tracks which according to the CD cover at least, were recorded at the Keystone in April 1975.
But according to the Man band archive, Man didn't play there in April.  They played there on 23rd and 24th March .. so any idea which of these 2 dates the tracks on the CD actually come from ?
Also, if 4 tracks were recorded, reasonable to assume the full gig was recorded, so why not make the full gig available ? .........

Mike Cross

• BSFA, Cipollina & Kurihara, Hull SF Group
Re: Live at the Keystone
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 01:01:58 PM »
A 2-CD release of "Slow Motion"? Are you sure? I have the Esoteric 2008 release, with the 4 live tracks from 'April 1975', and it's only 1 CD.

As for the question of other tracks from 'April 1975', the Esoteric 2008 version of "Maximum Darkness" has C'Mon & Romain from 'April 1975'.

There IS a recording in circulation of the March 23, 1975 show at the Keystone:

Man
The Keystone, Berkeley, CA
March 23, 1975 96-24

This is a very special recording. This band rocks. I did as much research as I could and could not find this released officially anywhere. The Live at the Keystone tracks added to the re-release of "Welsh Connection" are from a different night.

1.   A Hard Way to Die   5:55
2.   C'mon   24:02
3.   Someone Is Calling   2:59
4.   A Hard Way to Live   3:20
5.   Many Are Called, But Few Get Up   13:23
6.   Romain   5:05
Total   54:46

96-24 transfer from cassette (a Dolby C copy of a 2 track 7.5 ips soundboard reel (generation unknown)) via Bay Area Music Archive to AIFF to WAV (Audacity) to FLAC (CD Wav)

Learn more about Man here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_(band) https://open.spotify.com/artist/6XNNAZyTxhw3IRa0xyRBeo?si=H1kJ6s1rR9u_nJ8admE03Q

IF that is the show used for the 'April 1975' tracks released by Esoteric, then it would appear that we have the whole show split across the 2 releases. I haven't compared the track lengths or music, so I can't say for sure that they are from the same show.

Mike Cross

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 01:26:16 PM »
These are the tracks released as bonus tracks on the Esoteric 2008 releases of Slow Motion and Maximum Darkness, sequenced to match the recording of the March 23, 1975 Keystone show.

1. Hard Way to Die 5:57   
2. C'mon 23:56
3. Someone Is Calling 2:52
4. A Hard Way to Live 3:15
5. Many Are Called, But Few Get Up 13:18
6. Romain 5:00
Total 54:21

The timings ARE pretty close to the March 23, 1975 recording, allowing for variations in the amount of between-song chat/applause included. Case proved?

Mike Cross

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 01:51:05 PM »
I've just found a discussion of the March 23, 1975 recording:

If the shoe - ie. date - fits, this is what was broadcast by KSAN FM of the recording of the entire gig at the Keystone. Thanks very much.

FWIW the line-up was: Micky, Deke, Terry, Ken Whaley

full set list:
Hard Way To Die
Breaking Up Once Again
C'mon
Four Day Louise
You Don't Like Us (- actually, WE ALL DO VERY, VERY MUCH!!!)
Someone Is Calling
Hard Way To LIve
Many Are Called But Few Get Up
Romain

Some tracks may have been released as bonus tracks on the rerelease of Slow Motion (Esoteric, 2008) but dated wrongly as "April 1975".

Yep. This is that material from KSAN. Didn't know about Slow Motion. Will compare and take down this torrent if necessary  Thanks for head's up!

After a close listen it's definitely clear that at least the first track (the others I haven't checked), Hard Way To Die, from your source is identical to the track that's been released as part of the bonus tracks on the above-mentioned Slow Motion-reissue:

a) around 0:19 into the track an audience member can be heard shouting 'yeah' or sth.
b) during the applause and ripples after the track Micky can be heard mumbling sth. that sounds like 'Quicksilver' (??)

However, the KSAN 60min fm broadcast edit may not (or at least, ought not to) be the source tape for for the off. release ... as then, the recording date would not be wrongly stated on the Esoteric release as 'April 1975'.

Besides, your killer RxR tape source also offers C'mon+Romain - both not to be found on the off. rel. ...

AndyB

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 06:32:32 PM »
A 2-CD release of "Slow Motion"? Are you sure? I have the Esoteric 2008 release, with the 4 live tracks from 'April 1975', and it's only 1 CD.

.. You're right, must have confused it with a different CD, it is the 2008 release I am referring to.

I also wondered if the bonus live tracks on Slow Motion and Maximum Darkness would be the full show, but doesn't seem likely as not long enough for a Man band show.  Makes sense to be a subset of the KSAN broadcast.

I do have a 1976 recording of Man live at the Keystone, but not the full recording broadcast by KSAN on FM ..

happytrails

• One of many Tragic Creatures who loves his bananas
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 11:56:47 AM »
Well now I'm well confused. Not sure where I got these from but I have all as one track  Savoy Club 8:8:76 KSAN Broadcast. it is 1.14.22 in length. Also have Man1976-08-05SavoyTivoliSanFranciscoCA which seems to be not as good quality but longer at 1.34.27. Both start off with an identical speach from
Deke talking about John Cipollina briefly.

Mike Cross

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »
Well now I'm well confused. Not sure where I got these from but I have all as one track  Savoy Club 8:8:76 KSAN Broadcast. it is 1.14.22 in length. Also have Man1976-08-05SavoyTivoliSanFranciscoCA which seems to be not as good quality but longer at 1.34.27. Both start off with an identical speach from

The Manband Archive live show list has:
 2  Roxy (two shows, early and late), Hollywood
 5  Savoy Tivoli, San Francisco
 6  Civic Auditorium, San Jose
 7  Theater Workshop, Santa Cruz
 8  Keystone, Berkeley
 9  Keystone, Berkeley
 11  Savoy Tivoli, San Francisco

setlist.fm has

4  Savoy Tivoli, San Francisco
 9  Keystone, Berkeley

I have 2 versions of Savoy, KSAN FM, August 4 "First night (with JC)", and 2 versions of Savoy, August 5 (No JC)

How do the setlists compare between your Savoy recordings?

The Aug 4 recordings I have contain: 1. Intro > Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You, 2. The Ride & The View, 3. A Hard Way To Live, 4. Spunk Box, 5. The Welsh Connection, 6. A Hard Way to Die, 7. Something Is Happening, 8. You're Out of Your Head, 9. Many Are Called But Few Get Up, 10. Romain, and are 81 & 76 minutes long.

The longer Aug 5 recording has the same setlist as Aug 4, plus an encore of You're Out of Your Head / Jam / Bananas, total 95 minutes. The shorter Aug 5 recording stops after Something is Happening, but adds C'mon from the Aug 1 show, total 77 minutes.

Mike Cross

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 07:46:58 PM »
At the start of all 4 Savoy recordings, Deke says:

You all know John Cipollina, I take it? Well, when he came over and joined us ? he brought a Quicksilver song with him & left it behind when he left, it's called Babe I'm Gonna Leave.

AndyB

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 08:14:59 PM »

The Manband Archive live show list has:
 2  Roxy (two shows, early and late), Hollywood
 6  Civic Auditorium, San Jose
 7  Theater Workshop, Santa Cruz
 8  Keystone, Berkeley
 9  Keystone, Berkeley
 11  Savoy Tivoli, San Francisco

setlist.fm has

4  Savoy Tivoli, San Francisco
 9  Keystone, Berkeley

I have 2 versions of Savoy, KSAN FM, August 4 "First night (with JC)", and 2 versions of Savoy, August 5 (No JC)

How do the setlists compare between your Savoy recordings?

The Aug 4 recordings I have contain: 1. Intro > Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You, 2. The Ride & The View, 3. A Hard Way To Live, 4. Spunk Box, 5. The Welsh Connection, 6. A Hard Way to Die, 7. Something Is Happening, 8. You're Out of Your Head, 9. Many Are Called But Few Get Up, 10. Romain, and are 81 & 76 minutes long.

The longer Aug 5 recording has the same setlist as Aug 4, plus an encore of You're Out of Your Head / Jam / Bananas, total 95 minutes. The shorter Aug 5 recording stops after Something is Happening, but adds C'mon from the Aug 1 show, total 77 minutes.

I have a copy of the KSAN FM recorded/broadcasted gig at the Savoy from 4th Aug 76 .. it has the same set list as per that above and is 76 mins in duration.
I also have a copy of Man at the Keystone on 9th Aug 76 .. different set list and 94 mins in duration

Might it not be a good idea for this group (those that are interested) to pool resources so that there is a) a common and accurate understanding of what live recordings actually exist and b) so that we all have a copy of each show to enjoy ??

Baggy

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »
With all this discussion about Live at the Keystone I don't think anyone has mentioned the double cd Live At Keystone Berkeley 9th August 1976 GPC003
The track listing is as follows
CD1
Let the good times roll
Hard way to die
The Welsh connection
Something is happening
The ride and view
Out of your head
Born with a future

CD2
C'mon
Many are called
Babe I'm goona leave you
A hard way to die
Romain
Bananas

It's the Welsh Connection line up us Chippo.