Author Topic: Man Apollo Theatre Glasgow with John Cipollina May 14,1975  (Read 973 times)

Rob W

Re: Man Apollo Theatre Glasgow with John Cipollina May 14,1975
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 08:15:33 PM »
Fair enough. Was this gig also part of the live adventures boxset? Because i recognize the incomplete version from the manchester cd. Wasn't the gig radio broadcast or was it just a cassette recorder?

I recall we determined that the info etc on 'Live Adventures' was poor and that it had the wrong Manchester Venue - it should be the Free Trade Hall on May 20 1975. Recorded off the desk.

Correct. I recall it stating the wrong venue. Hardrock I think.

Can't believe that Gong has already sold out their Hebden Bridge gig  next March 2022. Where did that come from? 😁😄

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 08:15:53 PM »
That's awesome! Deke was a class act.  ;D Love his books and he was a good guitar player and vocalist to boot. I agree maximum darkness is one of man's real highlights and one of the best things they have done. I still am a huge fan of Padget rooms but Maximum darkness is more consistent.

Nigelbb

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2021, 08:25:54 AM »
I saw them on the opening night of that tour, 4 days previously at the Southend Kursaal. Deke was kind enough to honour my attendance by mentioning that Gig in RW+L  8)

It was a great gig and the tour produced, in my opinion, the best live album in Maximum Darkness.

Tel

I agree with your opinion of Maximum Darkness. It's an amazing live album even though it's Man with no keyboard player & three guitarists. For me the high point is Many Are Called But Few Get Up with Terry's absolutely incredible drumming.

Rob W

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 01:52:14 PM »
I agree, Maximum Darkness is an amazing album. And if I had to pick a highlight, it would be MACBFGU.

However, the fella who introduced me to Man all those years back refused to buy the album because he felt it was so much overdubbed, it wasn't a live album.

Bass guitar on the album is good, isn't it 😁

Newyorkmanfan

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 02:19:36 AM »
Agreed! I'm pretty sure the overdubbing was on bananas since Cipollina's guitar went out of tune on that track. I rather hear overdubbed parts in tune rather than a guitar that was out of tune ;D. Agree with the bass.