Author Topic: Man are:  (Read 780 times)

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
Man are:
« on: February 15, 2023, 11:31:05 PM »
Here's a note to myself from some time ago (I can't recall when) that I just unearthed when clearing out some old folders.

"Man are about the transitions. Riding the wormhole and emerging at the outer edges of the horsehead nebula."

No idea where I was going with this, but I did at least get started.
Boldly going.......

Rob W

Re: Man are:
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 10:20:21 PM »
It's all very well name-dropping wormholes and some blinkin' horsehead nebula, the important question is...

Should it be 'Man is' and not ' Man are'?

😁

Arjayay

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 12:39:32 PM »
British English uses the plural for "nouns of multitude", groups, teams, etc., so it is Man are, The Beatles were,
American English follows the grammatical number, e.g.  Aerosmith is, but The New York Dolls were, because dolls are plural
What they do if a band's name is a noun that is both singular and plural, like sheep, I have no idea

Rob W

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 12:58:12 AM »
Thank you RJ.

I'm still in touch with my old English teacher. I should ask him though he was English Lit not English Language.

I have a great story about him, Shakespeare's Winter Tale at Stratford Upon Avon, and my extremely weak bladder. I'll wait until I write my book.

Not as good a story though about when I met the great Kingsley Ward. Now that was funny.

There we go. Another thread on the forum going off topic like a great MJ solo before getting back (hopefully) on track. Eeeee... it's like the old days