Author Topic: Anyone listening to man during the pandemic.  (Read 1217 times)

Newyorkmanfan

Anyone listening to man during the pandemic.
« on: February 18, 2021, 05:10:19 AM »
I just thought for my first post I wondering what albums by man are on your playlists during these tough times. Since at this point music is my only friend at the moment.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
Re: Anyone listening to man during the pandemic.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 12:44:42 PM »
I just thought for my first post I wondering what albums by man are on your playlists during these tough times. Since at this point music is my only friend at the moment.

Hi Newyorkmanfan, and Greetings!

This week's Man listening consists of the live sides on the expanded 'Back Into The Future'. This is liable to change....

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 08:00:39 AM »
Great choice! For me its rhinos.padget rooms, 2 oz and live at the marquee. For me they were the most underrated band ever! Would love to get the esoteric release of back into the future.

Rob W

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 01:12:18 AM »
Hello New Yorker. Presuming you are a New Yorker. Not a million miles away from Davey in Brooklyn.
Man were constantly on the turntable pre pandemic, are on the turntable during the pandemic, and will be on it after the pandemic. Latest listed was today in the car on the way home from work, listening to DYLIHN. It was the car cd player, so not quite a turntable but you know what I mean 😁

Nick, when the expanded BITF was released...wow!! Those live tracks are amazing. I so regret not discovering Man just one year earlier. Hope you, Celia, Barb are all well

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 07:39:47 AM »
Nick, when the expanded BITF was released...wow!! Those live tracks are amazing. I so regret not discovering Man just one year earlier. Hope you, Celia, Barb are all well

Hi Rob, yes we're all well thanks, hope you and Lesley are too.

Another popular Man choice for me is 'Live At The Rainbow' CD. Thumping version of 'Love Your Life', Clint's finest hour.

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 12:39:29 AM »
The version of C'mon in back into the future is one of the best! Micky's voice makes me tear up due to how emotive he was as a vocalist. Like the title track as well. Even though I am a fan of the line ups with Deke Leonard and loved his guitar playing, there was something special about the 1972-1973 era man that was otherworldly. I have a man compilation called 60 minutes with man from voice print and even though most of the tracks were poorly ripped off vinyl records, there is a version of bananas from 1973 that has some of micky's best vocals and guitar playing. Would like to get live at the rainbow     

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 12:44:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure the esoteric release came out in 2008.

Rob W

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 05:17:40 PM »
Agree entirely with Nick re Love Your Life at The Rainbow.

And agree with the New Yorker. I love Deke, I love his albums (Kamikaze an utter belter), I love him with Man, but the  BGTY and BITF lineups are way ahead of the rest. That should have been Man's recognised sound. Deke to concentrate on his sound with Iceberg. In my opinion

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 05:42:29 PM »
Very true! Although the welsh connection lineup was pretty damn good despite the fact the welsh connection is not their best album. Still like though. I feel though Micky's guitar shone in bgty and bitf although as good as Tweke was as a guitarist, I felt he was a little underpowered. Still really good.     

Rob W

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 09:02:26 PM »
Best of Man's live albums in my opinion is Keystone 76. Awesome and MJ in particular really in his element.

Must say though, my favourite Man albums can change daily.  ;D

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 04:04:46 AM »
Agreed! I have the esoteric remaster of welsh connection which has the keystone gig from august 76 and that version of cmon is so damned good! Especially when they get to micky's solo which is mind blowing good. Probably one of the few guitarist who can stand on a stage with hendrix. When the band kicks into the ending riff micky plays the most beautiful melody I've ever heard and am glad that version was recorded.

Fatheryod

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 11:29:40 AM »
As always, the live stuff from the early 70s. I learned to play lead guitar from Jam Up Jelly Tight and it's still great to practice with. Love to you all!

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 01:12:14 AM »
That's awesome! Been learning and playing all the man songs on guitar while stealing micky's and deke's licks. Great stuff to practice improvisation to.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 05:40:24 PM »
....but the  BGTY and BITF lineups are way ahead of the rest. That should have been Man's recognised sound. Deke to concentrate on his sound with Iceberg. In my opinion

Ohh yes, I'm a Phil/Will fan too.

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 08:02:17 PM »
Great music from both lineups. Although I've read deke's books and I think they should have done whatever they wanted to do and if someone in the band was not open or had different taste, they should talk it out but people are people. At the end of the day I can appreciate all of the catalog that the band left behind.