Author Topic: Man - Trades Club Hebden Bridge, 3rd October 2009  (Read 24418 times)

Michael Heatley

Re: Man - Trades Club Hebden Bridge, 3rd October 2009
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »
Sorry, Jules, this is the Manband Archive, isn't it? Why apologise?

'Over the top optimism'? If that means reporting on what you see, then I am guilty as charged. Lock me up and throw away the key...or are we all in an asylum?

Mark Davies

• Man & Deke Leonard Photo Album
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 06:09:37 PM »

'Over the top optimism'? If that means reporting on what you see, then I am guilty as charged. Lock me up and throw away the key...or are we all in an asylum?

Clearly  :)

Colin Salter

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
I'm sorry, but ...

Oh Gavin! Hardly abusive. "Fuck off, Gavin" - now THAT would be abusive. Sorry we can't agree about this, but it doesn't in any way diminish the respect I have for the labours of love you undertook in promoting and supporting the Manband. And for the avoidance of doubt, as my crap solicitor would say, that wasn't meant to be abusive either.

If we're all in the asylum, it must be the Reading one where Micky forgot to take the capo off - we all seem to be a bit highly strung these days. I'll get my strait jacket ...

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 06:28:44 PM »

Fuck off Michael.  ;D

(sorry, couldn't resist it)
Boldly going.......

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »
If we're all in the asylum, it must be the Reading one where Micky forgot to take the capo off - we all seem to be a bit highly strung these days. I'll get my strait jacket ...

Don't want to be pedantic (as if!!) but wasn't that Deke?
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 06:38:38 PM »
Gavin's bang on the nail regarding the audience numbers being a problem. It is hard to see how they can make money on tour these days. Mind you, that's been true ever since the mid-eighties, so no real change but more a continuing trend. The handful of people who turned up to watch Micky, Deke, Phil, Martin and Bob in Pontycymmer the day before Endangered Species was showcased at the Coal Exchange would no doubt have a view on that. As would the 12 who graced the Leopard in Doncaster a couple of years back. The Leopard is hopefully going to see more punters this Saturday, but you never know.

Boldly going.......

Colin Salter

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 07:11:20 PM »
I'll get Mr Heron's strait jacket ...

Tim W

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 07:34:44 PM »
The Leopard is hopefully going to see more punters this Saturday, but you never know.

I have flippantly remarked previously that this is a tour of Yorkshire and surrounding districts, but it is a bit strange having three dates so close geographically. If the Doncaster numbers are low, I think that will be a factor more than anything else.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »
There's a shedload of boarders behaving like they're part of a family that have fallen out over one thing of a Christmas (should sprouts be boiled for one week or two, perhaps) and forget about what bought them together in the first place.  Focussing on the one 'bad' thing rather than on the thousands of good things.

I remember having similar arguments when I was about twelve over my football team losing to someone elses.  West Ham if you want to know.  You get used to them losing after forty years.

Come on guys, grow up and show a bit of respect to each other.  You have done in the past.

Gavin, I can see that you've been affected by the way you feel you've been treated. 
Jules, you seem to be taking the MA side (Who can probably look after himself if necessary.  From a distance - the bravery of being out of range - I'd just like to say I thought his break up statement came across as a bit arrogant, but whoever thought he was shy and retiring?!).

No prob with you guys disagreeing, but have you ever considered it's a bit like that line from one of the Crocodile Dundee films about two fleas fighting over who owns the dog?

Thank you and goodnight.  Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Dan Singh

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 10:14:20 PM »
Blessed are the cheesemakers.

There, I told you so, we always drfift off topic..

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 10:31:21 PM »
Jules, you seem to be taking the MA side (Who can probably look after himself if necessary.  From a distance - the bravery of being out of range - I'd just like to say I thought his break up statement came across as a bit arrogant, but whoever thought he was shy and retiring?!).

Why is this about taking sides?   A lineup of a band has changed - not an event that the Manband has been entirely unfamiliar with - and people can either choose to continue to follow one, both or neither of the resultant grouping.  Continuing to like one is certainly not a pre-requisite to disliking the other.

Much has also been made of the statment on this board, but it is worth recalling that this was made effectively as a rebuttal to a previous posting which certainly covers its' rather direct manner.  But (as is acknowledged) Martin Ace has always been touched by a streak of arrogance, it's a major part of what makes him who he is (for better or worse) so there's no real surprise there either.

I'm quite encouraged by the recent reports - this sounds like it could be an adventurous band when earlier indications were that this would not be the case.  Also pleased to see that much of Kingdom Of Noise has been quietly sidelined (although they have dispensed with the title track which is one of the best tracks on it) as it is a decidedly mediocre entry in the Man canon.  (And I don't think this is much to do with the split as such - notwithstanding that I suspect it was a contributory factor - as 7 of the 9 tracks were originally recorded with the old line-up.   It was already well on the way to being a mediocre album based on the general quality of the music).   As such, I'm more inclined to be heading for the Kingdom (of Fife) on Sunday evening than I was before.

And I'll still also look forward to whatever comes out of George and Bob's project as well.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:42:32 PM by Allan Heron »
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Michael Heatley

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2009, 11:12:02 PM »
Good posts by MBB and AH. Love the fleas and dog analogy!  ;D

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »
I reckon I should take a powder.
Boldly going.......

Colin Salter

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2009, 11:29:18 PM »
Yes, I too am more inclined than before to find the Inn at Lathones - but the price really sticks in my unemployed no-income craw. ?24 is a lot, and I think at least ?9 more than any other venue on this tour. It's great that they're playing Scotland again at last, but at some cost to the fans!

Davey

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2009, 11:45:11 PM »
in terms of attendance, 2 things, # 1: a great band will rock any size crowd it decides to play for(like in

deke's book) # 2:in my opinion, if the music is happening, you don't quit,you're bound to get a break...and

another thing, which i will call #3: in terms of making up and truces,it would be nice to see that within

the Man board,and also is it possible that someday the people who fell out within the Man band

itself could make up,maybe jamming on stage one time at one of those super group summits as a catalyst

for good will? wouldn't this follow the pattern of the Man band through history? maybe its not possible or

too early to talk about,but hey everything else has been thrown on the table, why not this? someday i

mean.i hope they are at least able to make peace with each other at some point(if possible) ...and i hope

Gwp vol.2 comes out,i'd like to see that if it does and i dug the berkeley cd...and one last

thing i tell myself for comfort  in situations that are out of my control (which i will share with you) : i

personally had nothing, NOTHING WHATSOVER, TO DO WITH.... the roswell incident...i wasn't even born

yet and i have the papers to prove it.you'll never pin it on me...ahh i feel better now(they won't get me on

this one) p.s. the talk about strait jackets and asylums reminds me of that quote from "one flew over the

cuckoo's nest"(by one of the patients) :"i'm schizophrenic and i say we try it"....