Author Topic: BITF, SM, & MD in Slow Motion?  (Read 10919 times)

Rob the Organ

Re: BITF, SM, & MD in Slow Motion?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »
My parcel was handed over today. We just got back from a long trip to the Gran Tetons, and other exotic locations. Just now hearing the "extra voice" version of Spunk. Nice. Great to hear Night In Dad's and Just For You (I haven't got to disc 3 yet). Really sounds fresh and full on.

I was sort of surprised that Tweke is never mentioned by name in the liner notes! Did I miss something?

Otherwise, despite a couple of small factual errors found in Deke's notes for the other two cds, it all seems like what I needed.

You might be pleased to know Man was well represented in the bins at Denver's best shop, Twist And Shout. I also spotted vinyl copies of the first three of Deke's solo lps.

I have a mountain of music to listen to know. Prices were very good at the Denver and Boulder shops, so I loaded up on music, filling a lot of gaps in the collection. Then we had to drive home...

Yes - I thought that - it's as if Tweke never happened. As such a huge fan so proud of his time in the Man ranks he must be mortified.

Didn't find me a copy of Clover's "Forty Niner" in those vinyl shops, did you?

Michael Heatley

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 07:03:29 PM »
Maybe Deke's still guilty he gave him his P45!  :o

Allan Heron

• Global Moderator
    • It's Just My View
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 10:52:55 AM »

The first two Clover albums would be a good idea for our friend at Esoteric to get their hands on (although a perhaps a little off-centre to the rest of their catalogue)
It's Just My View

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST........

Rob the Organ

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:33 PM »

The first two Clover albums would be a good idea for our friend at Esoteric to get their hands on (although a perhaps a little off-centre to the rest of their catalogue)

Good idea Allan. I don't think they've EVER been out on shiny plastic.

They're great LPs - far better than the slicker 6-piece (with Huey L) version that later signed to Vertigo and put out records that are far easier to come by.

Ron S

• Career Records
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 12:00:56 AM »

They're great LPs - far better than the slicker 6-piece (with Huey L) version that later signed to Vertigo and put out records that are far easier to come by.

Rob

I do have a copy, very clean too.. It was an interesting period piece.

when I was working at the Record Factory, in San Rafael, in 1978, I once wore my Clover badge. A woman came up to me and said, how do you know about Clover, and where did you get the badge? I told her it came from Stiff, I had been there that summer. She said, one of them was her boy friend, but no body knew the band.

Another time a woman came up with a copy of the Phil Lesh-Ned Lagin lp, Sea Stones. Being the wise guy I am, and my eye for the ladies, I told her I had to see her ID to sell this to her. (if you've heard it, you'd understand why this might seem funny). She giggled, and started to dig out her license! The guy with her, laughed too and said "look at my ID". I told him I was just teasing his date, but he insisted "look at my ID". I humored him and took a look, it was Ned Lagin.

And to get us back on topic... innit the Berkeley version of C'mon on Max Dark awfully good?
The Country That Rules Magnetism, Rules The World

Rob the Organ

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »

Rob

I do have a copy, very clean too.. It was an interesting period piece.

when I was working at the Record Factory, in San Rafael, in 1978, I once wore my Clover badge. A woman came up to me and said, how do you know about Clover, and where did you get the badge? I told her it came from Stiff, I had been there that summer. She said, one of them was her boy friend, but no body knew the band.

Another time a woman came up with a copy of the Phil Lesh-Ned Lagin lp, Sea Stones. Being the wise guy I am, and my eye for the ladies, I told her I had to see her ID to sell this to her. (if you've heard it, you'd understand why this might seem funny). She giggled, and started to dig out her license! The guy with her, laughed too and said "look at my ID". I told him I was just teasing his date, but he insisted "look at my ID". I humored him and took a look, it was Ned Lagin.

And to get us back on topic... innit the Berkeley version of C'mon on Max Dark awfully good?

I wonder if Lagin's relationship continued after she heard the disc? Ha ha.

As far as Dead spin-off stuff goes, it's funny Sea Stones came up in topic, as I was giving Howard wales/Garcia "Hooteroll" a spin earlier.

Any fan of Brinsley Schwarz should check out the first two Clover LPs. It's all there! The opening track "Harvest" and my favourites "Mr Moon" and "If I Had My Way" could have been on "Silver Pistol". Brinsley himself told me that when they weren't listening to The Band, Nick Lowe would be checking out early Clover, the first J. Geils LP and NRBQ.

Now - NRBQ are a particular favourite. Possibly the most impressive act - they went from Sun Ra to really good authentic Bill Black rock'n'roll in the blink of an eye, with three-part harmony Motown on the way! "Live at Ludlow Garage 1970" could almost be a contender for the best live album ever.....

Ron - by the way I saw Allen Toussaint play on Monday. Wow!