Author Topic: Man - Trades Club Hebden Bridge, 3rd October 2009  (Read 24420 times)

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
Man - Trades Club Hebden Bridge, 3rd October 2009
« on: October 04, 2009, 03:17:44 AM »
13 people at Wrexham, 100 (or so) at the 100 Club. Would we break 1000 at the Trades Club?

Nope.

I'd venture there were 35-40 people in the audience tonight, but we did all get royally entertained. Not very many familiar faces in the crowd, and a number of people I spoke with after the show were returnees to the fold after a long absence.

Songs included The Price, Mad On Her, Speak, C'mon, Russian Roulette, Spunk Rock, The Man With X-Ray Eyes, Steal The World, Dream Away, Many Are Called But Few Get Up. Encores were Bananas, Romain, Conflict Of Interest.

Good sound out front in my opinion, the crew at the Trades Club are pretty well organised and didn't let any standards slip tonight. Having caught two thoroughly enjoyable shows on the previous tour I was aware of what to expect, but the band certainly exceeded my expectations tonight. With C'mon and Bananas back on the menu, there was a really good balance between the tight ships of the shorter songs, and the more open horizons of the longer ones.

Phil's playing is always outstanding, and tonight was an excellent example. In C'mon and Bananas particularly he reminded me why Be Good To Yourself has been top of my tree ever since I first heard it. James Beck is a first rate guitar player who combines both discipline and imagination, handling the back catalogue with equal aplomb as the newer songs. James has the ability to stretch out, as well as keep it lean, and he and Phil are building a really strong rapport. Across the stage, Josh's lead guitar playing seemed to me to be more confident too, and the combinations of musicianship popping up everywhere are very promising. With lightness and shade coming from Rene (7 discarded sticks), and Martin playing some great dancing bass lines in juxtaposition with the traditional Manband stomp, it was treat.

I came away from Colwyn Bay a few weeks ago feeling privileged to have caught another really good Man gig, and was reassured that the music and spirit lived on. Tonight took it on to another level again, and I found it fascinating to look both backwards and forwards at the same time. The legacy is in good hands, and the future is full of promise. 3rd night of the tour. Next week's Yorkshire shows are being keenly anticipated in this household.
Boldly going.......

Rusby

Re: Man - Trades Club Hebden Bridge, 3rd October 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »
Great that you enjoyed the show and thanks a lot for the review, Jules!

Very interesting to hear all this  & it sounds  very promising for the future. Good to hear that C'mon and Bananas are back on the table.

Tim W

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:06:30 PM »
Trades Club review now posted.

Mark Davies

• Man & Deke Leonard Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »
Hebden Bridge photos now up on my website http://homepage.ntlworld.com/markdav/index.htm.

Davey

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »
thanks for the review and for the rest of the reports and photos...i would like to see and hear them.if i could, i'd make the gig with the scottish breakfast...i was hoping they would play c'mon and bananas if they wanted to.and they did!  ...are there any clips of this tour or lineup on the youtube yet?...

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »
Review and gallery  now posted in the Concerts section of the Archive too.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:23:37 AM by Jules »
Boldly going.......

Martin Daughton

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 08:21:12 PM »
Review and gallery now posted in the Concerts section of the Archive too.

I like your optimism of having the concert dates up to 2015.

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 08:22:36 PM »
I like your optimism of having the concert dates up to 2015.

2010 dates are being booked as we speak.......
Boldly going.......

Mark Davies

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:02:02 AM »
I had a great night at Hebden Bridge. Excellent sound quality (as usual) at the venue. The band were very tight and together, though Josh does still seem a bit apprehensive. Mad On Her is not my favourite track off Twang, but this version is impressive and really rocks. Of the new stuff, I'm also sad the Kingdom of Noise didn't make the cut. It is great to see both C'mon & Spunk Rock back in the set. Both numbers had parts that surprised (in a good way) and amazed - the spacey, middle section of Spunk Rock was awesome. Martin's haircut also surprised & amazed but, sadly, his footwear was not up to the usual high standards. As has been said elsewhere, this is no Man tribute act going through the motions. Roll on Thursday at the New Roscoe.

Michael Heatley

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »
A satisfied customer! Stop at the end Mark if you haven't already and tell 'em how you feel. It seems there'll be low turnouts this tour, so a word of empathy would go down well.

And I know I'll be bringing a mate next time, so if we all do that we'll be looking at...ooh, 80 people a gig! By 2015, if the friend brings a friend, Wembley Arena!  :o

Mark Davies

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »
A satisfied customer!

We should have him stuffed....

Stop at the end Mark if you haven't already and tell 'em how you feel. It seems there'll be low turnouts this tour, so a word of empathy would go down well.

We didn't rush straight off, but there was no sign of the band, so we didn't hang around. Upstairs communing with Jools, no doubt :)

And I know I'll be bringing a mate next time, so if we all do that we'll be looking at...ooh, 80 people a gig! By 2015, if the friend brings a friend, Wembley Arena!  :o

We had the usual gang of three - me , my wife Val & Tim W. I guess we do have room for another one or two...

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »
It seems there'll be low turnouts this tour, so a word of empathy would go down well.

And I know I'll be bringing a mate next time, so if we all do that we'll be looking at...ooh, 80 people a gig! By 2015, if the friend brings a friend, Wembley Arena!  :o

30 People at Southend last night to see the Martin Ace Band. I guess a lot are being put off by the strong aroma of cooked goose!

Colin Salter

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 12:27:22 PM »
Oh Gavin! You've made your point. Move on.

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »
Oh Gavin! You've made your point. Move on.

Hey Oric this is a forum, as far as I'm aware not just restricted to praising Martin Ace and Co.
If I find the optimism surrounding these recent poorly attended gigs somewhat vomit inducing I might feel inlclined to comment.

For what its worth Oric, this Thursday Man will be playing 5 minutes from my home and I wont be going to see them. This will be the first time in more than 20 years Man have played in Leeds and I wont be there. That makes me feel very very sad. So dont you dare tell me I cant comment on this situation!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:39:48 PM by Gavin »

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »
30 People at Southend last night to see the Martin Ace Band. I guess a lot are being put off by the strong aroma of cooked goose!

Gavin, this is Man, not the Martin Ace Band. It even says so on the posters (check the related Gallery if you're in any doubt). In my opinion, you really do need to get your head out of your arse now.

If you can't support the band that's fine, but at least try to keep up with the real world.
Boldly going.......