Author Topic: MAN - SOMETHING IS HAPPENING from Leeds 16-3-2008 on YOUTUBE  (Read 13399 times)

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
  • Micky Jones 1946 - 2010 Clive John 1945 - 2011
    • Nick Nation
Re: MAN - SOMETHING IS HAPPENING from Leeds 16-3-2008 on YOUTUBE
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 09:24:20 AM »
You'd get my vote, Ron - I reckon 'CDTM' was the album where the band sounded most comfortable in a studio setting. Other albums might have had a glossier finish (e.g 'Rhinos') but to my mind always seemed restrained. You had the band sounding nice and natural - consequently the playing seemed more relaxed and expressive. 

Been enjoying the Donovan's Brain stuff on your myspace site, by the way.
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Tony Smith

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 09:39:35 AM »
  ;D Hi Ron ive got your radio station tuned in but missed your show, does the station have a play it again thing like the bbc  or is it once its gone its gone ,  i cant get me head around the time differance  between our countries
cheers
tony

Colin Jouxson

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 07:26:18 PM »
Truly excellent stuff....... :-* :-*

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »
Keeping on the Phil front, most (if not all) of you will have heard Phil's classic 'Welsh R Blunt' on the second Neutrons album (another album sorely needing a remix, Ron!)

Some (if not most) of you will have also heard this song performed by Man in the early days of the Phil/Will/Clint line up - a good version appears on 'Not Man Enough'.

The song was apparently written during Phil's tenure with Piblokto but as far as I'm aware there isn't a recorded version of any description of this - or is there? I'd really like to hear it. In fact I'd like to hear the current band do it!

First prize is a Bounty Bar, delivered by Jenny Hanley. By hand.

Second prize is a also a Bounty Bar. Delivered by Mick Box. By mouth.   
'The Adventures Of The Celia Gang' digital download charity album for Micky available from the dedicated page on my website http://www.nicknation.co.uk/CeliaGang.html, note the CD has now sold out

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »
but if you bear in mind this was their worst gig on the tour then ...

:o

It was only the worst gig of the tour for those on stage, it was definitely the gig the band enjoyed least on the tour. But the performance was actually very good and IMHO better than most on that tour that I've heard. I think the sloppiest performances were probably the first and last gig of the tour for different reasons.

Of all the manband gigs we've filmed this is actually the one I enjoy watching the most.

Michael Heatley

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 10:44:27 PM »
I take your point - it's true that gigs are perceived differently from different sides of the monitors.

But I suspect it's when things are going well on stage is when the really iinspired things happen with a band like Man.

I only saw three gigs on the tour. The very first (Whetstone) inspired a sigh of relief, the second (Pompey) a gasp of amazement. By the third, Cirencester, I expected them to be brilliant - and they were.

Ron S

• Career Records
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »
  ;D Hi Ron ive got your radio station tuned in but missed your show, does the station have a play it again thing like the bbc  or is it once its gone its gone ,  i cant get me head around the time differance  between our countries
cheers
tony
cheers
tony

Tony, it's a seven hour time difference, so you'd have to tune it at 10pm for the start of the show. Right now there is no archive, we only have limited bandwidth. I'll be on again in two weeks.
The Country That Rules Magnetism, Rules The World

Ron S

• Career Records
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 12:07:08 AM »
You'd get my vote, Ron - I reckon 'CDTM' was the album where the band sounded most comfortable in a studio setting. Other albums might have had a glossier finish (e.g 'Rhinos') but to my mind always seemed restrained. You had the band sounding nice and natural - consequently the playing seemed more relaxed and expressive. 

Been enjoying the Donovan's Brain stuff on your myspace site, by the way.

As I've said before, doing CDTM was a pleasure, and a joy. they had good material, which made it pretty easy.

There is a load of unreleased and live Brain material here http://www.donovans-brain.net/music/index.html

Ron S

• Career Records
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 12:14:15 AM »
Keeping on the Phil front, most (if not all) of you will have heard Phil's classic 'Welsh R Blunt' on the second Neutrons album (another album sorely needing a remix, Ron!)

Some (if not most) of you will have also heard this song performed by Man in the early days of the Phil/Will/Clint line up - a good version appears on 'Not Man Enough'.

The song was apparently written during Phil's tenure with Piblokto but as far as I'm aware there isn't a recorded version of any description of this - or is there? I'd really like to hear it. In fact I'd like to hear the current band do it!

There was a demo that was apparently recorded in 1970. Do know why that didn't show up on any of Pete's reissues.

Who is she?

that sounds scary

Gavin Crumpton

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »
I take your point - it's true that gigs are perceived differently from different sides of the monitors.

But I suspect it's when things are going well on stage is when the really iinspired things happen with a band like Man.

I only saw three gigs on the tour. The very first (Whetstone) inspired a sigh of relief, the second (Pompey) a gasp of amazement. By the third, Cirencester, I expected them to be brilliant - and they were.

I think thats exactly right. I'm sure there were better performances on the tour than the Leeds one and Cirencester was probably one of those but there were also much worse ones. What is interesting is that I dont think anyone who was at the Leeds gig other than some of the band members have suggested that the Leeds performance was anything other than very good, see Tim's review on his website for example which I think is pretty much spot on.

Having said that I think the band are setting very high standards for themselves these days I think in spite of various reports of 'best Man gig ever' I dont think the band were entirely with their performances on the last tour. I'm sure they believe they can play even better than they did on this last tour and that will be worth witnessing if and when they do.

mikes

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 04:36:08 PM »

Brouhaahaa  :D Thanks, Nick! I'll meet Mick in two weeks on a scheduled interview. I'll be wanting to know whether he carries bounty bars with him and, the hell, why?!

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »
Mike - in which mag will your interview appear? I'd like to see what MB has to say.

Michael - I presume yours will be in 'Guitar and Bass'? I ended up missing the Tweke one unfortunately.

I would also like to apologise to all for lowering the tone with regard to the 'distribution methods' of Bounty Bars. If Ms Handley (sorry, Hanley) and Mr 'Box' (fnarr fnarr) are reading, which I'm sure they're not, may I particularly apologise to you both. It well never happen again.

To make up for it, I've allocated a third prize (for finding a Piblokto version of 'Welsh R Blunt', remember?)

This will be a Mars Bar 'projected' by Marianne Faithful, which....no, hang on.... 

mikes

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »
Sorry, Nick, I'm working for a daily paper in Germany mainly. Now and then an opportunity appears that allows me to dive into serious music journalism. Now this story with Mick is going to be quite funny: Heep are going to play in the local prison and I'm going to interview him while we are taken there - surrounded by coppers, in a coppermobile ...

If there should be a demand, I'll try to get it on board.

Nick Nation

• Crintabulator
    • Nick Nation
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »
People

I have exciting news which I must share! I am now, much to my pleasant surprise, in receipt of a copy of the Piblokto demo of 'Welsh R Blunt'. As you are no doubt aware, I was very keen to hear this and a prize was involved - a difficult decision fror the winner as I'm sure you'll agree - he did seriously consider Mick (and even Jenny) but at the end of the day he has chosen to receive his prize from Marianne, who will be 'popping over' shortly. Nice!