Author Topic: john mckenzie  (Read 5265 times)

William Rait

john mckenzie
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »
I've just been looking at the GONG website(www.planetgong.co.uk) They are touring over the summer in Europe and in the UK in November. It appears that as GONG'S regular bass player Mike Howlett is becoming a professor back in Australia, our own dear JMcK will be filling in for him on the Summer gigs.Also of note is that Steve Hillage & Miquette Giraudy are in the band and also that there is a gig arranged for Edinburgh(MAN & related MAN bands please note!) :D a full list of dates in UK &Europe are on the web site.

Campbell

Re: john mckenzie
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
I saw Gong maybe 9 years ago at the Canterbury festival and they were superb.Since then I have read reports on this site about people seeing them last year and by all accounts they were dreadful.
Could be worth a visit though

Rob the Organ

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:23:56 AM »
I saw Gong maybe 9 years ago at the Canterbury festival and they were superb.Since then I have read reports on this site about people seeing them last year and by all accounts they were dreadful.
Could be worth a visit though

I'm afraid they were - Dai PT and I went up to see them at the Kentish Town Forum. They went on at about 9 and by 10.15 we had driven back to Brentford and were having a pint in The Globe.

Maybe John McK will liven them up? Being an old cohort of Hillage it might mean that he/they dominate more. No bad thing given that Gilly Smyth was given free reign for an extentended space whisper..and told "Shut up you dozy slag" from a heckler right at the back. He had a point.

Hillage looked bored throughout and widdled all too sparingly. We stayed to hear "You can't Kill Me", bought a couple of glow in the dark Camembert Electrique T-shirts and fu**ed off back to the safety of Middlesex.

bigbeasts.com

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:23:39 AM »
Ha!! no-one expects the Extentended Space Whisper!! Their one weapon is fear and surprise..two weapons..fear surprise and ruthless efficiency..three... 8)

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:20:09 PM »
Ha!! no-one expects the Extentended Space Whisper!! Their one weapon is fear and surprise..two weapons..fear surprise and ruthless efficiency..three... 8)

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Go for it!

Any sign of Didier Bad de Grasse in all this?
Nationsounds - the label that brought you Shake The Nation and raised 1,500 in memory of Micky...

William Rait

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »
Very sadly,no. Didier is playing in a trio in France & has a gig arranged in Rotterdam  on 31/5/09. Also Nick sorry to be pedantic but Didier Malherbe also went under the guise of Bloomdido Bad de Grasse! Bit like Roberto de la Organe :D

Martin Daughton

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 05:55:16 PM »
I am having a strong case of deja vu about this thread..... ???

All this has Gong before in an earlier thread.

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:55:49 PM »
That's what happens when you get to our age, the memory goes.

Someone told me that once, I forget who.
Boldly going.......

Rob the Organ

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 09:11:21 PM »
Very sadly,no. Didier is playing in a trio in France & has a gig arranged in Rotterdam  on 31/5/09. Also Nick sorry to be pedantic but Didier Malherbe also went under the guise of Bloomdido Bad de Grasse! Bit like Roberto de la Organe :D

de L'Orgue, Uncle Bill, de L'Orgue...

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 09:46:52 PM »
I am having a strong case of deja vu about this thread..... ???

Someone told me that once, I forget who.

Crosby Stills Nash and Young perhaps?
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.