Author Topic: MAN - 2009-04-26 Rendsburg, Bullentempel, Germany - setlist only  (Read 10255 times)

Mark Davies

• Man & Deke Leonard Photo Album
MAN
2009-04-26
Rendsburg, Bullentempel
Germany

setlist:

01. Intro (1:45)
02. The Price (6:30)
03. Mad On Her (6:13)
04. Shadow Of The Hand (5:42)
05. Speak (4:52)
06. Russian Roulette>Kingdom Of Noise (11:20)
07. Stuck Behind The Popemobile (9:28)
08. Dream Away (6:19)
09. Steal The World (4:47)
10. Manillo (5:23)
11. The Man With X-Ray Eyes (6:19)
12. Many Are Called But Frew Get Up (8:22)
13. audience (1:33)
14. Freedom Fries (7:57)
15. Romain (5:45)
16. Conflict Of Interest (9:01)

The Manband is :

Martin Ace - Bass, vocals
Josh Ace - Guitar, vocals
Phil Ryan - Keyboards, vocals
James Beck - Guitar, vocals
Rene Robrahn - Drums, vocals.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
Re: MAN - 2009-04-26 Rendsburg, Bullentempel, Germany - setlist only
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:35:26 PM »
We await with interest....not surprised that 'Manillo' and 'MACBFGU' are in there, but surpised that 'Visionairies' isn't...surprised that 'Conflict Of Interest' is in - shows you how much I know....
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Tim W

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
Hmmm....

Many will be pleased to note the rebuffin' of the chuffin' muffin'.

Otherwise, very Ace-centric, as you'd expect. Dream Away is the biggest surprise, Conflict a close second.

I thought Something is Happening would have been retained for Phil, and maybe Victim of Love. Of course, the set list may well vary as they get further into the tour.

The big unknown in all this is how James Beck will perform...

Tim W

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »
Just downloaded a 1 minute mp3 sample of Conflict... some decent organ / wahwah guitar interplay going on.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »
The big unknown in all this is how James Beck will perform...

I suspect he will be rather good....
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Davey

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »
 mark-thanks for the info...peace...

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:22 PM »
Tell us, tell us.....

(and no it wouldn't be easier if I just joined Dime like everyone else)
(even though it would)
(and you're all right and I'm all wrong)
(etc)

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »
I set it playing while I had breakfast, then went out to build a greenhouse, so still haven't heard it..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Tim W

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »
Tell us, tell us.....

Mr.Beck seems partial to his wahwah pedal.

bobfan2

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
well..let me write a few notes on the new manband...i seldom was that curious going to a MAN show for the last decades. What to expect after all these troubles and personal changes in the past month's.
To be honest I did not expect much. The shadows of Deke, Mickey and of course George are so very big and I could not imagine that someone of the new band could fill out this gap.

Coming to the show now...I was very disappointed about the circumstance that only ca 80 visitors attend this show. Felt sad for the band.
First song was ''The Price'' which never was a big favorite of mine.Starting with this ''sing along'' song forced my mixed emotions and worries about the new line up.
It was followed by ''Mad On Her'' which I always liked as a real rocker. It was played very solid here with some psychedelic guitar licks by the new guitarists James Beck. It was the point, where I felt reminded back a little bit on the MAN spirit. After this they did 4 songs of the new CD ''Kingdom of Noise'' in a row. The strongest tune of those 4 to me was ''Speak'' written by Josh Ace. Liked the way Josh was singing here and also some nice guitar and keybord licks. A nice laid back tune of course. Next was ''Popemobile''. Do not waste any words on that song, as I never liked it. Not even Deke or Mickey made it enjoyable to me in the past.After this a big surprise was played.'' Dream Away'' which was sung by Phil Ryan and done very well.The next new song followed..''Steal The World''...really nothing special to me

Next to come the old classic Ace song ''Manillo''. It was a solid version here. ''X-Ray Eyes'' was done very good aswell with some nice keyboard licks. Phil gave it a push again. Now the band first time came to one of the real old classics. It was ''Many Are Called, But Few Get Up''. It was shortened heavily at the beginning and at the end. The beloved drum part at the end was shortened . It was not to compare with the old days, but in the end nice to have it on the setlist. Gave the show a MAN touch.
After the encore break we faced another 3 songs which started with ''Freedom Fries'' (done well) followed by the classic'' Romain''. At the end of the show we faced another big surprise with ''Conflict Of Interest''. I never expected they will do a Deke song. But again with Phil?s Keyboard licks and some nice guitars by James Beck it was done very good.

All in all it was a solid show and the sound was very good. We should remember it was only the 3rd gig of the band with this line up and only a 2 weeks rehearsal session. My point of view it is a big mistake to compare it with the old MAN. That would not be fair to the new members.I think no other band could replace such excellent musicians like Deke & Micky without losing quality.

After the decision to go on as MAN give them a chance to play and practise. James and Rene surely have to learn the ropes. To me James Beck did a good job so far with some nice effects and maybe we have some more classic MAN songs on the setlist in the future. Why not C'mon, Bananas, ?..Everything should be possible. I think this line up is blessed with the return of Phil Ryan. He gives them a push. To me he could spread his psychedelic keys a little more in the future.We should not compare this band with early MAN. But if it comes to compare with other music of our times this is still very good. Let them roll for a while. I remember George needed some time aswell to reach the level that he had at the end of the last line up.....

resuming all this I surely was disappointed immediately after the show. After 2 days and listening a few times I must say it was not too bad and worth to attend this show. Curious how the story goes on in the future..

Funny little highlight to me was a visitor who asked Martin before Manillo, making a little break for the smokers and then continue...funny to me cause the question sounded seriously....hahahaha

RC
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:53:01 PM by bobfan2 »

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »
Thanks Bobfan 2.

John Bannon

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 08:18:55 PM »
Coming to the show now...I was very disappointed about the circumstance that only ca 80 visitors attend this show. Felt sad for the band.

Thanks for that Bobfan 2, At last something about the new band, agree with you the new members should be given time to settle in. Don't be disappointed about the turnout, 80 people would be regarded as a reasonable audience over here in the present climate.....

Colin Salter

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:10:18 PM »
Yes, good point that George took quite a while to settle in, so we should give these gys the same respect. However, the question of rehearsal time (lack of) is one that seemed to dog the last days of the previous line-up. There were constant references to under-rehearsed sets in reviews in the last year or so. It's just not good enough, and particularly not with a new line-up; it's insulting to teh audience to believe you can just roll up and do your stuff without putting any work in. Rant over.

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
Yes, good point that George took quite a while to settle in, so we should give these gys the same respect. However, the question of rehearsal time (lack of) is one that seemed to dog the last days of the previous line-up. There were constant references to under-rehearsed sets in reviews in the last year or so. It's just not good enough, and particularly not with a new line-up; it's insulting to teh audience to believe you can just roll up and do your stuff without putting any work in. Rant over.

Rehearsal is something that has always dogged the Manband - it's not a recent thing by any stretch of the imagination.  It's one of the main reason that the setlists had the tendency to remain static for so long.  The appearance of a new album and the need to incorporate new songs into the set seemed to be the only occasion when anything intensive appeared to have been attempted.

And I well remember that gig at Hebden Bridge which was the first after Deke's departure - an utter debacle when the band all but broke down on any number of occasions when it was clear that there was no leadership coming from anywhere on the stage.  As often as the band have played some of the best gigs I've seen, that gig also means they have the honour of giving the worst performance I've ever seen.

Having listened to this gig  up to Manillo, it's a reasonably enjoyable performance and whilst there are some rough edges, they'v done well given the amount of both new and old songs that have been included   In general , the guitars aren't forceful enough but there's some nice touches.   Phil's keyboard knock some of the more rockist aspects off both The Price and Mad On Her.   I'll iisten to the rest of the show tomorrow night.

It still suffers from the "Is it Man" syndrome, but that could equally be applied to the Diamonds & Coal version of the band before Phil rejoined
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Mark Davies

• Man & Deke Leonard Photo Album
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »