Author Topic: Mickey's Wah/Volume/Siren Pedal  (Read 1318 times)

Fatheryod

Mickey's Wah/Volume/Siren Pedal
« on: February 24, 2021, 11:27:36 AM »
Hi - does anyone know the make of Mickey's Wah/Volume pedal with the Siren function which he used during the band's 'Golden Era' (for me, at least), the early 70's? I used to follow them then and Mickey was my biggest influence as a guitarist - I even went to the lengths of buying one of these pedals myself but I sold it (along with my Maestro Echoplex - aaaargh!) and now (being old and senile) I can't remember what make it was and it's bugging me. Any help gratefully received. Cheers!

Newyorkmanfan

Re: Mickey's Wah/Volume/Siren Pedal
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 01:19:46 AM »
I'm not 100% since there is very little information about the man band's gear but I think he used a dearmond wah pedal. To be fair they used what they can get their hands on unlike today where guitarist now obsess over what amps,guitars pedals they use and will get real picky. However there is an issue of guitar player magazine from February 1977 which has an interview from deke and micky about what guitars amps and pedals they used.   

Iowerth Pritchard

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 11:29:20 AM »
In the 'Man File' feature in the Nov. 10 1973 issue of Melody Maker Micky's wah pedal is listed as a 'Squall'.  Further digging reveals that they were made by the Japanese company Shin-Ei and marketed in the U.K. by Shaftesbury.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »
Yes we know what it is - used originally on the early live version of 'Romain' and later 'Life On The Road' - we had a discussion either here or on Facebog or somewhere, will rack my brains...

To be fair they used what they can get their hands on unlike today where guitarist now obsess...

Disagree with that, New York - Micky and Deke were very picky (in a good way!)

Fatheryod

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:11:25 PM »
I think you've got it! It was a Shaftesbury pedal I had. There's one for sale on Reverb for 275! I wish even more now that I'd kept it.
Thanks for your help.  Keep on Crinting....

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 07:58:42 PM »
Fair enough good gear is good gear. I know they used peavey bandits in the late 90s which suprised me since most guys always put an emphasis on tube gear. Sadly all this gear is going for ridiculous prices.

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 08:06:43 PM »
I had a feeling though it was a shinei pedal. They made some good stuff. The wah sound micky had was fantastic. I know micky had an mxr blue box on the welsh connection tour, a big muff,univibe during the padget room era and a talk box although I don't know when he had it. He got rid of it later. For dekes pedals, I know he had a few versions of the top gear fuzz (black one with white lettering and the red top version),crybaby wah, also had an mxr blue box and a maestro rover phase shifter. Taken from guitar player 1977.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:09:52 PM by Newyorkmanfan »

George Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 06:33:59 PM »
Micky used the Shin-ei Apollo Wah

in the early 70's this was his only pedal, then came the Echoplex, Phase 90, Blue Box, he also used a Tychobrahe Octavian (Jimi fuzz octave) on AWTEW, you can hear it on spunk rock.

The Big Muff pedal was actually a wah, called the Crying Tone

Both Micky and Deke used a Blue Box and Talk Box, they shared the uni vibe occasionally

Ron Sanchez probably knows as much about what they used

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 05:14:50 AM »
Thanks for the info George its great to hear from you. I will have to buy awtew on cd to hear the octave fuzz. By the way do you know what top gear fuzz deke leonard used during the greasy truckers/padget rooms era? It is one of my favorite fuzz guitar sounds since it has a really :) interesting harmonic content that sounds like a buzz saw? Definitely going to get state of dystopia at some point. Cheers  :)

George Jones

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 07:29:27 PM »
No worries

Deke used the red Top Gear Fuzz, worth a fortune now.  You can get close with any Silicon Fuzz or a Tonebender, it's very Jimmy Page sounding

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 04:19:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I've always wondered about that guitar sound. Since it compliments mickys overdriven sg so well. Btw did micky use an ac30 for the first 3 man albums?I'm also wondering about dekes telecaster too since I know he had a strat neck on it, did he have a maple tele neck put on it or was it the original one refretted? Since it looked like a maple fretboard.

joan

• Terry Williams and Man pages
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 08:26:55 PM »
I didn't remember there is this piece of the Roundhouse 1976 video with Micky talking about his pedals:
https://www.facebook.com/571707753/videos/10156836561217754/
(can you open the link?)

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 05:29:57 PM »
That's blooming awesome! ;D I see a mxr phase 90, mxr Blue box,the footswitch for the echoplex and the echoplex itself but I don't know which wah pedal he used here. Crying tone? Love the big band with 3 girl singers bit.