Author Topic: Current man band  (Read 39330 times)

Gavin Crumpton

Re: Current man band
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »
Both, eh?  C'mon then (in a non agressive way)? what about a bit of rational stuff and why's that the stance 

I've said at some length on here, too much for most people, why my stance is what it is. And taking Oric's advice I will refer you to my previous posts. I think if any more is to come out about what has happened and is continuing to happen that will be up to George and Bob.

Martin and Phil are IMO not very nice people. They are arrogant about their abilities without either the success in the music business or arguably the musical ability to warrant it.

They have been and continue to be in my opinion highly disrespectful (and more) to past members of the band especially the Jones family.

It is an affront to me and many others to see them using the Man band name in the way they are and quite offensive in the circumstances that they sing Dream Away and have the gall to dedicate it to Micky.

In short thats really what it's about.

William Rait

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 03:18:31 PM »
some of you know that as well as being a man fan,I am also a Glenn Miller obsessive. Relevance? Well Glenn has been dead (no controversy please :))since 1944 but every year a UK GM Orchestra tours,thers a European one and the Main Glenn Miller Orchestra in the USA. They obviously could be classed as a tribute band given that everyone concerned with the original 1938-42 band is now dead.However they are the "official" bands,legally backed by The Glenn Miller estate. Syd Lawrence's orchestra was a "trbute" band. However, IMHO Syd was the closest thing I've ever heard to the original and on some songs,even a diehard fan like me would be hard pressed to distinguish them.  So???? The debate about the name whether Glenn Miller or Man or Fleetwood Mac is for the lawyers, to me it's about the music. So, if anyone of the Man/George J or whoever comes to Glasgow,I would judge them on how well they play C'mon or Bananas or even stupid novelty songs about Kangaroos or Popemobiles and if I enjoy new stuff that the 68-76 lineup never did. However if a group of musicians call themselves Man then I think the bulk of the material should be from the existing Man playbook otherwise that would be trading on false pretences.

Mike Morgan

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »
Gavin, thanks for the reply, but the question was posed in response to a posting by Pete T.

Guess a differently phrased question such as
 'if George and Bob had left of their own accord and on good terms, would you still have a problem with the current line up?'
would have been better.

I saw a quote today which brought this board to mind:
" A danger sign of the lapse from true scepticism into dogmatism is an inability to respect those who disgree".

Dr Leonard George - no idea who he is / was.

Happy St David's day!

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 10:40:18 PM »
Gavin, thanks for the reply, but the question was posed in response to a posting by Pete T.

Sorry, I didnt realise this was a private forum

" A danger sign of the lapse from true scepticism into dogmatism is an inability to respect those who disgree".

Couldnt agree more. Shame some people here cant respect opposing opinions isnt it?

Michael Heatley

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 11:47:54 PM »
 :o

Jules

• Administrator
    • The Manband Archive
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 12:36:30 AM »
Boldly going.......

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 12:47:30 AM »
...Maybe, but still nowhere near as boring as Kingdom of Noise  ;D

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 01:07:10 AM »

Well theres 2 people it applies to obviously!

Wont be long now then we'll all be put out of our misery wont we!

Enjoy these gigs... they may well be the last...

Tel

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 03:43:54 AM »

Sorry, I didnt realise this was a private forum

Couldnt agree more. Shame some people here cant respect opposing opinions isnt it?

Compared to some of the forums on the old Interweb, it's pretty friendly and loving around here.

Try being a Doctor Who fan with Kids absolutely convinced that there should be more Star Wars/Star Trek type space battles in the series. But then I've only been watching it for 46 years so what do I know?

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »

Compared to some of the forums on the old Interweb, it's pretty friendly and loving around here.

Try being a Doctor Who fan with Kids absolutely convinced that there should be more Star Wars/Star Trek type space battles in the series. But then I've only been watching it for 46 years so what do I know?

Bring back the Sea Devils, thats what I say!

Rob W

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »

One can just make out Gavin's handwriting next to a little arrow pointing at the picture. It says.."this is Martin Ace"

;D

Tel

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »

Bring back the Sea Devils, thats what I say!

Well according to reports your wish maybe granted in the new series (either the Sea Devils or The Silurians anyway). And The Daleks as well

And Mr Moffat said he didn't want to rely on the past ???

Tel

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »

One can just make out Gavin's handwriting next to a little arrow pointing at the picture. It says.."this is Martin Ace"

;D

Resistance is futile  :o

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 07:10:32 PM »
'Nik Turner proudly displays the 95th version of 'Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Gagarin' which he didn't have anything to do with again'.

'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

sonic_hawk

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »
'Nik Turner proudly displays the 95th version of 'Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Gagarin' which he didn't have anything to do with again'.

;D ;D

Well, I didn't expect this thread to make me laugh, when I started reading it. On the thread in general, it makes interesting if somewhat gloomy reading. Hawkwind, too, have had the 'tribute band' tag applied to them, and that's despite them still possessing a founder member.