Author Topic: all night 11 hour indian concert may 9 nyc 64th st central park west  (Read 3549 times)

Davey

peace i just want to talk about a great i concert i went to on sat. it was 11 hours straight of indian

music from 7.p.m to 6 .a.m...first they had a western sarod guy and a western woman sitar player.then

they had a female vocalist and her group.i can't remember everything off the top of my head,but i stepped

out for a moment for a quick bit of fresh air(at a perfect 73) and when i got back in, there were

25 people  on the stage playing tabla at the same time in long rhythmic patterns.one player looked to be

about 4 years old.he was following along pretty good.not everyone was playing at the same time,but it

sounded like they were...then they had a sitar-tabla duo ,a male vocalist,another female,and they finished

with a guy playing indian music via  hawaiian guitar (on his lap with a slide), along with a tabla player.the

clothes were very colorful.most of the audience was laid out horizontally by the end.but everyone stood up

to show their appreciation after each act with a deafening roar.they had great indian food in the

basement.i would like to recommend this concert to anyone who will be in new york in may.this concert

happens every year(always in may)...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:38:45 AM by davey »

Davey

oops i now realize this should have been posted in the other bands category :'(  so sorry -peace-davey

merc

Davey I've seem the Muazzam Qawwali Group {actually Pakistani} at Womad a few times. The energy off these guys is infectious. No...it ain't rock 'n' roll so it takes an adjustment. I can handle that.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
For me, music is a gob smacking thirst quenching oasis of exploration and discovery. I still find it amazing that a minor chord is felt as 'sad' and a major chord as 'happy' and that the difference between them, in terms of a chord made up of six strings on a guiitar, is that just one of the notes is lowered a mere semi tone, one fret along. That's not a lot to produce such a difference in perception.

So imagine music where the notes are further divided into quarter tones.....

No...it ain't rock 'n' roll so it takes an adjustment.

Yep...

...I can handle that.

Good Lad! Enjoy!

oops i now realize this should have been posted in the other bands category :'(  so sorry -peace-davey

Don't worry Davey, no doubt that nice Mr Jules will painlessly move us in due course.

'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Rob the Organ

For me, music is a gob smacking thirst quenching oasis of exploration and discovery. I still find it amazing that a minor chord is felt as 'sad' and a major chord as 'happy' and that the difference between them, in terms of a chord made up of six strings on a guiitar, is that just one of the notes is lowered a mere semi tone, one fret along. That's not a lot to produce such a difference in perception.

So imagine music where the notes are further divided into quarter tones.....

Been at the Quintessence albums again, Nick?

"Things are great in Notting Hill Gate, we all sit around and meditiate..."