Author Topic: (Greatest) Man Songs Never Played Live  (Read 19542 times)

Ron Fronberg

(Greatest) Man Songs Never Played Live
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »
Inspired by another posting.

With all the Man concerts I have attended a few songs that I was always hoping the band would play.

Daughter Of the Fireplace
The Single
2 Kilos
Erotica - Micky did ask for a female to do the vocals but no volunteers.

There are more but this is a start.

ron

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
Re: (Greatest) Man Songs Never Played Live
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »
Inspired by another posting.

With all the Man concerts I have attended a few songs that I was always hoping the band would play.

Daughter Of the Fireplace
The Single
2 Kilos
Erotica - Micky did ask for a female to do the vocals but no volunteers.

Hi Ron, this post crossed mine on the 'BITF' thread! I've added a few there, but they have played 'Daughter' live.
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

joan

• Terry Williams and Man pages
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »
Ron has wrote "Inspired by another posting", so I suppose he has read our messages in that thread.  ;)

Live songs I'd like to listen to (and I don't know if they were played live):
Grasshopper, Rainbow eyes, California silks and satins, Love, Blind man, Bedtime bone, Rock and roll you out, etc.

Talking about BITF I wonder in the other thread if Don't go away and Never say nups to nepalese" were ever played live.
It's interesting to know "Back into the future" and "Kerosene" seem to be played only in the 1983 tour.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
It's interesting to know "Back into the future" and "Kerosene" seem to be played only in the 1983 tour.

Joan - 'BITF' was briefly played during the later part of the 1973 tour following the release of the 'BITF' album.

My vote for Greatest Man Song Never Played Live: 'Never Say Nups To Nepalese'. I reckon this could have been the launch pad for some frantic and spacy jamming in loads of good directions in the right hands.

Or loads of bad directions in the wrong hands, ha ho ha.   
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Pete T

• Man 1968 - 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:45:25 AM »
..I could spoil this with a list of songs I'd wished they NEVER played live, but as it's the festive season..
Virgin places don't mean a thing to people who never bring their hearts along.

Ron S

• Career Records
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 04:29:27 AM »
Ron has wrote "Inspired by another posting", so I suppose he has read our messages in that thread.  ;)

Live songs I'd like to listen to (and I don't know if they were played live):
Grasshopper, Rainbow eyes, California silks and satins, Love, Blind man, Bedtime bone, Rock and roll you out, etc.

Talking about BITF I wonder in the other thread if Don't go away and Never say nups to nepalese" were ever played live.

There were many requests for Rainbow Eyes in California, but they just shrugged...Same for all the request for the Single... We got Breaking Up instead.

Bed Time Bone came up in a discussion at Egg. the next day Mick said he went back to the hotel and tried  to play it, but couldn't remember it. In 1985, I was asked what I wanted to hear, and said BITF... they just laughed and said they only did it for the live album... I couldn't think of any others. Kerosene would have been one I want to hear. The mucked up Four Day Louise every time they played it!
The Country That Rules Magnetism, Rules The World

Davey

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »
They mucked up Four Day Louise every time they played it!
uhh nick do you and/or your handlers have a copy of this in your archives? maybe there's film footage perhaps.what was the rest of the setlist when four day louise was played i wonder? did they ever play thunder and lightning kid for example...

Mike Morgan

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 11:34:49 AM »
I recall a hand out from the Rhino's tour saying something like "Four day Louise feels like a song we'll play forever".

Oh well.  or was that a Fleetwood Macc number?

Rob W

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »
I recall a hand out from the Rhino's tour saying something like "Four day Louise feels like a song we'll play forever".

Oh well.  or was that a Fleetwood Macc number?

The sleeve notes within RW&L stated that. I don't recall seeing it played live.

Davey, if you can get hold of Mannerisms 1 & Mannerisms 2, they will tell you everything Man played at all their gigs, e&oe of course.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 12:20:20 PM »
Passage of time and all that, but I seem to recall them playing it in Swansea Top Rank on the tour to support the album. Wouldn't put much money on it though.

I knew I'd read the 'play it forever' thing somewhere.  Wrongly thought it was in the flyer that is still with the vinyl; will look that up later.  Seem to recall it says something about Malcolm Morley being a keyboard player who has nervous breakdowns and that the writing was done in exchange for large amounts of dangerous lawn mower cuttings.

joan

• Terry Williams and Man pages
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
They mucked up Four Day Louise every time they played it!
uhh nick do you and/or your handlers have a copy of this in your archives? maybe there's film footage perhaps.what was the rest of the setlist when four day louise was played i wonder? did they ever play thunder and lightning kid for example...
Yes, I have this one:
Darmstadt, Otto - Berndt - Halle 05.09.1974
CD 1 Spunk Rock, The Thunder And Lightning Kid, Many Are Called, But Few Get Up, 7171-551, C'mon.
CD 2 Four Day Louise, It's A Hard Way To Live, Day And Night, Bananas, Romain.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »
The Rhinos (and Slow Motion) version of Man did include 'Four Day Louise', 'Thunder' and 'Taking' in their live repertoire, although they weren't always played. On 'Thunder' Deke played piano and also the lead vocal once Malcolm left, although he did vary the melody line a bit. I remember him saying he felt like Lynsey de Paul at the time.

The Rhinos line up also performed 'Scotch Corner' and Help Yourself's 'Blown Away' and 'American Mother'.

The Slow Motion line up played 'Hard Way To Die', 'Day & Night' and very rarely 'You Don't Like Us'.

With the exception of 'Hard Way To Die' all these songs were unceremoniously dumped folowing Ken's departure, and as already mentioned 'Kerosene' wasn't played until the 1983 reformation.

The quote, which as Rob says is from the 'Rhinos' LP sleeve, is 'Micky and Deke did the music and Malcolm and Deke did the words. Micky sings it. Malcolm plays piano...we'll probably play this for the next twenty nine years'.

Seem to recall it says something about Malcolm Morley being a keyboard player who has nervous breakdowns and that the writing was done in exchange for large amounts of dangerous lawn mower cuttings.

Hmmm....don't recall seeing that one...

Trevor Barstow

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »
The mucked up Four Day Louise every time they played it!
I don't remember them doing that. Although a possible theory is that the main riff is so similar to Razorblade and Rattlesnake is that half the band might have been playing that.

I thought Silks and Satins was played on the Rhinos tour - there was at least one acoustic song in the set I saw.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
I thought Silks and Satins was played on the Rhinos tour - there was at least one acoustic song in the set I saw.

Rover - can you remember whether was this performed by the band, or just Micky and Deke? The only acoustic stuff I can ever remember is when M & D did a couple of Everly Brothers songs, I'm wondering whether this is what you saw as I'm pretty sure they never performed Silks - although I stand to be corrected!

Mike Morgan

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 04:09:23 PM »
Nick Nation: 'I don't recall that one...'

I'll see if I can get someone to scan it.  It was (if memory permits) a blue folded sheet of A4 paper with the Rhino and golf club thing on the front.
Don't recall the circumstances around how I got it but I used to buy posters and badges back then and it may have come with that/them.